TSA approved gun case questions.

def90

WKR
You can fly with any case you want as long as it is able to be locked. You have to use your own locks, you can't use TSA locks.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
You can fly with any case you want as long as it is able to be locked. You have to use your own locks, you can't use TSA locks.

This, for pistols I'll use cheaper cases locked inside my checked bag, rifles it's pelican skb and the like. Very hard durable cases

Mosby

WKR
Get the best case you can afford. I've had cases with tire tracks, smashed in corners and a large hole that someone cut into the case. Not everyone that works at airports likes guns or hunters.

JEEF

FNG
Just flew across the country with guns for the first time and bought a pelican. Pricey but well worth the protection it offers after seeing the abuse they will put your luggage through.

Wapiti1

WKR
SKB, Boyt, Pelican, TuffPak, and the higher end Plano for plastic cases. SKB, Boyt and Pelican are pretty equal, IMO, and I've owned and flown with all of them.

Kalispel for aluminum. My take down rifles and shotguns ride in one of these.

As noted, no TSA locks. Buy and keep an extra set of locks in the gun case. I put them under the foam. The TSA may cut off your locks. I've had that happen a couple of times. No explanation why.

Jeremy

FLATHEAD

WKR
I have an aluminum case with wheels for rifles.
It's really too heavy and I will be replacing it with a Pelican when the time comes.
I have a small Pelican for handguns that I love.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I went to harbor freight and bought the Apache gun case. Has wheels and a top handle. Four padlock spots. Seems tough and rugged like a pelican

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
SKB ATA single scoped rifle case fits my scoped tikka and 4 boxes ammo. I use Titanium locks to save weight. Also in the case are tsa locks and a printout of tsa and airline regulations just in case. I put both a trigger lock and cable lock on the rifle. No hassles so far.

BLJ

WKR
@Robster. How does the Apache hold up in the weather? Does the seal do good at keeping out moisture (light rain or snow)?

Wapiti1

WKR
I have an aluminum case with wheels for rifles.
It's really too heavy and I will be replacing it with a Pelican when the time comes.
I have a small Pelican for handguns that I love.
Don't count on it being any lighter depending on the brand you have. A Kalispel double rifle case weighs less than a Pelican 1750 and the same as the Vault V800. The single Kalispel weighs 3 pounds more than a single Vault Pelican V770.

Plastic is heavy.

Jeremy

I have the big double Vault. I chose it over the traditional Pelican because it was bigger dimensions while at the same time lighter. For AK trips, where space and bags and weight are at a premium we pull a couple of the foam sheets out and take up that space with clothing and other gear. Quite a lot of extra stuff actually. We can pack 2 mountain rifles, a glock, a Taurus tracker, ammo for all, trekking poles, base layers and shells all in it and be right at 50#.