Traveling I-20 & Overnight Stop - ASK A TEXAN !

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I plan on driving from Atlanta to a destination just outside of Abilene in late March. Interstate I-20 the whole way pretty much. Will make one overnight hotel stop, but plan on doing 11-12 hrs driving first day. Got to do the big miles day 1 since I have to be at my destination noon’ish next day. Google maps says that puts an overnight stop somewhere between Terrell, TX and south suburbs of DFW at about Arlington. Could stop a little further east. Could drive a little further west, but 12 hrs. driving will likely be all the seat & windshield time I’ll want for day one.

Asking Texans & others familiar with this area where’s a reliably safe stop location? Please advise. Just keep me out of the known, bad “hoods”. If you were asking me the same about the Atlanta area, then I’d definitely tell you where NOT to stop! 😁 Thanks.

HeathH

FNG
I’d recommend Arlington or go on to Weatherford. At Arlington you can stay a couple decent places right near Collins St exit or go up Collins St to the AT&T Stadium area. There’s lots of options there. I stayed at a Courtyard Marriott there behind Pappaddeaux for Safari Club. Weatherford is all good as far as I know.

mlgc20

WKR
I’d recommend Arlington or go on to Weatherford. At Arlington you can stay a couple decent places right near Collins St exit or go up Collins St to the AT&T Stadium area. There’s lots of options there. I stayed at a Courtyard Marriott there behind Pappaddeaux for Safari Club. Weatherford is all good as far as I know.
Agree. I'd try and get all the way to Weatherford. Nice small town with decent lodging and restaurants. Then you don't have to worry about DFW traffic when you head out the next day.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I have looked at Weatherford and it could be a choice. Good suggestion. Looks good on google maps. Pro is that it shortens day one and DFW traffic (?) is past. Con is that I may be ready to be to call it a day 1 max at about 12 hours. However, time changes March 13th I think, so there’s some additional sunshine hours towards end of day. Thanks.

WoodBow

WKR
Just stop in terrell and experience Bucee's if you never have. Right there by it, like at the edge of their parking lot, is a very nice new la quinta. There are also 2 other major hotels within a stones throw. There are multiple restaurants and a nice movie theater all right there in that little bubble.

Not sure if your trip requires ice but 20# bags are 99 cents at bucees.

I drive that stretch of 20 every dang day of the week.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree. I'd try and get all the way to Weatherford. Nice small town with decent lodging and restaurants. Then you don't have to worry about DFW traffic when you head out the next day.
I did think about morning traffic. Like ATL, I’m sure DFW morning weekday traffic can really be a challenge some days, & this will be a weekday/weeknight stop. Weatherford sure would make day 2 easy.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Just stop in terrell and experience Bucee's if you never have. Right there by it, like at the edge of their parking lot, is a very nice new la quinta. There are also 2 other major hotels within a stones throw. There are multiple restaurants and a nice movie theater all right there in that little bubble.

Not sure if your trip requires ice but 20# bags are 99 cents at bucees.

I drive that stretch of 20 every dang day of the week.
Yes, I did see the LaQuinta on the map at Terrell, & further research shows its new. LaQuinta’s are generally good hotels too. We’ve just recently got a Buc-ees in north GA & it’s big news. My wife & her sister made a Saturday morning 1+ hour drive just to go see it. I’d already stopped there when up that way for other reasons & it is quite a sight to see!

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
If you stay in Terrell, I would advise to leave no later than 5:30am maybe 6:00am at the very latest or you will hit considerable traffic on I-20 west on a weekday. I travel this route several times a year.

Weatherford will have you dealing with no traffic and westbound on the interstate within minutes of leaving the hotel. We stay in Weatherford if we are having to be somewhere in Fort Worth for a AM appt.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
If you stay in Terrell, I would advise to leave no later than 5:30am maybe 6:00am at the very latest or you will hit considerable traffic on I-20 west on a weekday. I travel this route several times a year.
Thanks. This is advice I need to hear. 👍

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Y’all can also throw in your comments & advice on “go eat supper here” if you stop “here”. 👍

FLATHEAD

WKR
If it was me, I would plan on leaving ATL the afternoon/evening before your planning
on leaving and doing that stop in Leeds, AL. That gives you a little cush for the next
2 days.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
If it was me, I would plan on leaving ATL the afternoon/evening before your planning
on leaving and doing that stop in Leeds, AL. That gives you a little cush for the next
2 days.
The Buc-ees force is strong. :LOL:

Weatherford if you are going to stick with your plan. Stop at the smokestack in Thurber about 30 minutes west for locals breakfast. Fuzz is usually around mile marker 395, he is a good guy and usually focusing on east bound traffic as it drops in speed limit crossing into Parker? county.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Weatherford if you are going to stick with your plan. Stop at the smokestack in Thurber about 30 minutes west for locals breakfast. Fuzz is usually around mile marker 395, he is a good guy and usually focusing on east bound traffic as it drops in speed limit crossing into Parker? county.
Love a good breakfast! Sounds like solid Texas advice. Thanks.

Darryle

WKR
In East Texas there is a Robertson Hams, stop by for a sandwich for lunch and then stop at the Smokestack just before Ranger hill for supper and have the grilled pork chops if given the chance.

You can hit up a Bucee's in Leeds, AL off of 20 on your way. That way you can scratch that itch before Texas and get all of the jerky or trail mix you can handle.

I'd also recommend the brisket breakfast taco if you hit Leeds around breakfast.
And som carnivore black steak seasoning

OP, if you make it to Weatherford, you will miss the morning DFW traffic,