Tuning Help, Rest wear

GregB

WKR
The outside half of my rest keeps wearing down right above the throat of the grip. I have had it set up with the rest on the shelf as well as with a piece of leather above the throat to elevate it. I've adjusted my nocking point up and down, bareshafts are flying straight. I have replaced the rest 2 or 3 times now. I have been doing some bareshafting with different arrows and thought when they were shooting weak this might be the issue, but I don't think this happened often enough to cause the issue. There is no wear issues on my strike plate. I'm at a loss for what is causing this.

Video your bow hand at the shot. Are you grabbing the bow at release?

Sounds like some sort of torque issue, or potentially arrows dramatically out of spine. Could also be a plucky release, throwing the string towards your face and moving the back end of the arrow away from the riser.

Another possibility is that you’re peaking, moving the bow out of the way too soon to watch the arrow fly. Diagnosis for that would be a pronounced tendency to miss low and right.

Beendare

WKR
TTD's right.......Gripping or twisting could be a cause.

I get a little bit of wear on my bottom pad no matter what....of course its always less with a tuned bow. I get less wear with a pronounced bump above my hand.

If your bow is tuned as you say....maybe try rotating your fletchings?

Glynn

FNG
"If your bow is tuned as you say....maybe try rotating your fletchings? "

I think it could be this simple. When I shot shorter wood recurves, 60 inchers, I almost always got the wear you describe. Usually had velcro over a small bump of something for shelf material.

Went to elevated rests years ago to accommodate vanes so it went away.

Usually, that’s a sign of your nock point being too low.

If you’ve raised it, and that didn’t help, the piece of leather you put under your rest for a fulcrum is likely in the wrong spot, and the arrow doesn’t balance well there. I’ve had this exact issue on one of my bows, where I was totally shredding the rest every couple months. Raising my nock point fixed it.

Nowadays though, I swear by these:https://www.3riversarchery.com/wild-turkey-feather-arrow-rest.html

That rest is soooo forgiving on form and nock point. I’ll never go back.