Tripod for thermal

satchamo

WKR
I currently am running a slik 700 with a nightsnipe ball head. The ball head sucks and honestly cost me a bobcat yesterday. That said - I don’t hate the slik, for the cost it’s a great option to begin but I’m graduating beyond that now and looking to get a more robust tripod and head setup.

I’ve looked at two vets and fat boy but the cost is more than I can stomach.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a tripod and head combo for say close to $500-$600 all in? I actually have someone I know selling a Leofoto leveling head so I may grab that and just find legs to pair up. But open to ideas either way!

I am using a 243 AR10 and I do attach via a Swiss arca. I’m tall - 6’4” so I need a set to fit my height as well.

Innorel with a good leveling base or big ball head is the best bang for your buck I am aware of. If you are worried about height send me your current tripod height and I will measure mine maxed out.

Mssony352

FNG
I use the basic Recon with ball head. It is light and has worked great! I bought a saddle adapter for my bolt guns. I think it retails for around $300

How does it compare to two vets or fat boy? I’m asking because I’m trying to understand a 3-$400 price jump for FB or TV
No personal experience with the two vets. I have a pva comp40 but my first tripod was the innorel with a leveling base. Never had any issues with the innorel but the biggest performance change for me was going from a leveling base to an anvil 30.

Now with the price of the RT90C increasing, I feel there are as good or better values out there.

Vortex Radian for $600. With the RT90C and the Radian next to each other, the Radian is the better tripod. Plus if you accidentally leave it leaning against a tire and run it over, you know you are getting a brand new one for free.

Also Leofoto has good deals a lot with a combo on sale plus an additional 20% off. They also have their MA-30L which is a great shooting head.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Now with the price of the RT90C increasing, I feel there are as good or better values out there.

Vortex Radian for $600. With the RT90C and the Radian next to each other, the Radian is the better tripod. Plus if you accidentally leave it leaning against a tire and run it over, you know you are getting a brand new one for free.

Also Leofoto has good deals a lot with a combo on sale plus an additional 20% off. They also have their MA-30L which is a great shooting head.

Which leofoto tripod legs do you like?

If I was buying I would buy this set.

It is made for the Anvil-30/MA-30/MA-40

The 403 means 40mm and 3 sections. The least amount of sections the more stable and the bigger diameter legs the more stable.

There is a version with a different apex that you could use a regular ball head, leveling base, etc on. That one would be more versatile.

Their site is kinda hard to navigate. I have to search for the actual product a lot.

Is that true since they have a shit warranty? 5 years isn’t much when it’s $$$.

They’re the most stable tripods on the planet, I know ton of people that use them and I’ve never heard of anyone having the use the warranty. I’ve met the RRS SOAR guys at matches and they’re a great group.

But go ahead and buy some Chinese piece of shit with a better warranty.

They’re the most stable tripods on the planet, I know ton of people that use them and I’ve never heard of anyone having the use the warranty. I’ve met the RRS SOAR guys at matches and they’re a great group.

I did see someone that needed the warranty. And they wouldn’t warranty it until he blasted them on the net.

I’m not saying it’s not the best out there. I’m saying after seeing that interaction between consumer and company there is no way I would expect it to be a buy once cry once tripod from a company with shitty customer service. And a shitty warranty for the cost of the product.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

RRS makes great tripods. But, to say a $600 tripod from some of the other companies is a pos is a bit of a stretch. There are few instances where the user will actually have a better experience with the RRS tripod over some of the others. Similar to a lot of very expensive gear items, you will pay a large premium for RRS for a slightly better product. Each person has to decide the actual value for themselves.

One thing to remember about tripods is they WILL wear out. That's when it could make sense for some people to choose something like the Vortex since they will 100% fix or replace it when it wears out. And, in the case of a tripod, I don't feel it's the same as a scope that can totally fail. Tripods tend to loosen/wear out over time.

There is an RT90C with a head on SH for $325 right now. I almost grabbed it for a backup.