Trapping rifle?

What rifle do you trappers carry to dispatch animal?

Just getting into it. Thinking about using a ruger 10/22

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Catchpole for your bobcats it will choke them out pretty quick no blood, .22 for the coyotes IMO

Coldtrail

WKR
Sounds to me like you are just looking to buy a new rifle, understandable...so, buy what you want and just take it trapping with you. Dispatching animals is a very small part of the game of trapping, don't feel like you need to labor over the right tool for the job as far as the gun is concerned, once you run a line, sell some critters and get some feedback from the buyers you'll find that gun will prob get used very little.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds to me like you are just looking to buy a new rifle, understandable...so, buy what you want and just take it trapping with you. Dispatching animals is a very small part of the game of trapping, don't feel like you need to labor over the right tool for the job as far as the gun is concerned, once you run a line, sell some critters and get some feedback from the buyers you'll find that gun will prob get used very little.

Spot on, I’ve seen single shot 22s using 22short rounds and watched an old timer use a chunk of pipe to dispatch. A lump on the head and a few blows to the tracheae make quick work with little fur damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Your 100 percent right. I want another rifle

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
On that note, a new rifle is great reason, nice lever action 22 mag w solids.
But I did most of my trapping w 22 pistol, little Ruger Bearcat and was plenty to get job done when needed
Have fun. Trapping is way under rated.

Coldtrail

WKR
I might be the exception, but for me any "new" trapline gun will look more like an "old" trapline gun after a season or two. The work of running a trapline cuts into time spent maintaining a firearm. If I were buying new I'd go the stainless/synthetic route, Heavy ironsights, 22LR with ability to shoot .22 shorts. My current do it all gun is a 60's vintage H&R .22 bolt carried in the bed of my truck in a chunk of PVC pipe w/plugs on both ends. If I lose it I'm out the $20 I bought it for in 1982.

mgray

FNG
By the time my basket is loaded and I carry a few traps in my hand, the last thing I want is a rifle to carry. I have a cheap Heritage revolver that I carry in a holster. That being said, I have a Henry that I really enjoy shooting.
I'll also second what was said above, a trap line turns a nice gun into a trapping gun real quick.

BLJ

WKR
I always thought a Savage Rascal would be nice for a trap line. Cheap, light and accurate enough for dispatch, rabbits or squirrels.

WCB

WKR
I'd go with a revolver of some sort or a cheapy like a savage rascal. Throw it in the bucket and be done with it. Anything bigger becomes a hassle IMO. I guess if you can get to everything by truck or ATV/UTV who cares.

I use a Colt Frontiersman pistol with .22 Shorts

cnelk

WKR
I wish I had a .22 LR Lil Henry Mini Bolt Youth back in the day when I trapped.

I bought my son one 15 years ago and man, that thing is sweet.
Small and very accurate

I've carried my marlin model 60 for a few years. Man trapping is hard on guns. Unfortunately it got pretty beat up. I wanted to switched to a cheap rough rider 22lr pistol. I think they are $120. Much easier to Carry a holster and not have to lay you gun down all the time. But these days I have a locking all metal catch pole. I just choke out the animal and it's quick and clean. No blood and no holes and skids in the hide is a huge plus.

wytx

WKR
Carry a .22 revolver with shorts in it and a rifle with a sling for longer shots on coyotes.
I learned the hard way when I had a female in a trap and the male standing by her run off when I walked up. I had my pistol for dispatching and nothing for the big male as he ran away at about 100+ yds.
17 HMR shoots really flat and out there but iffy on coyotes. 204 will reach out there a ways but careful on bullet selection.
A .22 hole in a bobcat head is nothing at all after drying and stretching. I do not oppose the catch pole dispatch on cats but I personally can not do it and that is just my issue and I don't know why.

The Henrys are nice rifles, we have several and really like the lever guns. Lots of affordable options for varmint rifles out there though.

TheGDog

WKR
Ya figure you'd want something where if a non-trapped animal presents itself as a target and is in season, that you're ready to take it as well.

RE-EDIT: apparently ya can't put .22 LR in a weapon whose chambers are cutout for .22 WMR.

If you get a revolver, you can elect to use the low-powered subsonics without issue.

Maybe best in-between solution would be a .22 Revolver with longest barrel you can find? So you have half a chance to make a longer shot if you get presented with a shot opportunity on a game animal not in a trap?

A .380acp to the back of the head works good too. Even on deer-sized game.

Last edited: