Trekking poles & Shelters

So I've been doing a lot of research on shelters and tryin to find the best one that's gonna suit me for what I want to accomplish I've noticed lots of tents and tarps using trekking poles for set up. Now do you guys take two sets of poles a set for your shelter and a set for hiking/ hauling your meat or do you find the right stick out in the woods? I have noticed some shelters you would only need one pole and have the other for using at your discretionary . Was wondering how people do their set ups. I just think it would be completely asinine to have two sets of poles. Or am I completely over thinking the situation?

littlebuf

Banned
i agree, over thinking it a bit. i find once camp is made i dont use trekking poles all that much. heres my tarp tent, sets up with one pole leaving me a frre one to use if i see fit.

Attachments

• IMG_00000071.jpg
    IMG_00000071.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 151

Lawnboi

WKR
Keep in mind with the kifaru tarps you can pitch them with about anything. Sticks, an arrow, pack stay, trekking poles, fishing rod tube ect.

Another thing I like about my paratarp is I don't Have to pitch it one certain way. If I'm in an area where there's a lot of cover I can pitch it up high for max ventilation and a boat load of room. I can stake one side flush and raise a side if I want a little more protection, and I can seal the whole thing right to the ground if need be.

littlebuf

Banned
yup, that's it. Ive been running it for a few years now and am really happy with it. Ive taken it through some conditions your probably not suppose to take it through. and it is only a single wall tent so it comes with single wall tent issues in certain conditions like condensation. but ive found if your not just a great big pussy you can do just fine in a single wall tent :)

OP
cali_hornhunter
This is littlebuf's tent if I remember right.

http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html
Thanks justin checked it pretty slick and especially for the price

Keep in mind with the kifaru tarps you can pitch them with about anything. Sticks, an arrow, pack stay, trekking poles, fishing rod tube ect.

Another thing I like about my paratarp is I don't Have to pitch it one certain way. If I'm in an area where there's a lot of cover I can pitch it up high for max ventilation and a boat load of room. I can stake one side flush and raise a side if I want a little more protection, and I can seal the whole thing right to the ground if need be.
Lawnboi have you had any issues getting wet per say or is it on how you set it up and have you had any issues with creepy craw lies or anything. Like I've said never done the floor less thing.....

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have been really happy since going floorless most the time. Here is a another pic of littlebuf's Tarptent with my Cuben fiber tarp in the background.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'll keep it simple and say the only time I prefer a tent is when bugs are a major concern. There is lots of reading to be had on floor vs floor less on here if you look around as well.

No worries with creepy craw lies as if they get in, they can also get out. And if a mouse or other rodent wants in your sealed up tent it will. I don't camp in areas with scorpions or large venomous snake populations, so that's something to keep in mind.

Water is all about where you pitch. Iv been wet in floored tents as well as floor less. With floor less at least the water has somewhere to go if you do encounter a problem. You can bring in your wet gear with no concern as well. And best yet, got go in the middle of the night and I'll just hang it outside the bag and let er rip if i know I'm going to be moving.

I use a bivy in conjunction with my para tarp for the most part as well. Not always needed but adds to the versatility of the setup.

Versatility keeps me using the system and I can honestly say I'm very happy to carry this setup for 3.5 season use. 4 season I break out the 6 man tipi and stove now.
By far my favorite thing about the kifaru tarp and bivy combo is the number of ways I can pitch it over your garden variety tarp tent. I almost never set up my tarp the same way.

bandit1

FNG
I wouldn't say you're overthinking it. I would say that it all depends on the scenario. The first couple of times I used my SL5, I used my trekking poles lashed together as the center pole. This left me without a trekking pole while hunting out of that camp. Bummer for my trashed knees when it came time to pack meat down some seriously steep terrain. For me, that's when I really need at least one trekking pole. uphill no worries, downhill....mayday, mayday, mayday. I now bring the center pole for the tent and feel the added weight is a price I'll gladly pay to keep the trekking poles available. Obviously, if you're on the move and camping in different locations every night I'd do the tent with my trek poles. The smaller shelters that only need one trekking pole would work fine for me as I really only"need" one pole for my knees. Like you said, there is usually an opportunity to use a stick also. If you wanted to buy a shelter that used trekking poles, there is usually an option to buy custom tent poles from them.

Rucker61

WKR
I wouldn't say you're overthinking it. I would say that it all depends on the scenario. The first couple of times I used my SL5, I used my trekking poles lashed together as the center pole. This left me without a trekking pole while hunting out of that camp. Bummer for my trashed knees when it came time to pack meat down some seriously steep terrain. For me, that's when I really need at least one trekking pole. uphill no worries, downhill....

Order one of these from John at Bearpaw. Worked just fine with my SL5.

http://bearpawwd.com/poles_stakes/poles_stakes.html#jack

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
My Mountain LT is the same. I just cut sticks for it when I get to my camp spot. Then you can take your poles with you.

MattB

WKR
Dumb question, but if you use trekking poles as your center pole why can't you just pull them out, collapse the shelter, and use the poles during the day - replacing them at the end of the day?