Trucks/SUVs from the last 10 years with Manual Transmissions?

I’m pondering the idea of getting a newer more reliable vehicle. My main requirement would be a MT, secondly large enough for a 5’10 man to sleep in.

What newer rides come with a manual besides a tacoma or jeep?

You might be able to find a Silverado W/T with a stickshift... I've had about 4 of them over the past 15 years and one was a stick with a long box. I think that was an '04 if I remember.

• Banned
OP
Dustin the wind
You might be able to find a Silverado W/T with a stickshift... I've had about 4 of them over the past 15 years and one was a stick with a long box. I think that was an '04 if I remember.

I had a 95 1500 z71 in high school that was a manual. I loved it but was dumb and sold it. Good suggestion.

I was in your shoes and finally gave up on the standard transmission. Life is good, I don't miss it at all. In fact in my work truck (1ton drw that is routinely heavy hauling) I prefer the auto to any of the standard transmissions I had.

Get what you want, but these newer autos are way better than they used to be.

• Banned
OP
Dustin the wind
I was in your shoes and finally gave up on the standard transmission. Life is good, I don't miss it at all. In fact in my work truck (1ton drw that is routinely heavy hauling) I prefer the auto to any of the standard transmissions I had.

Get what you want, but these newer autos are way better than they used to be.

It might turn out that way. I think it’s mostly nostalgia for me, shifting makes me feel good. My wifes 8spd auto bimmer is pretty amazing though.

Nissan Frontier is an option. Not as reliable as a Tacoma but if you got one with low enough mileage you would probably be happy with it and they’re much cheaper than the Tacoma if you buy it used. The main thing I would say with any Nissan is to do your homework with regards to known problems, as there will often be some preventative maintenance you can do that will save you some major $$$ down the road

Extrapale

WKR
Toyota still has them new. Ram did until recently.

I have my first auto in 30 years and I dearly miss the manual. I almost sold it 6 months ago to buy a manual Ram 2500.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I have an 06 (Pre def) ram Cummins with a g56. Best truck I will ever own. Period.

Still have an 01 24 valve NV transmission, decent truck beat to hell and won't be getting rid of it.

Had an '05 with g56, edge box. Then an '11 g56 and had EFI live with full deletes. Both trucks had dumped a pile of money into aftermarket clutch just to be able to use them. That dual mass flywheel ordeal is terrible, I might have a different opinion if they had NV transmissions, but now I'm using a '17 with the aisin trans and bone stock I haven't had a truck that would touch what this one does. And as much as I had to have a manual before, I'm really getting adjusted to just pushing on a skinny pedal.

Buddy bought that '05 off of me. I think that truck is on clutch #5, my '01 is still on the factory clutch but I think it's finally on its way out. Both have similar miles on them.

Last edited:
Still have an 01 24 valve NV transmission, decent truck beat to hell and won't be getting rid of it.

Had an '05 with g56, edge box. Then an '11 g56 and had EFI live with full deletes. Both trucks had dumped a pile of money into aftermarket clutch just to be able to use them. That dual mass flywheel ordeal is terrible, I might have a different opinion if they had NV transmissions, but now I'm using a '17 with the aisin trans and bone stock I haven't had a truck that would touch what this one does. And as much as I had to have a manual before, I'm really getting adjusted to just pushing on a skinny pedal.

Buddy bought that '05 off of me. I think that truck is on clutch #5, my '01 is still on the factory clutch but I think it's finally on its way out. Both have similar miles on them.
Interesting. Mine has 113k on the odo. Original clutch. I pull a 14k deck over bumper-pull trailer with farm/construction equipment and have never had an issue. Hopefully I never do.
the only issue I’ve ever had was the crap GM ac pump. But I replaced it in the field during an antelope Hunt in 2 hours. Recharged the ac when I got back home.

Interesting. Mine has 113k on the odo. Original clutch. I pull a 14k deck over bumper-pull trailer with farm/construction equipment and have never had an issue. Hopefully I never do.
the only issue I’ve ever had was the crap GM ac pump. But I replaced it in the field during an antelope Hunt in 2 hours. Recharged the ac when I got back home.

Leave it alone then. Are you positive it's a g56? I think some of the '05 had a New Venture 6 speed. Where is your reverse at?

Leave it alone then. Are you positive it's a g56? I think some of the '05 had a New Venture 6 speed. Where is your reverse at?
Left and down. It has an aluminum housing too. You definitely reminded me that I’ve heard about this issue before. I’ll monitor that thing more closely just to stay on top of it. I appreciate it.

Left and down. It has an aluminum housing too. You definitely reminded me that I’ve heard about this issue before. I’ll monitor that thing more closely just to stay on top of it. I appreciate it.

Yeah, that's g56. If you leave the truck stock you might be alright, but they don't hold up very well in my experience. Nothing wrong with the transmission itself, just the clutch and flywheel.

Four of our five vehicles are manual's, and I don't plan on changing that anytime soon. I have much better control of the vehicle with a manual than an auto. Those dang auto's are always trying to think on their own.

Those autos you have a lot more control over anymore, although I thought I would use the gear selection more. If I put it in tow mode it does everything I would do, exhaust brake helps a lot as well.

This is of course the stuff that has come out in the last few years, earlier stuff was pretty bad.