Traveling to New Zealand with fire arm

Hello Guys,
Can anyone please tell me what exactly I need regarding paperwork, registration, and forms for coming to New Zealand with Fiream?
Has anyone traveled there recently and can please tell me what I need?
I tried to register through NZ web but can't do it from my location,
Is also form 4457 for entry back to the US only thing that I need.
Thank you so much for all the help

Why is it not allowing you from your location. Really shouldn't be an issue. If hunting with an outfitter they will provide all information needed for applying for your visitors firearms permit. All else is needed is the 4457 form. My dad an I went in April and no issues in Auckland getting the permit. Just grab your bags and head to to NZ police counter by the customs line on the left hand side. Try to avoid LA on the way back if possible. We had a 3.5 hr connection and nearly missed it due to the TSA ans customs officers not having any clue how to deal with firearms.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
I am using their rifles when I go in April. I've heard from multiple people it's a huge hassle. To each their own though

OP
R
OP
R
Why is it not allowing you from your location. Really shouldn't be an issue. If hunting with an outfitter they will provide all information needed for applying for your visitors firearms permit. All else is needed is the 4457 form. My dad an I went in April and no issues in Auckland getting the permit. Just grab your bags and head to to NZ police counter by the customs line on the left hand side. Try to avoid LA on the way back if possible. We had a 3.5 hr connection and nearly missed it due to the TSA ans customs officers not having any clue how to deal with firearms.

I am flying from NYC to Queenstown with a stop in Auckland.
I am assuming the bags will be picked up in Queenstown.
Can you pls share the link with me or the forms what you had to have with you.
Thank you

OP
R
Thank you for your help

You're welcome. Just went through this, although postponed the trip due to wingman needing surgery on his (previously) amputated leg stump.

They seem to happily wait months to even look at your application and then apply frantic effort in the last couple of weeks before your visit to actually process the application. But they did approve mine in time. Not knowing if it would happen, we avoided any reservation that we couldn't cancel without any penalty. Possibly this caution is not necessary. :)

Last edited:
Like stated just use the visitor firearms license. If you have questions the NZ police are very helpful by email.

Also apply on the NZeTA app for your NZeTA and IVL. Very easy process on the app.

Find a big old one like this guy.
d05130af87971fc288509a70df1ea2b4.jpg

Not sure if it’s changed since I went in 2019, but it was a $25 firearm permit and you picked your gun up at the police station at the Christchurch airport. Easy
It may be more difficult since the plandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it’s changed since I went in 2019, but it was a $25 firearm permit and you picked your gun up at the police station at the Christchurch airport. Easy

No change. His entry point is Auckland so you pick your firearm up at the police desk there. They check paperwork and then bring you right to the front of customs. Re check your firearm for the connection and pick it up at oversized baggage at your destination.

OP
R
Like stated just use the visitor firearms license. If you have questions the NZ police are very helpful by email.

Also apply on the NZeTA app for your NZeTA and IVL. Very easy process on the app.

Find a big old one like this guy.
d05130af87971fc288509a70df1ea2b4.jpg

Thank you, so helpful, will do our best, to get one of those, if I may ask, and not asking for honey hole did you use Heli to drop you off for your hunt, and if so which one, there is a lot of them and everyone has different prices and locations, probably everyone has the spot where they take clients, just trying to narrow it down and go by recommendation.Thank you

OP
R

Thank you for you answer,if i may ask also about the
You're welcome. Just went through this, although postponed the trip due to wingman needing surgery on his (previously) amputated leg stump.

They seem to happily wait months to even look at your application and then apply frantic effort in the last couple of weeks before your visit to actually process the application. But they did approve mine in time. Not knowing if it would happen, we avoided any reservation that we couldn't cancel without any penalty. Possibly this caution is not necessary. :)
MIke,
one more question,
with the 4457 form, CBP do you fill up that at the airport on the day of departure to NZ or I have to go before to CBP office and have that done.Thank you

Thank you, so helpful, will do our best, to get one of those, if I may ask, and not asking for honey hole did you use Heli to drop you off for your hunt, and if so which one, there is a lot of them and everyone has different prices and locations, probably everyone has the spot where they take clients, just trying to narrow it down and go by recommendation.Thank you
Ya we used a helicopter drop. I had an outfitted hunt so I'm not 100% sure who the service was. There was tahr everywhere though. Think if you find one you like and just start emailing they might point you in the right direction if booking with them. They are limited as to where they can land woth how rugged the terrain is. After drop off we shot my bull within 4 hrs and glassed another 5 shooter bulls within range over the next day and a half

OP
R
Ya we used a helicopter drop. I had an outfitted hunt so I'm not 100% sure who the service was. There was tahr everywhere though. Think if you find one you like and just start emailing they might point you in the right direction if booking with them. They are limited as to where they can land woth how rugged the terrain is. After drop off we shot my bull within 4 hrs and glassed another 5 shooter bulls within range over the next day and a half

Nick,thank you.
which area have you guys been hunting, on the west side of the south island or south?
I am flying to Queenstown and I have a couple of Heli companies in my radar,I contacted some on the south of the island as well, and the prices are all over the place, that's why I am asking.

Nick,thank you.
which area have you guys been hunting, on the west side of the south island or south?
I am flying to Queenstown and I have a couple of Heli companies in my radar,I contacted some on the south of the island as well, and the prices are all over the place, that's why I am asking.
No worries. We were on the west side of the island. We were north of Queenstown a good ways.

OP
R
No worries. We were on the west side of the island. We were north of Queenstown a good ways.

Thats where i am planning to go.
One last question and I asked before that,how did you handle the 4457 form,did you had it all ready and stamped before you came to the airport in US or you had it done at the airport the day of departure from USA.Thank you

Thats where i am planning to go.
One last question and I asked before that,how did you handle the 4457 form,did you had it all ready and stamped before you came to the airport in US or you had it done at the airport the day of departure from USA.Thank you
Ya you can get them stamped and filled out any time prior. I wouldn't wait until the day you fly out. They don't expire