Turkey leg recipe?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think we can all agree that the best thing to do with the turkey breast is to grind it for burgers.

But what about the legs? Does anybody have a go to pressure cooker/slow cooker recipe?

CMF

WKR
Last week my wife took the legs and thighs from the kid's birds and pressure cooked them, added some taco or similar seasoning, and put the meat over nachos with typical extras like cheese, avacoda, purple onions, green onions, salsa, sour cream, etc. It was awesome!
We've also removed them from the pressure cooker and browned the meat in a skillet for taco/quesadilla. It gives a little crisp and extra flavor to the meat.
I think we can all agree that the best thing to do with the turkey breast is to grind it for burgers.
Joking right? You must have never had fried turkey with white gravy...

Oregon

WKR
Pressure cook in chicken broth for 48 minutes on high.
Remove, coat in favorite wing sauce or favorite sauce. I really dig Hoisin sauce(mu shu) or buffalo. Air fry at 375f for 7 minutes.
Big old sloppy drumsticks.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Last week my wife took the legs and thighs from the kid's birds and pressure cooked them, added some taco or similar seasoning, and put the meat over nachos with typical extras like cheese, avacoda, purple onions, green onions, salsa, sour cream, etc. It was awesome!
We've also removed them from the pressure cooker and browned the meat in a skillet for taco/quesadilla. It gives a little crisp and extra flavor to the meat.

Joking right? You must have never had fried turkey with white gravy...
Fried turkey? Amateur hour…

I like the Mexican theme! I may try it.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Pressure cook in chicken broth for 48 minutes on high.
Remove, coat in favorite wing sauce or favorite sauce. I really dig Hoisin sauce(mu shu) or buffalo. Air fry at 375f for 7 minutes.
Big old sloppy drumsticks.
Ohhhh I love wings….

Oregon

WKR
Ohhhh I love wings….
I shoot a lot of geese. I do the exact same with thighs and legs. Super easy. Skin, cut off at ball joint. Snip off web foot. You do 3 geese (6 legs) that's a meal. Only difference is I use beef broth in Instapot. So many people are missing out not utilizing that grub.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Crockpot the legs and thighs overnight and favorite thing is make a bunch of Turkey pot pies and you just made a ton of great Turkey stock to use as added bonus. I’ll make 4-6 depending on the size and freeze for enjoyment later.

I’ve also made this recipe out of the legs. https://www.huntingandcooking.com/a-12-gauge-girl-blog/wild-turkey-birria-tacos

For the breast hard to beat Turkey cutlets. Turkey fajitas are also great. Trick is to slice thin and pound them out. Also smoked Turkey breast makes some killer sandwich meat.

Truth is you can make some amazing food with wild Turkey, it doesn’t get enough love

MtnMuley

WKR
In this household, we prefer wild turkey breasts and tenders over chicken breasts and tenders. From classic fried strips and tenders to Traeger marinated, rubbed, and smoked breasts that are thin sliced after. Anyhow, we trim up all the thigh, drum, and wing meat and mix with 50% pork butt for making several kinds of breakfast and sweet and spicy Italian sausage. It's so good, we don't even make any kinds of sausage other than summer/German out of deer/elk/moose these days. With the better half having a no limit 365 day a year season on them, we usually end up with around 80# of sausage and a freezer full of breasts and tenders each year.

Fordguy

WKR

But what about the legs? Does anybody have a go to pressure cooker/slow cooker recipe?
To each their own I suppose, but I'll never grind a turkey breast. Take the breast, slice it into 2 inch chunks, pound it flat, season and batter with egg and panko crumbs and fry. Put it on a bun with a squeeze of lemon juice and seasoned mayo, maybe a slice of tomato.

As for the legs, cook in foil until almost tender and then smoke for a few hours. Take care not to dry them out (use foil and indirect exposure to smoke). If they do dry out wrap them in foil and cook them in chicken stock for a bit before eating. Dress them up with a little smoked salt if the rehydration process has washed out the smoke flavor.

Skinned legs - go in pressure cooker then season to your liking. Bar-bq sandwich’s or tacos is what I usually do because it’s easy.

Turkeys prefer to be fried in hot oil and not ground up. Thats sounds like a waste to me. We had fried heart and gizzards tonight. The good stuff is still soaking.

NorCal 707

FNG
Classified Approved
I pound and do all my turkey breast schnitzel style. Great with mashed potatoes and gravy or on a fresh sliced sourdough turkey club style. The legs and thighs I always pressure cook with some bone broth. Shredded and cut to one inch long pieces we use it for tacos, nachos or enchiladas. I've never ground wild turkey. Might give it a try. Thanks!

mjh

FNG

No we cannot all agree to grind turkey breast for burgers!

Where's your sense of culinary adventure? Ever look up a recipe online?

Cook bacon and spinach together. Take turkey breast, slit open with knife, stuff with bacon spinach mix, tie with string, bake in oven, use liberal amounts of butter, baste a little bit. Better than a restaurant. Burgers NO WAY!

Debone the thighs take with legs into the crock pot. 1/2 pint of Jack Daniels, garlic, onion, bar b que sauce, other spices or heat as desired, add water to cover. Slow cook. When done pull apart meat with forks. Pull out leg bones and bits. Get some slider buns, fill up and eat--best shared with friends.

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
My beagles love legs, thighs, heart, liver, head.
They aint picky eaters

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
To each their own I suppose, but I'll never grind a turkey breast. Take the breast, slice it into 2 inch chunks, pound it flat, season and batter with egg and panko crumbs and fry. Put it on a bun with a squeeze of lemon juice and seasoned mayo, maybe a slice of tomato.

As for the legs, cook in foil until almost tender and then smoke for a few hours. Take care not to dry them out (use foil and indirect exposure to smoke). If they do dry out wrap them in foil and cook them in chicken stock for a bit before eating. Dress them up with a little smoked salt if the rehydration process has washed out the smoke flavor.
You get a gold star for the day. Thanks for the recommendation! Mock chick fil A sandwich

Attachments

• IMG_1850.jpeg
    IMG_1850.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 30
You get a gold star for the day. Thanks for the recommendation! Mock chick fil A sandwich

Man, I have often seen someone try to recreate a restaurant dish, but chick fil a?

I mean, at least get away from the tots. Get yourself some Waffle fries in the air fryer.

Thinking about it, I have a few times done a Waffle house steak and eggs for breakfast with elk steaks. Hashbrowns smothered, covered, and chunked.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Man, I have often seen someone try to recreate a restaurant dish, but chick fil a?

I mean, at least get away from the tots. Get yourself some Waffle fries in the air fryer.

Thinking about it, I have a few times done a Waffle house steak and eggs for breakfast with elk steaks. Hashbrowns smothered, covered, and chunked.
Kids love tots. I love tots. Leave my tots alone!

The rest of the birds get grinded. 😜