Trip cut short due to altitude sickness

We got back from NW Colorado last night after driving out there last week and arriving the Thursday evening before the opener. We camped at 8400 feet and hunted the first two days of the season from 7500 feet to a little over 9000 feet. On Monday we hunted up to 9750 and had a near encounter with a cow elk until the wind shifted and he took off over the ridge line.

On Tuesday my son woke up with a pounding head ache, stomach issues , blood shot eyes and his face was all puffy. I took him down to town which was at 6600 feet and after 4 hours with little relief we drove back up to camp and cut our trip short by 4 days and made the 1900 mile trip back to NJ.

We took Diamox for the 4 days prior to him getting sick. We literally have tidal flooding every full moon, new moon or noreaster in our yard so you can't have much more of a difference in altitude that we experienced. I am grateful that he is ok but we both want to go back and he feels bad for all the money I layed out to take 12 days off, licenses for the both of us etc.

Does this mean he will get it again at that elevation? Any advice on what we should do is greatly appreciated!

JWP58

WKR
I can't answer your question but I remember kifarucast having some Dr on specifically about altitude sickness. They might answer it during that interview.

Scorpion

WKR
We got back from NW Colorado last night after driving out there last week and arriving the Thursday evening before the opener. We camped at 8400 feet and hunted the first two days of the season from 7500 feet to a little over 9000 feet. On Monday we hunted up to 9750 and had a near encounter with a cow elk until the wind shifted and he took off over the ridge line.

On Tuesday my son woke up with a pounding head ache, stomach issues , blood shot eyes and his face was all puffy. I took him down to town which was at 6600 feet and after 4 hours with little relief we drove back up to camp and cut our trip short by 4 days and made the 1900 mile trip back to NJ.

We took Diamox for the 4 days prior to him getting sick. We literally have tidal flooding every full moon, new moon or noreaster in our yard so you can't have much more of a difference in altitude that we experienced. I am grateful that he is ok but we both want to go back and he feels bad for all the money I layed out to take 12 days off, licenses for the both of us etc.

Does this mean he will get it again at that elevation? Any advice on what we should do is greatly appreciated!

The Kifarucast that was referenced is the best resource I’ve found for high elevation pursuits.

Getting it once does not necessarily have any influence on future trips to high elevation. One of the guys on that episode grew up in Leadville and got AMS before on a hunt.

On my first Colorado hunt I got AMS and early stages of HAPE but have not had any symptoms on subsequent trips. We went straight to 8,500’ to camp and began hunting.

Best recommendation that I can make is to spend a night in Denver or Colorado Springs and then another night near the hunting area or at base camp with minimal exertion. Planning a day or two to help with acclimation has paid dividends.

Mosby

WKR

I got sick a few years ago during a scouting trip. It sucks really bad and it isn't something anyone can really control. You can do everything right and still get sick.

My understanding is that altitude sickness is impacted by a number of factors and just because you got sick once, doesn't mean you will again. Just because you haven't in the past, doesn't mean you won't in the future. You can't predict it based upon age or previous occurrence.

Dehydration can be an huge issue and part of it. We hunt over 10,000 feet most of the time in Colorado. I drink water to excess and over hydrate prior to arriving in camp at altitude. No soda etc. I monitor my urine for color. I take Diamox for two days prior and the first few days at altitude. I take advil constantly(read a study that says it reduces chances of AS). I also have pills for nausea that helps my stomach. I give myself at least two days at altitude before hunting.

One of things I tell everyone prior to leaving, is that if anyone gets sick the hunt is probably over. Take precautions and do what you can do to prevent it but it is what it is.

You did the right thing by leaving and tell your son not to worry about it. It happens. A young man died a couple of years ago in Colorado from AS. He got sick on a ski trip and rather than leave, his parents thought he was ok and went out for dinner. He was unresponsive when they got back. There is always next year.

OP
F
no answers, but so sorry for you & son, that has to be super disappointing and better luck next year.

It was super disappointing.

He was so upset that he ruined "my hunt". I kept telling him that he didn't ruin it by reminding him we were starting to figure it out. We got to my top 3 place from my e scouting. The number one spot had an 850 foot drop in .3 mile to the bottom of the drainage. It took over 2 hours to get down but we had bugling elk on the next ridge but we cliffed out and couldn't get to where we had responses.

As we turned around to go back up we bumped into local guy and he said he had been hunting that drainage for the last 10 years and we were the first people he ever met there other than two buddy's that hunted there too. He only bowhunts the opening weekend because he is a HS cross country coach and he has gotten 3 bulls and 2 cows hunting only two days a year. He actually gave us directions to where he got the cow but i was too wiped that day. Day two and spot two turned up nothing and then on day 3 we hunted higher and found a watering hole and after sitting it for about 2 hours we had a cow come into 80 yards but the wind switched and blew our scent to it and it was gone. I am now confident that I can find elk by e scouting and if I have enough time I can be successful!

Hopefully there aren’t any issues when we get back!

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Sorry to hear, it sucks but it happens. Take solace in the fact that you did the right thing. AMS is no joke in itself, couple with the fact that you can end up with HAPE or HACE and it can be extremely serious.

To add to what has been said, which is all solid advice, there are other elevations that hold elk. If altitude proves to be a repeat issue for him, that doesn’t have to be the end of his hunting. Elk can be found all the way west to the Pacific and South through AZ and NM.

Try (or have him try) a summer time trip doing all things right next year.

dtrkyman

WKR
Bummer but glad you bailed, not worth the risk, I’ve never seen it that severe but in my experience hydration is a major factor!

When I was guiding fisherman in the mountains I stated making them all down a bunch of water on the drive out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Bummer but glad you bailed, not worth the risk, I’ve never seen it that severe but in my experience hydration is a major factor!

When I was guiding fisherman in the mountains I stated making them all down a bunch of water on the drive out!

We left camp with 3 liters of water in our bladders each morning and typically drank more than a gallon each day while hunting plus more back at camp later.

Which is ironic, since Diamox is a diuretic. (y)

87TT

WKR
I think I had it one time at around 10500 ft. Drove back down to 7000 and was OK. Aspirin and coffee helped. I think the caffeine helps a lot (also a diuretic). I've also hiked to over 14000 with out issue and camped and fished over 11000 so who knows.

Trial153

WKR
I havent seen any research that indicates that over hydration will prevent AMS

Ratbeetle

WKR
I had a bit of AMS while climbing Elingwood Ridge on La Plata. Felt like my eyes were going pop out of my head. Worst part was the most efficient way down was to finish the climb. Made for a long miserable day.

Been to 14k many times before and after with no issues. Was above 12k for about 10 hours today. Not sure why that time got me.

Glad your son is ok. There is always next year.

fwafwow

WKR
So sorry about your experience. FWIW, I'm trying to avoid this for myself (in part) by doing the hypoxia tent training and intermittent breathing (not while exercising).

OP
F
Camp low and hunt high.

We camped at 8400 feet and he had no issues for 5 days between 7500 and 9300 feet. On Monday we hunted up to 9750 roughly and Tuesday he woke up sick. Like I said I drove him into town and it was at 6600 and he got no relief. So we bailed on the trip.

About 6 weeks ago I was in Lake Tahoe with my wife on a business/pleasure trip and she got altitude sickness at 6200 feet. According to what I read on Wikipedia 20% get it at 8000 feet and 40% get it at 10,000 plus and some get it as low as 6200. She had a mild case of it with a headache, dry mouth some stomach cramping. The day after we got home she lost 7 pounds of retained fluid. Maybe it’s genetics. I don’t know.

We plan on going again and just going to hope it works out.