Trailer Locks

nphunter

WKR
A cheap easy way is a locking hitch lever, put your hitch in it, turn it around so it’s running parallel under the trailer, wrap both drag chains around the hitch and lock them together. All it costs is two locks and it much easier to cut one lock that 2.

I could not imagine living somewhere so crime ridden I need to remove the tires on my trailer as a theft deterrent.

Just move guys.
I was thinking the same thing. For me it would be more along the lines of your telling me that every time I want to use the boat, I have to put the tires back on, then take them back off when I am done?

If I had to do that, I wouldnt buy one.

Theft crime happens everywhere, don't be complacent.
Put an Air Tag on the boat motor and some of these other suggestions and you will be as safe as having an armed guard on it.

Weldor

WKR
See if you can use a conex lock, much harder to cut. Like the others said opportunity. Just make it hard on them. If they (thieves) really want it ,they will get it.

Fatcamp

WKR
I have both.

So long as you can do a bit of wrenching already it's kinda fun.

Here's the 40hp 2 stroke we are about to do a powerhead rebuild on.

20231010_162818.jpg

Boat it's going on. 1756 Xpress

20230910_173329.jpg

All the ideas about locking up your boat in here are solid. My theory is the more steps they have to go through the longer it takes, and time is the enemy of a thief.

Make it hard on them.

Attachments

• 20231010_162818.jpg
    20231010_162818.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230910_173329.jpg
    20230910_173329.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 7

Baddog

WKR
If there are long stretches where you won’t be using it pull a wheel off it and put it in the garage. Takes less than 5 minutes and you can’t steal it without it

packer58

WKR
Throw one of these on it and be done with it.

This one looks like about as good as it gets for a coupler lock, a little pricey but if you think about it we have all spent more on useless stuff. I think in general, like others have said ..... Don't be the easy target will eliminate most thievery.

Rich M

WKR
My boat is typically locked in a steel building. When I keep my boat at my house the trailer has a padlock on the coupler and a cable around an 18-inch maple tree thru the trailer and tire rim - heavy, cut resistant pad lock - obvious to those who look.

When we travel, I will run a cable thru the trailer and tire rim, I leave it very obvious.

As for stuff in the boat - either in locked compartment or moved into the garage.

The sad part is how many suggestions there are to protect your personal property from theft. We have accepted theft as normal.
That said- I use a ball lock/tongue lock/wheel lock combination. Someone still took my spare tire though.

Last edited:

Unckebob

WKR
I am buying a fishing/duck boat from a buddy and need a way to lock it. I dont have a fence or garage space to put it in so it will sit on the side of the house. I live on a fairly main road and while its a safe area, I dont trust people.

I am not super worried about it and know that there are the cheaper Reese branded ones that are 35-50 bucks. I am wondering if there are any in that similar price range that are better than others or if there is something less than 100 bucks.

Wathch the Lockpicking Lawyer videos on YouTube on the subject.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
A guy I know had his trailered tracked atv stolen right in front of his house in broad daylight.

He had a hitch lock on it.

The thieves used the saftey chains to hook on and drive away.

The neighbors Ring camera showed them dragging the rig down the street, sparks flying and everything.
So - just a reminder to lock up the safety chains on the trailer too.

I’ve seen this too. Even attached to / or a truck in front will not stop them if they want it.

Hitch lock + Wheel lock (I use the tri max, but they could just pull that rim). Add a chain/cable through the wheels.

You are just trying to slow them down. If they want it, it is theirs.

Unckebob

WKR
My boat is typically locked in a steel building. When I keep my boat at my house the trailer has a padlock on the coupler and a cable around an 18-inch maple tree thru the trailer and tire rim - heavy, cut resistant pad lock - obvious to those who look.

When we travel, I will run a cable thru the trailer and tire rim, I leave it very obvious.

As for stuff in the boat - either in locked compartment or moved into the garage.

Cables are useless. A thief can cut through one in no time at all. Get a high quality Abus chain.

elkivory

FNG
So long as you can do a bit of wrenching already it's kinda fun.

Here's the 40hp 2 stroke we are about to do a powerhead rebuild on.

View attachment 652333

Boat it's going on. 1756 Xpress

View attachment 652336

All the ideas about locking up your boat in here are solid. My theory is the more steps they have to go through the longer it takes, and time is the enemy of a thief.

Make it hard on them.
I have a 30hp 4 stroke in storage in Colorado. ( I am in Texas) I will be back there late spring and bought a panther trim tilt I will be installing. My question is, does the come along work well to lift motor. I will need to do pretty small vertical adjustments to line up bolt holes. I have a chain hoist I can take up there but I have a come along I keep there. Thanks

Fatcamp

WKR
I have a 30hp 4 stroke in storage in Colorado. ( I am in Texas) I will be back there late spring and bought a panther trim tilt I will be installing. My question is, does the come along work well to lift motor. I will need to do pretty small vertical adjustments to line up bolt holes. I have a chain hoist I can take up there but I have a come along I keep there. Thanks

Oh ya. That motor only weighs 180# and the come along handles it easily. Makes pulling it a simple task. I can do it by myself.

AZ8

WKR
I don’t have room at the house for storage, so mine is kept in a storage facility. Not Fort Knox security, but your average 8 foot high chain link fence type storage place with an open gate 7am-7pm.

I have one of those coupler locks similar to those described in this thread.

So far, knock on wood, my trailer is still there when I go retrieve it. Sometimes it’s 3-4 months in between uses. The fact that there’s dozens of people in and out of that facility on a monthly basis and my trailer is not gone is a miracle! 🤣