Turkey Blinds

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I use my bow. Only way to go. The tidwe are a great deal for the price. Currently have 4 sitting in my spots. As mentioned, great for kids too.

Broomd

WKR
I make my own 'blind' every season....from today:

Attachments

• VnIz5YeATiuyzi4eUyDUSA.jpg
    VnIz5YeATiuyzi4eUyDUSA.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 51

Taudisio

WKR
I have only used a blind once while turkey hunting. It was pretty neat being 3 yards from a tom. I like to run and gun/bow, and love the challenge of bow hunting “the best eyes in the woods” with only natural blinds. Never found a turkey without a tree to draw my bow from behind, including today’s bird. I could see the benefit of using a blind with youth hunters. Photo posted is the bird that was shot with a 12 gauge at 3 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpeg
    IMG_0469.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 22

CMF

WKR
I have only used a blind once while turkey hunting. It was pretty neat being 3 yards from a tom. I like to run and gun/bow, and love the challenge of bow hunting “the best eyes in the woods” with only natural blinds. Never found a turkey without a tree to draw my bow from behind, including today’s bird. I could see the benefit of using a blind with youth hunters. Photo posted is the bird that was shot with a 12 gauge at 3 yards.
Are you staying standing while drawing or turkey chair or what?

CMF

WKR
I hate them too, but I've been considering getting mine out to fill this KS tag with my bow.

Wheels

WKR
I love them for archery hunting. Only thing I don't like is the blind spot behind me, but I have mine set up where the birds shouldn't be coming from behind me. Nothing better than a nice comfortable chair and a buddy heater if it's a cold morning waiting on birds.

Taudisio

WKR
Are you staying standing while drawing or turkey chair or what?
From my knees while sitting on my feet. I usually draw low sitting on my feet, and rise up to shoot. When I’m archery hunting, I always put out decoys to let them get distracted with. The decoys give me an area to focus my body angle on. Yesterday’s bird, I drew the bow very low at an awkward angle, the challenge is what makes it fun.

sveltri

WKR
I will do everything I can to never hunt from one again. Most of my experience has been lugging one around the mountains during turkey season.

mcase308

FNG
I think they are good for little kids or newer folks, but agree, I don't like em either.

mjh

FNG
For turkey hunting with a bow I use a blind.

I only occasionally use a blind for deer, mostly on one property with a lot of open space. Keep set up all season.

I find it’s a mixed bag—less connection to the elements—yet protection from the elements. Loss is daylight at the end of the day.

But hides movement.

I’ll be using my blind later this week and into the turkey season—one Tom limit here—we’ll see how it works out

CMF

WKR
From my knees while sitting on my feet. I usually draw low sitting on my feet, and rise up to shoot. When I’m archery hunting, I always put out decoys to let them get distracted with. The decoys give me an area to focus my body angle on. Yesterday’s bird, I drew the bow very low at an awkward angle, the challenge is what makes it fun.
What's your ratio of successfully drawing vs getting busted?

deer310sg

Lil-Rokslider
Bow only for me and for sure use them. DB Matrix, Darkhorse. My Matrix is nearing it's end. Not sure what to replace it with?

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
Bow only for me and for sure use them. DB Matrix, Darkhorse. My Matrix is nearing it's end. Not sure what to replace it with?
I stick with Tidwe. Got into Primos SurroundViews early on, love them. But for about 1/4 the cost, Tidwe is great. Not nearly as durable, but hey, I'd rather have 3 extra blinds out and not be devastated if mother nature destroys one.

Taudisio

WKR
What's your ratio of successfully drawing vs getting busted?
I have been busted maybe 3 times, missed 4 birds (killed 2 of them with follow up shots), killed 15+ with my bow. Watching the birds body language and head placement plays a huge part. My two favorite scenarios to get drawn are, just before the bird breaks my concealment area, and when they are full strut and I’m looking at their “Texas heart”. I am a huge fan of rage hypodermics for turkeys. Last year I tried swhackers. Worked well, I did lose one that I hit low-I’m not blaming the broadhead.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpeg
    IMG_0758.jpeg
    719.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0239.jpeg
    IMG_0239.jpeg
    695 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    723.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 64037209666__47AA7282-4840-4CDF-BE5D-0A8F201F1DCE.jpeg
    64037209666__47AA7282-4840-4CDF-BE5D-0A8F201F1DCE.jpeg
    785.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1417.jpeg
    IMG_1417.jpeg
    660.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: CMF

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard of them but never looked into. Are they bowhunter friendly?
Yes. They have my preferred type of windows for bow hunting where you can have one large line and make it bigger or smaller as you please. Verse the type with 3 windows, a triangle and two vertices. Usually can get them close to 100 per blind. The double is awesome, huge, great for kids, and you get two single blinds or a huge double.

CMF

WKR
I have been busted maybe 3 times, missed 4 birds (killed 2 of them with follow up shots), killed 15+ with my bow. Watching the birds body language and head placement plays a huge part. My two favorite scenarios to get drawn are, just before the bird breaks my concealment area, and when they are full strut and I’m looking at their “Texas heart”. I am a huge fan of rage hypodermics for turkeys. Last year I tried swhackers. Worked well, I did lose one that I hit low-I’m not blaming the broadhead.
Nice! i haven't chased them much with my bow, but the past couple weeks here in KS I've missed two.

Taudisio

WKR
Nice! i haven't chased them much with my bow, but the past couple weeks here in KS I've missed two.
Yea it happens! I’ve shot them all under 40 yards. One of my misses was trying to stick one that hung up out past 45. I miss ranged him and shot over his back. I killed the same bird a few days later. Two jakes hooked up with him in his roost and they brought him straight in to the decoys. Definitely the largest one I’ve shot with my bow. Good hooks, double beard. He was the most difficult and fun birds I’ve ever had the pleasure of chasing. I threw every trick I know at him, in the end, two jakes made him slip up. I measured him and he would have made number 5 for Oregon archery record if he was “officially scored”

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: CMF