Tripod for western hunting?

Kurts86

WKR
If you are worried about how much it cost, you can be perfectly continent with a glassing tripod and head for $200-$300 with a weight of 2-2.5 lbs. Having a glassing tripod is absolutely a requirement for western hunting.

To start getting into the minimum shooting stable tripods you are going to have a spend $400-$500 and carry a 4 lb tripod like a Leofoto LS-324. RRS ascend/14 series tripods can be shot from but they cost $1,500 and weigh around 3lbs. Both are realistically sitting kneeling stable for shots out to 500 yards with good technique, midsized calibers and a spotter to call impacts. Higher end shooting tripods are 4-8 lbs and $1,500 or so.

I have been messing with tripod shooting the last 2 years after on a single 4 day hunt I passed multiple 500 yard sitting shots that left me going home empty handed. I don’t hesitate to carry a 4 lb tripod anymore on prairie or mountain day hunts

Wrench

WKR
I see it as them choosing to become specialized in different kinds of shooting than offhand and improvised positions. Offhand shots and improvised positions are great if you can pull them off but I think a majority of the time the person isn't experienced enough and it results in more wounded animals. Missed opportunities are preferable to risky shots for me personally.

You don't need to do too much to shoot off of your tripod by the way. Just get a pint size gamechanger with git-lite fill (1.1 lbs) and put it on top of the tripod. You now have a shooting rest and don't need to go contort yourself around a rock or tree limb. You can also put the bag on a tree limb or rock as well to make those rests better. Just make sure your tripod is sturdy enough to handle the weight of the rifle.

This is valid. I don't think shooting off a tripod is a viable option for people who are counting ounces, mainly because they just don't tend to use tripods sturdy enough to be of use for shooting.
.....and the recoil impulse is too fast to control with one consistent point of contact for 99% of shooters.

nmarchr

FNG
The Bog-Pod death grips have been great for my kids and I. They’re heavy to pack around, but worth it in my opinion.

Good to know... I dont see myself packing a 1lb bag around just so I can shoot off a tripod though.

As for trees, I have found it to be alot easier to grab the main trunk with your hand, and rest the rifle on top your arm, near the tree . Its actually pretty solid
Up to you but that particular bag is for shooting off of just about anything. I use it to shoot off the thin rail of a treestand out east with nearly benchrest stability but you can use it to shoot off just about anything, or even as a rear bag if you're shooting off a bipod for some reason. This is an image from just promotional stuff but it does accurately capture the use of it.

RHBBO7JQQE2UZSHOFZY6FNSZLM.jpg

It is not about distance but the ability to identify fragments of an animal that is mostly obscured.

Guarantee folks are missing out on a lot of animals that are closer due to the inability to identify pieces of an animal unless they hunt in a magical place where the animals are 100% in the open, perfectly broadside, under perfect lighting, etc.

If a person were to listen to the experts, including many on this site, an 8x or 10x is all you need for finding animals for miles "out west". But it is crazy to watch a deer bed down at 300 yards with SLC 15s (or even an STX) and almost completely vanish with just the tips of the rack visible.

I agree 100%. Since picking up a tripod last year it has opened my eyes a bit. Need to do more research

Up to you but that particular bag is for shooting off of just about anything. I use it to shoot off the thin rail of a treestand out east with nearly benchrest stability but you can use it to shoot off just about anything, or even as a rear bag if you're shooting off a bipod for some reason. This is an image from just promotional stuff but it does accurately capture the use of it.

I hear what you are saying. Just seems like one more thing.. For prone and sitting, I have used my pack alot. It takes practice too, but it is solid.

A shitty pic, because everybody loves pics.

20221022_102555.jpg

Offhand shots and improvised positions are great if you can pull them off but I think a majority of the time the person isn't experienced enough and it results in more wounded animals.

And therein lies the crux; how lazy and ill-prepared American riflemen have become in the last 20 years. No one wants to become proficient with their firearm from the four basic field positions. Instead, everyone from the age of 45 and down wants to be the next "Chris Kyle". Ridiculous. Pathetic even. An American disgrace, actually.

I carry my tripod around with a shooting yoke mounted, and remove the yoke for glassing. Otherwise, it's ready to be deployed for a shot, and I don't have to screw around with trying to slide a rifle-mounted rail into the tripod head.

Here's the yoke I use. Cheap and light.

This allows for a REALLY solid sitting or kneeling shot using a backpack for rear support, and a moderately stable standing shot (that's one that takes a bit more practice.

Here's the tripod I'm using. It's stable and tall enough for glassing with my BTX, but not tall enough for standing with binoculars.

If you don't need or want a tripod for glassing, learn to shoot with trekking poles like in this video. I use basically the same approach, just with my glassing tripod and yoke.

Stalker69

WKR
Might look at pig tripods, reasonable price. Then add a ball head, arca Swiss for binos and or rifle. Just my 2 cents.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

Im finding the Switchback to be a good blend of shooting and glassing tripod. it is a jack of all trades, master of none type scenario but feel very comfortable shooting off of it

id_jon

WKR
I hear what you are saying. Just seems like one more thing.. For prone and sitting, I have used my pack alot. It takes practice too, but it is solid.

A shitty pic, because everybody loves pics.

View attachment 578830
I will also advocate for a git-lite bag. I never take my rifle anywhere without it. While I hear you that it is one more thing, it serves many purposes. I kind of hate clipping in my binos on my tripod now, I just put my bag on top and rest my binos on it. I can have my spotter setup, and just glass with my binos off the top of it so it's easy and quick to switch if I want to look at something closer.
It opens up a ton of terrain as suitable shooting positions also.
It makes a great pillow too.
IMG_20230502_155217255_HDR.jpgIMG_20230505_090712112_HDR.jpg

I will also advocate for a git-lite bag. I never take my rifle anywhere without it. While I hear you that it is one more thing, it serves many purposes. I kind of hate clipping in my binos on my tripod now, I just put my bag on top and rest my binos on it. I can have my spotter setup, and just glass with my binos off the top of it so it's easy and quick to switch if I want to look at something closer.
It opens up a ton of terrain as suitable shooting positions also.
It makes a great pillow too.
View attachment 579379View attachment 579380
The steering wheel one is downright creative. I'm impressed. Do you use a pint sized or schmedium gamechanger?

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
The Bog-Pod death grips have been great for my kids and I. They’re heavy to pack around, but worth it in my opinion.
I pack the old style Bog Pod with the trigger style pan head and bino saddle for glassing. It's not exactly rock solid or silent but incredibly versatile. I can shoot off the bino saddle and strap a small spotter to the saddle instead of detaching it at the base plate. That makes for quick change from binos to spotter. I even installed a 1/4 20 insert in my rifle stock so I can attach a base plate and hook my rifle to the trigger style pan head. Works like a death grip but without the weight and allows me to keep my pan head attached. Sometimes I take the legs apart to use as trekking poles, but I usually just rubber band them all together and use the whole thing as a walking stick. Some day I'll upgrade and be glad I did, but the Bog has served me pretty well for a few years.

Hunting with a sturdy tripod that clamps to my rifle has been a game changer for my wife and I. Being able to get the rifle a few feet off the ground to see over brush and sage is really nice.

tcb247

FNG
After doing maybe 2 days of research I bought the

INNOREL GT284C tripod (29mm version) $159​

and

SmallRig Selection Tripod Fluid Head Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate for Arca Swiss for Compact Video Cameras and DSLR Cameras -3259B $49​

if you want super beefy tripod for just shooting then check out

INNOREL GT324C (32mm version)​