Tree Stands for Mountain Whitetail?

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in hearing from those that hunt white tails in the mountains, particularly in the South, if you hunt out of a tree stand? Night and day difference for me in flatland when it comes to actually seeing deer, but I would think the natural terrain would effectively serve the same purpose in the mountains.

Should get to hunt some steeper/mountains terrain next season and starting to think about setups. Leaning towards just using a turkey vest to cut down on weight and hunt off of the ground.

In most situations I would think I could sit at higher elevation facing lower elevation to get the same advantage a tree stand provides.

Drenalin

WKR
I stopped hunting out of a stand a few years ago. They definitely offer some advantages, even in more mountainous terrain, but I personally prefer the mobility of ground hunting. Usually hunt from a higher vantage point, but with a rifle I’ve also done well being at the base of a mountain or ridge looking up, or on an opposing ridge.

Brushcreekbill

Lil-Rokslider
Gun or bow?
With a gun I’ve generally preferred to be on the ground. It lets me be more mobile, and during rifle season there’s less underbrush.

I’ve carried one of these for the past few years when hunting from the ground with a gun. Very comfortable and easy to shoot out of

With a bow I definitely prefer to be in a tree. I bought a tree saddle off the classifieds here last summer. My whole setup (saddle, 40’ rope, single climbing stick with platform, rappelling gear) weighs in at 7.5 pounds.

Lowg08

WKR
I use pre set hang on stands or ground hunt. I’m definitely in the mountains and the south. Western North Carolina. Depends on deer density. Not all terrain and funnels or trails are the same. Lots of scouting lots and lots

Macintosh

WKR
Northern new england, so def not the south, but yes to mountains and eastern vegetation. Extremely low deer density in nearly all mtn areas around me, so many people dont stand hunt at all, or if they do its a dawn/dusk thing as part of a longer day out moving around.
I have found a few spots on medium-size pieces of public where hunting pressure sends a lot of deer onto a few hard to hunt hillsides. Often around me where deer hole up its a steep hillside thats crazy thick with beech whips (beech hold their leaves almost all winter so it stays thick, makes a ton of noise, etc even in late season), with so many whips visibility is very limited at ground level. Even with a rifle you are basically archery hunting if you can only see 30 yards. Sometimes these places simply getting up 12 or 15 feet will expand your view exponentially. Sometimes you can find a little cliff or a big rock to get up on and get a better view, but often not. Most of these places are several miles in though, so for me a real mobile setup is more or less a must if you cant or dont want to leave a stand up for a long time. Around me you’ll sometimes find ancient ground blinds made from logs and fallen branches on the natural features that provide a view like this, those I rarely see being used and can be a great spot to plan an AM or PM sit, lunch, etc if you are out still hunting or something like that.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Would have to be a smoking hot spot for me to tote a stand in where I hunt.
Easier, quieter, quicker to just use the topography to my advantage.
And we're talking low deer densities, I feel it's better to just move around.

OP
B

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Gun or bow?
With a gun I’ve generally preferred to be on the ground. It lets me be more mobile, and during rifle season there’s less underbrush.
This year it would probably just be with the rifle, currently planning to bow hunt higher density areas.

Northern new england, so def not the south, but yes to mountains and eastern vegetation. Extremely low deer density in nearly all mtn areas around me, so many people dont stand hunt at all, or if they do its a dawn/dusk thing as part of a longer day out moving around.

I always see the snow tracking footage up there, looks like a fun way to hunt.

Easier, quieter, quicker to just use the topography to my advantage.
And we're talking low deer densities, I feel it's better to just move around.

Kind of what I was thinking. I would think being quieter and able to cover more ground would increase my chances of seeing a deer more than the stand.

I firmly believe 90% of the deer use 10% of the woods. I’ve got two places that has deer every time I sit. Just takes allot of boot leather too find those spots
Are you placing stands on these locations?

Lowg08

WKR
Yes I am. I don’t gun hunt. Just bow so I hang 20 yards off the trail. It’s the only places I have pre sets and I don’t hunt hot sign. I hunt historical sign that is there year after year after year. Basically you got to be in the bedroom or as close as you can stand it

ethan

WKR
As stated above, gun or bow makes a difference. I only bow hunt and 99% of my hunting is with a mobil set up in the south East Tennessee mountains. A good backpack or pack frame is pretty important, but you can make it work. With a boned out whitetail being about 40lbs or so, it’s not a major deal to pack out an animal and your stand if you have to.

Lowg08

WKR
As stated above, gun or bow makes a difference. I only bow hunt and 99% of my hunting is with a mobil set up in the south East Tennessee mountains. A good backpack or pack frame is pretty important, but you can make it work. With a boned out whitetail being about 40lbs or so, it’s not a major deal to pack out an animal and your stand if you have to.
Im going to bet you ain’t real far from me. Im 24 miles from the Tennessee line. Hartford isn’t real far

Macintosh

WKR
I always see the snow tracking footage up there, looks like a fun way to hunt.
Yep, super fun and probably the most effective way to find a deer when the density is so low. Theres still plenty of times when theres no snow though—rain followed by a freeze so the entire woods is like an eggshell. Does not hurt to have some tricks up your sleeve regardless of whats “most effective”. If thats a tree stand every once in a while, more power to you, makes perfect sense to me.

16Racing

FNG
I always used a climber stand usually hunt public but switched to a saddle and it's alot better can get in almost any tree takes a little to get used to but way more versatile

Lowg08

WKR
I always used a climber stand usually hunt public but switched to a saddle and it's alot better can get in almost any tree takes a little to get used to but way more versatile
Saddles are an awesome way to hunt public. I was an exclusive saddle hunter until I broke my leg last year. Now I’m back in a stand again

Long time mountain hunter here before moving to Texas... Grew up in West Virginia and lived in the southern Appalachian mtns of Alabama for 7 years. With the above information (Rifle hunting mainly) I would side with everyone above..sit on the ground and stay mobile learning the best spots for future hunts. If bow hunting in the future I would certainly get elevated in a tree. I tried the saddle and it just was not comfortable for me for more than an hour. If I am sitting all day then deal with the weight and bring out the summit climber as it is like a recliner and typically if in the south then pines are everywhere...if only a morning or evening then the lone wolf hang on and two or three sticks with aiders gets me plenty high.

I use my western pack when I tote these stands and carry them like a quarter cinched into the load shelf...felt weight is next to nothing, but it can be a bit bulky/wide. Good Luck!

Long Cut

WKR
Beast stand or LWCG

I’ve tried bow hunting off of the ground, it’s not for me.

I bow-hunt Georgia, our September-January season leaves our deer extremely wary.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I have found its best (for me, bowhunting) for whitetails with a climber. Some like saddle better for less weight. Allows for mobility, but also security from being smelled or seen. Love the scenery too, and I can get up as high as I want to see as far as I want and feel is beneficial.

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted East Tennessee for 30 years, killed multiple over 120”. Hunting on the ground is easy access but it gives you no advantage. There will be deer pass by you and smell you long before the buck you’re after comes by.

Lowg08

WKR
Nit sure where Hartford is, but I’m south of Crossville on the plateau
Lol. You said mountains I figured you were in the mountains not the hills. My bad. I’m in the Cherokee or pisgah national forest. Can’t remember what is in the I40 gorge.