Travis Bertrand's (Drhorsepower) semi-live hunt in Arizona

I ended up taking him to Chris Harlow and devin beck at Arizona wildlife designs.

Yeah ok have seen someof thier work good deal. Let me know when you need me to drive it to Reno for you and we can go fish the truckee,or head to Battle Mountain for some Big Rocky Mountian Mules,or take mom shopping whatever........can you feel me!!!!!!!

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah ok have seen someof thier work good deal. Let me know when you need me to drive it to Reno for you and we can go fish the truckee,or head to Battle Mountain for some Big Rocky Mountian Mules,or take mom shopping whatever........can you feel me!!!!!!!

Sounds good ace! Depending on how long it takes, I was hoping it would be a good excuse to come down next January and chase coues!

It is noon, I'm heading back into town. Negative on javelina sightings. Found a few deer though. My hunt is officially over unless one of the little f'ers rolls into camp this evening( very likely)

Thanks you to all for taking time out of your life to follow and encourage me.

In a few days I will do a recap of this wonderful experience.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm doing some more sightseeing today then heading up to Phoenix tomorrow to visit some of my wife's family for the day. That night I will drive us up to the Grand Canyon before making the final push home. Any "must sees" at the canyon?

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Went to some underground caves today, it was really cool! Heading to Phoenix in the am.....

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pulled into Reno last night around 3:15. Temp was 16 degrees, makes me miss Arizona even more. We opted to pass on Grand Canyon due to weather. I will try and post a summary later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for all of the support guys!

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
What a month! This trip was full of highs and lows, not all shared on this thread. We had deaths in the family, and met some lifelong friends. I really could not have asked for a better trip. I want to head back down there in 2014, we will have to look at finances though. WHEN I do go back down, I will be focusing on Coues deer. When folks talk about the Coues bug, I understand now. They are addicting, cool little creatures.

This was by far the hardest, most fulfilling hunt I have been on. The quality and quantity of deer is not like home or alot of western states I have been to. If you are looking to go down there to harvest a giant 200" desert buck, A) don't go B) Hire a big name outfitter. If you like hunting in January, this is the hunt for you.

I learned so much about myself, my family, gear and deer. My family is simply amazing. what wife would agree to be dragged 1,000 miles to hang out with the kids in a trailer while I go hunting? What wife would encourage me to take more time off when our deadline is approaching? MINE, she is awesome. You all know how awesome my mother is too! as far as gear, spending 3 weeks with the same gear really points out the good and the bad features of items. I was nervous about shooting rage broadheads, they did as advertised though, huge entry and exit hole. There are alot of stuff I could talk about as far as gear goes.

One must also realize the Mule Deer down there are different than the deer one might hunt closer to home. I usually look at highest peak in the unit I draw and go from there. These desert bucks do not like altitude above 7-7.5K for one. I also caught a bunch of deer on southern slopes in the sun during mid day. That doesnt happen often in my experience.

The biggest thing im taking away from this month is meeting my new friends down there. They did so much for me, for that I'm forever in debt to them. I was invited to hunt black bear archery this summer. I might have to take them up on that just to accompany myself around good people.

Thanks for all of the support from everyone. The live hunt made it really fun! Like robby said, At times it can take away from the hunt but what it adds is a whole lot more than is taken.

elk247

FNG
On my way to Tucson. My mom says she has two spots open for the adoption but she will make the decision after Mother's Day. She can be persuaded. For the right price, I will give you her weaknesses!
Just read through the live hunt...Awesome job. What a buck. Btw, mothers day is over. If you need another brother.... seriously great thread, fun to read. Congrats

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife received a large crate yesterday while I was working, this is what was in it! I'm really happy with how he turned out.

4014F9D8-A0F9-400B-A721-D76655BAA204-4627-000002924785A084_zps4285af59.jpg

AECACA4C-89D0-40E7-A191-01C7D1F0F715-4627-000002923B22F20C_zps75f0ecda.jpg