Uinta North Slope deer & elk question

F16pointy

FNG
Looking for a little help, not spots. Moved to Utah from Alaska last year and this is my first year hunting the state. I have an archery buck and elk tag. I have spent some time up on the North Slope looking for places to hike in from the road. From what I have seen I can either jump on the trails used heavily by the bunny huggers. Or hunt closer to the road and bushwhack it. That being said, I have seen and heard people say "hunt the quakies". I guess my question to the experienced is what type of vegetation are holding elk early in the season? I have found spots with aspen and areas with mostly pine. I will be up there first week of Sep. I appreciate any help anyone is willing to provide. Just need a little help on deciding which of the places I found to start from. Thanks!

Sled

WKR
Lots of info online and on rokslide currently. In short, the elk will use timber north slopes for safety and shade during the heat of the day and aspens for water and the feed growing under it.

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
Lots of info online and on rokslide currently. In short, the elk will use timber north slopes for safety and shade during the heat of the day and aspens for water and the feed growing under it.
Appreciate the response. I have spent many hours searching on this subject on here and the web. Maybe I'm not using the right search question? But there seems to be a lot more about how far to go out or what general area to go to. A lot of general season stuff. I have areas I plan to go to and have found areas where there is no visible aspen in the area and another where there is aspen all over the place. I know where I would start to look for moose, and I actually found moose sign while up there. But the areas I scouted had more moo cow sign than anything else. Thanks again!

Sled

WKR
Elk will use areas cows use when better alternatives aren't available. Water might still be a good option to look for this year. The recent heavy rains haven't replenished dry springs where I'm at in the north. That said, finding fresh sign away from sheep and cows is what I'd be looking for. Just don't overlook that they may overlap some of the cattle range when resources are low.

KineKilla

WKR
I've seen cow elk feeding side by side with moo cows. Answered a long standing question for me.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
Also, aspen isn't a must have for elk but it provides half of their needs. On the north slope of the uintas they may travel several miles a day to get what they need. During hunting season dark timber becomes a priority during daytime. Look for vegetation corridors that link up food, water and safety. If you find fresh scat along those trails you might be able to pattern some animals.

Sled

WKR
Here's an example of elk using Aspen in the evening. Guess what the vegetation looks like on the back side of this hill.

Also, elk are at most elevations in small herds out there. Thick understory at 7k and open slopes at 10k+. Hunt where you like. Elk are around but low density.

Attachments

• PXL_20210805_001145318.jpg
    PXL_20210805_001145318.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 115
OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
I've seen cow elk feeding side by side with moo cows. Answered a long standing question for me.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
I have found mixed information about that. Some say its no big deal and others say on FS land that elk and deer avoid them. I found deer tracks along with cow tracks up there. But no elk tracks at all.

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
Here's an example of elk using Aspen in the evening. Guess what the vegetation looks like on the back side of this hill.

Also, elk are at most elevations in small herds out there. Thick understory at 7k and open slopes at 10k+. Hunt where you like. Elk are around but low density.
Sled, Thanks! Everything you have posted is a huge help in my decision process. I will do some e scouting on the places I found and start to put together a game plan. Thanks again for the help!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Following. My daughter has a general youth bull tag. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you an f16 pilot by chance?

I focus on water and feed in August. They do prefer the food associated with Aspen, but they'll hit grass parks a lot depending on area pressures.

I've seen some elk feeding in the same park as cattle. I've also seen them not stick around long when cattle are about. Sometimes they don't mind and sometimes they do!

For hunting up there, I would just cover as much ground as you can until you find them or really fresh sign.

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
Are you an f16 pilot by chance?

I focus on water and feed in August. They do prefer the food associated with Aspen, but they'll hit grass parks a lot depending on area pressures.

I've seen some elk feeding in the same park as cattle. I've also seen them not stick around long when cattle are about. Sometimes they don't mind and sometimes they do!

For hunting up there, I would just cover as much ground as you can until you find them or really fresh sign.
No I don't fly them, I used to fix them when I was in the USAF. One area I found had no cattle around that I could see. It also had a lot of aspen, so I think I will focus on that area. I have a plan to cover a lot of ground. But there is A LOT of ground up there. LOL So I'm just trying to narrow down on say a 10 square mile area for this season. I have never hunted mule deer or elk, so any insight into where they want to be just helps me decide where to start. Thanks for the info!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you hunting rifle or archery? Rifle gets a bit more pressure and has lots more horse camps packed in compared to archery. Elk tend to winter on the private ground in Wyoming, Wyoming issues late season cow tags, depending on the number of tags issued it can really impact north slope elk numbers in Utah.

Honestly if I was going to learn a any bull unit I'd look at the South slope which has it's own issues but atlest the herd isn't managed by two separate states.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
Are you hunting rifle or archery? Rifle gets a bit more pressure and has lots more horse camps packed in compared to archery. Elk tend to winter on the private ground in Wyoming, Wyoming issues late season cow tags, depending on the number of tags issued it can really impact north slope elk numbers in Utah.

Honestly if I was going to learn a any bull unit I'd look at the South slope which has it's own issues but atlest the herd isn't managed by two separate states.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I will be out there archery hunting. I have friends who say the South slope is packed with people and then you have a lot more private and Indian land to deal with. They have actually moved to different units because of people. I'm just learning the state and trying to leverage areas that might be a little harder to hunt to get away from the crowds.

Sled

WKR
I have never hunted mule deer or elk, so any insight into where they want to be just helps me decide where to start. Thanks for the info!

Deer and elk can be shot in the same place but thriving deer aren't usually where elk are thriving. I've been hunting good deer habitat and harvesting elk there as well. It makes it harder but more interesting. This year I plan to hunt elk a few days where their numbers are strong and hunt deer where my tag is. If you are hunting both in the same area, I'd suggest to focus on one species and be opportunistic with the other.

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
Deer and elk can be shot in the same place but thriving deer aren't usually where elk are thriving. I've been hunting good deer habitat and harvesting elk there as well. It makes it harder but more interesting. This year I plan to hunt elk a few days where their numbers are strong and hunt deer where my tag is. If you are hunting both in the same area, I'd suggest to focus on one species and be opportunistic with the other.
That was the plan, since I can shoot a bull or cow I am focusing more on Elk. Full freezer is the goal! Lol