Tricer LP or MTN HNTR tripod head

Brusso89

FNG
Looking to replace my current tripod head. I'm only rocking some 12x50s and occasionally a buddies midweight spotter so I don't need anything heavy duty. I Was pretty set on the Tricer LP but I recently saw this new MTN HNTR lightweight head. Since the MTN HNTR is pretty new, maybe there isn't that much feedback on them yet but it does look interesting. Which way would you guys lean and why?

Here is a link too both -
https://tricerusa.com/products/tricer-lp

ChrisAU

WKR
Well I have a Wiser which I came in here to recommend, but I left $85 poorer. Gonna try that Fluid head out for that price.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I much prefer the Wiser over the Tricer. BUT for 85 bucks it's worth a shot. I wonder about long-term durability for that price. The Tricer is not the same quality as the Wiser, I wonder if the Nano will have the same issue.

Last edited:
The Nano Pro is just a rebranded SmallRig, which many members here have experience with. It's only $50 on Amazon.
I've had both the Smallrig and now the Tricer. The Smallrig is somewhat steadier overall, and functions more like a true fluid head. My biggest issue is that the pan axis on mine is extremely stiff, though it has loosened with time. Some have reported the same issue but it seems that the majority of them are ok. My plan is to fixture it on my drill press and leave it to spin for an hour or so :)
The Tricer is smoother and lighter. I've found it to need more tension than expected on the pan axis, but once set it works well.
The verdict is still out for me on which I prefer overall.

sdolan617

FNG
No experience with the MTN HNTR lightweight but really happy with my Tricer LP. Handles my 15s with ease and a big improvement over the Field Optics Research Ultra Low Profile pan head I was running previously

sr80

WKR
The Nano Pro is just a rebranded SmallRig, which many members here have experience with. It's only $50 on Amazon.
I've had both the Smallrig and now the Tricer. The Smallrig is somewhat steadier overall, and functions more like a true fluid head. My biggest issue is that the pan axis on mine is extremely stiff, though it has loosened with time. Some have reported the same issue but it seems that the majority of them are ok. My plan is to fixture it on my drill press and leave it to spin for an hour or so :)
The Tricer is smoother and lighter. I've found it to need more tension than expected on the pan axis, but once set it works well.
The verdict is still out for me on which I prefer overall.
I have two of these small rigs, and one was stiffer than the other, I had this silicone lubricant (aerosol can) in my tool box. I sprayed some into all the seams of the head where they pivot and turn and it really loosened it up. I wonder if there is some rubber seals or something in there that cause it to be stiff? Not sure but it helped.

OP
Brusso89

Brusso89

FNG
I’m not sure how I’ve never hear of the smallrig ch10 that this nano head looks identical too. I just emailed MTN HTNR asking if there is any differences between their nano and the smallrig ch10. I tried to not sound like an ass when asking but I am curious. I read through the rockslide thread about the smallrig ch10 and one thing that was mentioned was it states on the smallrig website using it in dusty or sandy conditions can damage the head.

My Smallrig froze up solid in Montana when it dipped below freezing. My trust VA5 had no problems.

Need to test the tricer in freezing conditions. So far it’s impressive and can actually hold my btx 85 pretty well although I won’t be using it for that.

ZackP

WKR
FWIW I ditched my VA5 for the Tricer. That thing is pretty slick for the weight.

svmoose

FNG
Hey guys, this is Brad Carter. I own MTN HNTR. The Nano Pro is not a rebranded small-rig. I know they are similar sized, but there are quite a few differences if you look closely. The profile is quite different, shorter handle, etc. I actually didn't know about the small rig until the final stages of development of the Nano Pro. I wish I could say that I have many years of durability testing on the Nano Pro, but we go prototypes in last fall and have been testing them extensively. We made some upgrades to the final version - like larger aluminum handles, and a shortened metal handle with rubber molding. Pre-orders were shipped last weekend, and we got through them all on Monday.

Our goal was to build a fluid head that was more compact and lighter that wouldn't compromise function vs. other heads on the market. I wanted top loading functionality and arca-swiss mounting. I think we accomplished that and were still able to maintain a really nice price point. I get that you can pickup the small rig for $50 and I need to order one to do a real side by side comparison with our new fluid head. It's also no the lightest tripod head on the market, but I believe it is the lightest fluid head. In its lightest configuration (no handle or QR plate) it weighs in a right under 7 ounces, but I've tested it with large spotters like the Swarovski BTX with 115 objective.

I just thought I would jump on and let you know a little more about it. Feel free to ask any questions. Brusso, I didn't see your email. Anyone can shoot me an email as that's the best way to get ahold of me [email protected].

Attachments

• Nano Pro copy.png
    Nano Pro copy.png
    1 MB · Views: 123

intunegp

WKR
I got my MTN HNTR fluid head Saturday. 15x56 binos and adapter will be here today, but no tripod until Wednesday. I'll come back for an update when I have the whole setup as it will be used in the field. Please also note this is my first fluid head so I don't have a good basis for comparison.

Initial impressions:

Packaging is exactly what you'd expect from a generic brand on Amazon with an all caps nonsense name. Thin cardboard box with a list of basic features printed on the outside. Nothing MTN HNTR branded. Made me consider ordering a SmallRig CH10 to do a side by side comparison and I may still do this because this thing is clearly produced by a Chinese OEM. At this point there is a fair possibility that both would be returned in favor of a Wiser or Tricer but I'm curious.

The head seems to be of decent quality but both axes feel extremely stiff even though they move smoothly. Again, it is currently not mounted to a tripod or holding any weight, but it feels much stiffer than I expected. Not sure if it's normal for fluid heads but when the vertical axis is rotated beyond a certain point in either direction, it "springs" back and returns to a more level position unless held there and locked.

The spring loaded release for the arca plate binds up in the body and sometimes causes me to push the button really hard only for it to "slam" open. Far from the smoothest thing in the world and not very satisfying. I added a little grease where the finish shows drag marks and it is a little better but not fixed. Maybe this will wear in eventually and get smoother but right now I'd hate to try to change plates in a hurry as this would make it very clumsy.

Overall fit and finish seem decent, but not great. The anodization is mostly even other than a couple spots. There is a seam where the two halves meet under the arca plate that isn't perfectly aligned but not out far enough to cause issues loading/unloading/sliding the plate.

At the end of the day and prior to doing any actual testing, my feelings are mixed and I'm not sure if I'm being unfairly swayed by the feeling that this is simply a cheap Chinese head from the SmallRig factory with some minor changes or if my expectations for an $85 fluid head were too high to begin with. I knew I was buying a budget head so I'm trying to keep that in mind and I'm open to the idea that maybe when it's screwed on a tripod with an almost 3lb pair of binos sitting on top it will feel better and do what I want it to do well enough.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Not sure if it's normal for fluid heads but when the vertical axis is rotated beyond a certain point in either direction, it "springs" back and returns to a more level position unless held there and locked.
Pretty standard on a fluid heads to do that. Probably a designed feature and not a fault.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I got my MTN HNTR fluid head Saturday. 15x56 binos and adapter will be here today, but no tripod until Wednesday. I'll come back for an update when I have the whole setup as it will be used in the field. Please also note this is my first fluid head so I don't have a good basis for comparison.

Initial impressions:

Packaging is exactly what you'd expect from a generic brand on Amazon with an all caps nonsense name. Thin cardboard box with a list of basic features printed on the outside. Nothing MTN HNTR branded. Made me consider ordering a SmallRig CH10 to do a side by side comparison and I may still do this because this thing is clearly produced by a Chinese OEM. At this point there is a fair possibility that both would be returned in favor of a Wiser or Tricer but I'm curious.

The head seems to be of decent quality but both axes feel extremely stiff even though they move smoothly. Again, it is currently not mounted to a tripod or holding any weight, but it feels much stiffer than I expected. Not sure if it's normal for fluid heads but when the vertical axis is rotated beyond a certain point in either direction, it "springs" back and returns to a more level position unless held there and locked.

The spring loaded release for the arca plate binds up in the body and sometimes causes me to push the button really hard only for it to "slam" open. Far from the smoothest thing in the world and not very satisfying. I added a little grease where the finish shows drag marks and it is a little better but not fixed. Maybe this will wear in eventually and get smoother but right now I'd hate to try to change plates in a hurry as this would make it very clumsy.

Overall fit and finish seem decent, but not great. The anodization is mostly even other than a couple spots. There is a seam where the two halves meet under the arca plate that isn't perfectly aligned but not out far enough to cause issues loading/unloading/sliding the plate.

At the end of the day and prior to doing any actual testing, my feelings are mixed and I'm not sure if I'm being unfairly swayed by the feeling that this is simply a cheap Chinese head from the SmallRig factory with some minior changes or if my expectations for an $85 fluid head were too high to begin with. I knew I was buying a budget head so I'm trying to keep that in mind and I'm open to the idea that maybe when it's screwed on a tripod with an almost 3lb pair of binos sitting on top it will feel better and do what I want it to do well enough.
Thanks for your impressions @intunegp.

My MH fluid head arrives today. I'm looking forward to using it on my monopod.

I returned a couple like priced FH's bought on Amazon to support a small USA business like MH.

Eddie

svmoose

FNG

Initial impressions:

At the end of the day and prior to doing any actual testing, my feelings are mixed and I'm not sure if I'm being unfairly swayed by the feeling that this is simply a cheap Chinese head from the SmallRig factory with some minior changes or if my expectations for an $85 fluid head were too high to begin with. I knew I was buying a budget head so I'm trying to keep that in mind and I'm open to the idea that maybe when it's screwed on a tripod with an almost 3lb pair of binos sitting on top it will feel better and do what I want it to do well enough.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm interested in getting a lot of feedback over the next few weeks as guys start using the tripod head. It does seem pretty stiff when it isn't mounted on a tripod. I've had a few guys talk about it springing back up when tilted. I've experienced this on a lot of fluid heads, including the Surui VA-5. When the fluid gets compressed it will push back a little bit. It's easy to notice when there's no weight mounted on top, mount an optic and you won't notice it. This little head really shines when you get it in the field and get some weight on top of it.
I'd love to hear more feedback once you get an optic on it and start using it.

Brad

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my Tricer last week and tested it in the field yesterday. It really is surprisingly smooth and efficient for a non-fluid head, and I'm really starting to be weight-conscious with gear upgrades so this one checks all the boxes. Only gripe, and it's a minor one, is I wish the handle nested down more vertically for storing. Very happy with it overall though and plan to have it in my pack for a long time.

sr80

WKR

Initial impressions:

At the end of the day and prior to doing any actual testing, my feelings are mixed and I'm not sure if I'm being unfairly swayed by the feeling that this is simply a cheap Chinese head from the SmallRig factory with some minor changes or if my expectations for an $85 fluid head were too high to begin with. I knew I was buying a budget head so I'm trying to keep that in mind and I'm open to the idea that maybe when it's screwed on a tripod with an almost 3lb pair of binos sitting on top it will feel better and do what I want it to do well enough.
There is probably half a dozen of these fluid heads ive seen online that are the same chassis, with slightly different knobs, handle attachments (but with the exact same handle) etc, and different names on them. Id bet they're alll the same and made in the same chinese factory just stamped differently.

intunegp

WKR
There is probably half a dozen of these fluid heads ive seen online that are the same chassis, with slightly different knobs, handle attachments (but with the exact same handle) etc, and different names on them. Id bet they're alll the same and made in the same chinese factory just stamped differently.

Very possible and not at all surprising. Even when one OEM makes essentially the same product for a variety of companies, sometimes the retailer can pay extra for tighter tolerances, better QA, materials, nicer packaging, etc. I bought it for the head, not the box, but taking it out of the shipping package really made me feel like "oh I could have just bought the ULANZI/SMALLRIG/NEWEER/RAUBAY/etc.

And on that note, I think I've found a match: RAUBAY Compact Video Tripod Fluid Drag Head CF99

This one appears to have the exact same handle and overall profile as my new MTN HNTR. Arca release and locking knob are the same. Axis locking knobs are slightly different on mine but when compared to the pics on MTN HNTR's site they're identical. Exact same advertised weight and arca plate. Same empty/unused threaded hole in front of the arca release. Really the only visible difference are the "pockets" under the vertical axis locking knob...the MTN HNTR is smooth on the sides.

The first review on the RAUBAY is how the pan is much too stiff and causes the head to unscrew from the tripod which is my fear. I guess we'll see tomorrow when my tripod gets here but the MTN HNTR might be going back if that's the case with it as well. I'm all for supporting small US business, but I'm not sure that totally applies when someone in the US creates a brand name and sells an existing Chinese product with their name and logo.