Two blade vs three blade broadheads

I am sure this is a hot topic, but just throwing this out there. I have several trad bows seems like my recurve likes cedar arrows and a two blade Zwickey better, my long bows like carbon and either Magnus Stingers or VPA two blade broadheads. I shot an elk this year with my recurve at 20 yards. My set up was a 55 pound recurve. Arrows were 11/32 Port Orford Cedar 30" long, tipped with 125 grain Zwickeys hand sharpened. Arrow weight was 605 i believe. Any way I did harvest the elk but honestly the blood trail wasn't that great considering I had a quartering away shot at 20 yards and hit him right behind the shoulder. The arrow went in 3/4 shaft. This has got me thinking about whether to switch broadheads or not. I am looking at possibly either the Woodsman three blades or maybe a Simmons two blade. On another forum there was a similar thread and seems like most guys preferred a three blade and thought they produced a better blood trail. Wondering what a lot of you experienced trad guys shoot upfront and what your experiences are good or bad with different braodheads?

tater

WKR
I'll ask this: With your set up as is with a three blade broadhead instead of the Zwickey, do you feel would you have gotten enough penetration on the elk you mentioned above with the same shot?

Two blades through two lungs trumps three blades through one lung.

I shoot three blade VPA's for bear and deer, and two blade Grizzly's for elk and moose. I could probably get away with the three blade VPA's on everything, but i like the comfort of a little extra penetration should i need it.

I look at guys like E. Don Thomas, and Bart Schleyer (R.I.P) who use(d) heavier gear but shot two blade Magnus. They have forgotten more than i will ever know.

OP
G
I am a newbie to the traditional end of gear. Guys on another site are saying a three blade will penetrate better than a two_One guy posted a video showing shots with a two blade then a three blade through a target tamped with sand. Dosen't really make since to me but hey i am new to this. I was really hoping some of the guys that have been doing this for awhile would chime in.

tater

WKR
A nice compromise for a mid weight set up like yours is a two blade with bleeders in it, like the old Bear razorheads or the Muzzy Phantoms. Fred Eichler has shown it works, and Papa Bear did it before him.

Tamped sand is not a rib or a chest cavity. It also won't move at moment of impact like an animal will.

I know this dead horse has been pounded, but check out Ashby's reports on arrow lethality. I wouldn't necessarily jump on the EFOC/single bevel bandwagon, but there is some good information there.

Jesse Minish

Lil-Rokslider
We all want things to go perfect but sometimes things don't work perfect while hunting. I have heard stories about perfect shots with high powered rifles and this or that happed and the caliber is no longer good for elk even though its killed thousands of them. I would not look to deep into tests guys do on wood, sand or other things with broadheads other then flesh. Two blades, three or four all work but the most important thing is they are sharp and are tuned. I shoot two blade heads and I really need to start taking pics of my blood trails. I would shoot what you can get to shoot good out of your bow and scary sharp, have confidence in it and it will work.

This can sure be a "hot topic". Honestly I was hesitant to respond, but I'll try my best to provide some insight.

It looks like you're concerned with penetration and blood trails. Here are some considerations based on my personal observation.

In terms of penetration: sharpness of blades, ratio of broadhead, where the animal was hit (even if shot in the lungs, low or high in the cavity) two holes or one, FOC, tuning, cut to tip, type if tip, vents or no vents , strength of broadhead, arrow shaft diameter, machined or welded

In terms of blood trails: sharpness of blades, cutting diameter, number of blades, where the animal was hit (even if shot in the lungs, low or high in the cavity), two holes or one, how fast the animal took off after the shot.

Different types of two blade broadheads: vented, non-vented, different ratios, type of coating, some have bleeders, single bevel, double bevel, concave and convex, cut to tip, welded or machined. Also keep in mind, not all bleeders are created equal. After a certain size, I start to refer to them as four blades instead of two blades with a bleeder.

Different types of multi blades: vented, non-vented, different ratios, type of coating, welded or machined, some have bleeders, cut to tip, replaceable blades, varied tip designs.

My friend and I have shot our fair share of animals here in Hawaii and a few elsewhere (the biggest animals he shot were water buff in AUS). We shoot very similar set ups, but I prefer a multi-balde and he prefers a two blade.

We both agree that given all things "equal", a "standard" non-vented two blade will out penetrate a multi-blade if shooting at an animal. Same bow weight, same arrow weight. Both tuned. For example, if we were both going after water buffalo, we both would have two blades in our quivers. The two times I was dead set on using a two blade was when planning for a trip to AUS and when I built my own Guava selfbow (low performance bow) and shot wood arrows.

For me personally, I've had a better experience with multi-blades. If my set-up (bow weight/arrow weight for that specific animal) will allow for "two holes", I'll take a multi-blade every time.

Think of a broadhead as a tool. One advantage is you have so many choices these days. In the end, I'm just trying to pick the right tool for the job.

Hope this makes sense, if not please feel free to ask questions as I've shot a bunch of different broadheads over the years.

Last edited:

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Dr. Ed Asby's studies I think you can find them on YouTube. It is a real eye opener.

The 150 gr Woodsman Elite blew thru a 1700 bison for me. Awesome heads however for elk the exodus is a lighter option with scary sharp blades.

I was in the same boat as you are. I Googled 2 vs 3 blade bloodtrails. What I read led me to 150 grain VPAs. I'm using them out of my compound this year and plan on the same head with recurve.

I use four 4" vanes, so I try to use either two or four blade broadheads. Since I have a hell of a time finding two blade broadheads locally, I just stick with the four blade broadheads.

Beendare

WKR
My take from over 30 yrs of bowhunting

No doubt 2 blade out penetrates everything

A strong BH makes a difference...i've seen zwickeys roll over and welds separate...and I've seen replaceable blade heads break

3 blades will leave a little better bloodtrails usually...but the #1 factor in blood on the ground is hitting the animal lower 1/3rd.

COC is better than chisel point

The woodsman is a little too tapered and the tip is unsupported

The newer short replaceable heads are not tapered enough and can compress hair, hide on contact dulling the blades

For me and my experiences the best broadhead is the one you are confident with. If you want to get tech, as Ryan said you have many different styles concave, convex or the 25* edge. My personal favorite broadheads are German Kinetics the German made ones. I have to put them on my arrow with a kevlar glove. They are the sharpest broadhead you will ever see. I also love simmons sharks.