Travel kennel for a Griff

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
Scheels has the Rufflands and they ship them to you for free. I have bought 2 from them. I don't have a Griff, so no help with size.

Also, you can get a deal on them from Cabelas, sometimes. They have a 20$ off $100-$199 purchase right now, and you can get 9% back from Active Junky. I think you can have them shipped to a store and not pay freight or maybe even have them shipped to your house with no freight. They also have Lucky Duck kennels.
Scheels doesn't do the free shipping on them anymore. I looked at getting one and they want $150 for shipping. I ended up getting mine through LL Bean with free shipping. With that said, I love my Ruff Land for my Lab.

Attachments

• Ruffland Shipping.PNG
    Ruffland Shipping.PNG
    35 KB · Views: 22

Dos XX

WKR
Scheels doesn't do the free shipping on them anymore. I looked at getting one and they want $150 for shipping. I ended up getting mine through LL Bean with free shipping. With that said, I love my Ruff Land for my Lab.

I wondered how they were doing it. I didn't know LL Bean had them, either.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
I'm surprised too. Scheels has them now it looks like though, where LL Bean is estimating a ship date of March 2022. They are damn near impossible to find in stock right now, but for the increased cost of shipping from Scheels I think the OP would be better off spending that $450 on a Lucky Duck or a Gunner.

Haakon14

FNG
Recently purchased Ruffland kennels after previously using basic Furrari crates for years. I would give it a great review, light enough that it is easy to take in/out of hte truck and house, sturdy, and easy to clean. I have a 60lb GWP that is almost 12y.o. and a now 9m GSP that will be about 50lbs. From a size perspective, it depends on your intended use and space in your truck. I went with the large. I drive an Expedition Max so have plenty of space, my dogs live in the truck overnight when we're on a hunting trip, and my GWP is old with bad hips so has a difficult time getting up. The extra space makes it a bit easier for her. My GSP is a 'stretcher' when she sleeps so I find the longer kennel is a bit more comfortable for her. That being said, I could have gotten by with an intermediate if I needed to fit in a truck. If your Griff is expected to be 70-75lbs, I'd shy towards the Large if it will fit in your vehicle, but that's just my opinion.

BadDogPSD

WKR
We gave two GSP's in the 60 lb range. They would fit fine in the medium Gunner kennels, but we went with the intermediate size. Gunner lists the measurements and makes recommendations on what size to get.
The kennels are very nice, but as mentioned a bit heavy.

TX_Diver

WKR
I've got a Ruff Tuff (appears to be Ruff Land now). Periodic use for a 70lb lab and 45lb border collie over the last 6 years (and my kids love to climb all over it).

Held up well so far. The door opening both ways is nice too.

2ski

WKR
I was I. Sportsman's in Bozeman and saw they had a large and medium Lucky duck. So I would imagine they have them online. As mentioned,, finding most of these brands right now is tough. Noone has stock. My brother put money down for a Dakota low profile but no idea when it will come in. I had my dog with me so I snapped a picture of him next to it. His back was a little lower than the top of the kennel. And his head is above it. On the medium Lucky Duck. I'll add this. I like the door on the Gunner and Dakota way better. The LD has a hard plastic door that looks like metal. But it isn't.

Attachments

• 20211222_172501.jpg
    20211222_172501.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 20

2ski

WKR
Also, whatever you get, save the box. That way you can send it back if it's the wrong size. I let my boss cut up the box for his kid for a fort at the office. Had I needed to return it, I would've been SOL.

2ski

WKR
I think my main concern is if I should get an intermediate or large. I drive a 4 runner so space is a little bit of a worry
If I can get one in my CRV I would think you can get one in the 4 runner. Mine sits facing sideways on the seat in back. If need be you can out down a seat and put it forwards or backwards.

OP
Eltigreblanco
I ended up getting a pretty good discount on dakota 283 kennel. Thanks for all the feedback

There is a very thorough thread on all the high end kennel brands over in the bird hunting forum. I just read through it recently and settled on a gunner intermediate for my GSP that’s about 60 lbs. Would have probably been happy with a lesser model but I wanted a dedicated traveling kennel that stays strapped into the back Of my hunting rig all the time. With a little patience I found one on facebook classifieds for about half what they cost new so that made the decision easy.

Also for you SUV guys out there, friends of ours use the Ruffland Large with the slant back in their runner to maximize space. Works fantastic. We've got three Rufflands in various sized, would buy another tomorrow without hesitation.

Vandy321

WKR
For anyone looking, I did see a LG Gunner for sale I think on here, in the DEN area for $550.

Disclaimer, it's not mine and I don't know the seller, but a great deal if it's in good shape.