What’s your whitetail camo/apparel set up this year?

What camo, apparel, clothing set up are you using for white tail this year? If you live somewhere cold like I do what do you use as the temperature changes? Where do you hunt and what style? Tree stand, ground blind, etc.
I’m getting back into archery white tail after almost strictly waterfowl and upland hunting for the last 5 years and all my waterfowl camo is to loud. Curious what you all use for the elusive whitetail whether it be a full Sitka set up, solid colors or Walmart special Camo.

I’m hunting only in the Midwest this year, both from the ground and tree stands or saddle. Trying to ball on a budget until the wife finishes grad school, so for early - mid season I picked up what’s advertised as a bug jacket and pant from cabelas. Reminds me a lot of a leafy suit but slightly less restrictive without all the leafyness hanging off it. I’m gonna run that overtop of my regular clothes (scent treated) as I wear a lot of outdoor clothes and colors on the day to day and increase layering and base layers as it gets colder. For mid to late season I have Camo northern flight bibs and a real tree jacket of some sort.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Probably not too relevant as we hunt WI northwoods on the move, but the "classic" NE setup - Johnson Mills black/green with orange cape Jac Shirt, wool pants, merino or merino/polyester base layers, motley collection of pendleton and other wool shirts in various weights, uninsulated La Crosse Granges with thick and thin wool socks and poly liners, minus33 blaze merino buff cap or blaze baseball cap. If we happen to set up for ambush sites, we both have layers of synthetics, as shown, also from Cabela's (I marked up for camo).

DSCN2523.JPG

Last edited:

WoodBow

WKR
The early season stuff is easy. You can wear regular street clothes as long as you setup with adequate cover. The leafy suit type things work great to add camo if you want it. I wear hiking pants and a thin merino long sleeve.

As temps drop, the biggest thing you are going to want is clothing that gives wind protection. If you are gun hunting, and noise is more tolerable, this can be done with casual wear clothing. If you want windproof and silent, that tends to start getting expensive. Sitka stratus system is my choice. It does not have much insulation value at all but allows me to layer under it to suit the temps. You can wear fleece pajama pants under it if you want. Or puffy pants. Or jeans. Same with tops. A fleece hoodie works. A puffy is warmer and the noise is supressed by the stratus over it.

On the cheaper side of things, carhart bibs and jacket will serve you well.

And about the scent side of things. Don't worry about it. No need for special detergent or treatment. If they get downwind of you, they will smell you regardless.

For a tree I have been hunting in solid pants and optifade tops the last few years. Ive never been to convinced on camo while up in a tree. Ground hunting I have on an sub alpine hoodie with the facemask and always have on a ghillie. The bear in my profile pic was killed at 9 yards with a ghillie and solid pants on. Hunting with my compound I use the facemask but with my stick bow I always use face paint when I am on the ground.

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
I'm wearing my old woodland MARPAT cammies, pretty much what I wore in the Corps with better boots. I'll add layers as it gets colder and the woods lose their green then switch over to realtree Scentlok top and bottom with appropriate layers. Im in Indiana, right now early season it's getting into the 50s and will drop to the teens probably before the season ends. Hunting in thick woods without much wind chill if any.