Tripod Options Similar to Slik 624

twall13

WKR
So for the last 5 years or so I've been using a Promaster XC525 tripod for all of my glassing. It's a great all around tripod and has served me well. It's getting pretty beat up at this point and I'm looking to put it to use as a backup/loaner tripod going forward. I've found that I tend to do most of my glassing while seated, so for my next backcountry tripod I want something more compact than the Promaster. Lighter and more compact are better when it comes to backcountry use and my optics are relatively lightweight. Maven B.2's get most of the time on the tripod with the Kowa 553 getting use when I need a closer look. I really like the looks of the Slik CF 624 that S&S sells, but comparing the weight it's only 2 Oz. lighter than the Promaster. After playing around with an Aoka tripod last fall, I was hoping for something a bit lighter than the Slik. The build quality on the Aoka is actually fantastic, but it needs to add about 1-2" per leg section and have a 6" usable center column and that would be ideal for my use. It's so small and packs so well I bring that thing all the time, but the glassing experience is a bit lacking due to it's shortness and my 6'1" height. In all honestly, I'll likely go with the Slik, but want to make sure I'm not missing a better option.

What I'm looking for in a nutshell:

-Carbon fiber tripod
-I want twist lock legs
-Solid build quality (read no plastic parts)
-Max extended height somewhere around 40"
-Max folded height of about 14"
-4 leg sections max
-Adjustable center column, I don't need much here but it's nice for quick adjustments without messing with the legs
-As light as I can go (Slik is 30 Oz.)

I feel confident the build quality on the Slik will meet my expectations and I don't want a flimsy tripod. Are there any other options out there I should be considering? Something from Sirui that's comparable? Others in that price range?

I'll see if I can post a photo of my Aoka and Promaster side by side later tonight as I'm really looking for something right in the middle of these two.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Im gonna try a slik 635 and take the bottom leg section off for an UL sitting setup that will pack small.
I run my 634 with same mod and shortened centre column comes in at 30oz with aoaka ball head. Pretty happy with that actually.

Last edited:
I really like my slik 634. I seldom glass standing but easily could if needed.
That alone made me go with the 634 over the 624.
I've owned just about every tripod including outdoorsmans.
I run a slik 634 and have a slik 824 for my lowa 884.
I am completely satisfied with both and have no intentions to look any further.

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
Im gonna try a slik 635 and take the bottom leg section off for an UL sitting setup that will pack small.
I run my 634 with same mod and shortened centre column comes in at 30oz with aoaka ball head. Pretty happy with that actually.
Is it pretty simple to remove the lower leg section? That could open up a lot more options. I assume at that point the rubber endcaps no longer fit but I might be ok with that. 30 Oz. including the head is pretty light!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
I really like my slik 634. I seldom glass standing but easily could if needed.
That alone made me go with the 634 over the 624.
I've owned just about every tripod including outdoorsmans.
I run a slik 634 and have a slik 824 for my lowa 884.
I am completely satisfied with both and have no intentions to look any further.
I can see your point about being able to use it standing if I could only have 1 tripod. In my case, if I anticipate needing to glass standing I'll pull out my old Promaster for that trip. For this tripod I want to be as light and compact as possible.

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
Here is my Promaster next to my Aoka for comparison. I'm looking for something in between.
a2cc49fd1cd8e71073443aeaf2337d30.jpg
d994aac6ab283e7f937978f157508802.jpg

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Is it pretty simple to remove the lower leg section? That could open up a lot more options. I assume at that point the rubber endcaps no longer fit but I might be ok with that. 30 Oz. including the head is pretty light!

Yep just unscrew lower section and cover the screw threads with some plastic ends from a hardwear store (you can usually get an ideal fitting chair end)

Attachments

• 20210604_130524.jpg
    20210604_130524.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 64

Harvey_NW

WKR
One brand I've found that's overlooked because they don't target the hunting market is Benro. I went through the research process and landed on the Carbon Slim over the Slik or Sirui simply because it was almost the exact same for half the price. I absolutely hate ball heads so I called and they easily replaced the ball head for the simple but stout S2 video head and it came out to I think $190 shipped, couldn't beat it with a stick. On the CF setups the twist locks, leg hinges, and most other parts are machined aluminum. They have multiple options that might be more tailored to your preferred specs, but I would suggest browsing their site. I'm not an experienced tripod guy, but I love mine.

*edit* You can get the carbon slim kit on amazon too so you can easily send it back if ya don't like it 😆

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
One brand I've found that's overlooked because they don't target the hunting market is Benro. I went through the research process and landed on the Carbon Slim over the Slik or Sirui simply because it was almost the exact same for half the price. I absolutely hate ball heads so I called and they easily replaced the ball head for the simple but stout S2 video head and it came out to I think $190 shipped, couldn't beat it with a stick. On the CF setups the twist locks, leg hinges, and most other parts are machined aluminum. They have multiple options that might be more tailored to your preferred specs, but I would suggest browsing their site. I'm not an experienced tripod guy, but I love mine.

*edit* You can get the carbon slim kit on amazon too so you can easily send it back if ya don't like it 😆

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out some Benro legs and see if anything might work as I haven't really looked into those in the past.

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
I didn't see anything that really fits the bill in Benros line of tripods. Anything else I should look at before I go ahead and order the Slik?

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Im going to try this for a packable sit down setup. 29oz all up. Solid and versatile with centre-post. 25oz for the tripod.

Attachments

• 20210609_113624.jpg
    20210609_113624.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
Does the new Vortex Summit Carbon 2 fit what you are needing? I am looking to get the setup myself. I don’t plan to stand. I have another larger tripod for standing and rifle comps. I think it’s the one from Hog Saddle and it’s the same as a Slick.

I think the Summit Carbon is could be good for sitting and glassing.

Vandy321

WKR
Since you don't need the height, you could remove 2 of the lower leg sections off the promaster. Threads on here for how to find end caps to fit, I removed 2 and cut the thread off the bottom of the remaining leg, dropped over 1/2lb if I recall.

ChrisAU

WKR
Here’s some pics of the Aoka with the Sunway extension. 16.75 oz. One pic is next to my Slik 633. Davros Head holding rifle.

B4C14B1F-B863-4326-B0CA-2937D6556027.jpeg58C00073-3897-4EB6-A915-3F913B60A006.jpeg09E21B7C-D71E-4996-84F5-096972714884.jpeg2BE90FC2-B9D6-4707-AE52-9FDA774F26C4.jpeg

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
Does the new Vortex Summit Carbon 2 fit what you are needing? I am looking to get the setup myself. I don’t plan to stand. I have another larger tripod for standing and rifle comps. I think it’s the one from Hog Saddle and it’s the same as a Slick.

I think the Summit Carbon is could be good for sitting and glassing.

I'll check it out. I kind of gave up on Vortex altogether after needing warranty work on both products I purchased from them but I'll admit I haven't looked at their tripods.

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
Im going to try this for a packable sit down setup. 29oz all up. Solid and versatile with centre-post. 25oz for the tripod.
What ballhead do you have on that?

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
Here’s some pics of the Aoka with the Sunway extension. 16.75 oz. One pic is next to my Slik 633. Davros Head holding rifle.

View attachment 297637View attachment 297638View attachment 297639View attachment 297640
That is an interesting setup for sure. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with the stability with the center post on that particular tripod but you've made me think about it a bit, especially with the rifle sitting on top. I'll have to play around with widening the legs and see how I feel a out it with the center post that came with the Aoka to see if I think an upgrade might make it usable for me. Thanks for the idea.