UL Packable Spinning Rod Setup

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anyone have a good recommendation on one? I've just started a serious search for one, so far I've seen the Daiwa Presso and the St Croix rods. I've got a good ultralight Pflueger reel I'll put on one, just looking to see what everyone else has been carrying. Will make spring bear trips into the wilds of Idaho a little less boring.

I've been using an Eagle Claw Trail Master for a little over a year. Seams like a quality set up for the money. It's a four piece 6'6" rod that fits nicely in a pack, the heaviest part of the set up is the case it comes in ( the case never leaves the truck ).

Bmcox86

WKR
I have the 4 peice st croix and love it. I have it paired with a Stradic 1000 and it does some good work on trout, dollies and grayling

I have the 4 peice st croix and love it. I have it paired with a Stradic 1000 and it does some good work on trout, dollies and grayling

That's one super nice (but expensive) setup.

I have a 2 piece St Croix that I'll bring sometimes if I think I'm going to use it a lot, otherwise it's the Daiwa Spinmatic 4-piece. That way I can throw it in the pack without a case cause it's cheap enough that I don't really care if an eye breaks off or something. That being said, I have started spinning less and fly fishing more when backpacking (I bring both setups usually). A little off topic, but I bought a Cabela's 6 piece Stowaway and it's now my backup as it doesn't cast nearly as nice as my 4 piece Grey's GR30. The leason learned there though was make sure the packable rod is good enough that you're going to be okay fishing with it. Also, the Eagle Claw Trail Master is also very nice. My dad had one of the originals and I now have one for my medium weight rod for when I go to MT. They have a softer tip, which can sometimes hurt casting performance slightly.

Bmcox86

WKR
I use my st croix if I know I'll be fishing, I do a lot of hike in fishing since I came to Alaska. If I want a rod just to have with me in case I come across an awesome fishing hole, I throw in a tenkara rod co mini sawtooth, at under 3oz for a rod, line and some flies it can't be beat

jmez

WKR
Do you want a full sized rod? If not then get a medium action ice fishing jigging rod. They are stiff enough you can cast them yet small enough to just strap to the side of your pack. A fairly good one is $35-$50.

I have had a little Shimano collapsible rod reel combo for years. I think it was under $20 and has caught many a cutthroat in the backcountry. I run 4 lb test and size 0 Mepps spinners. I usually catch twice the fish my buddies do with their fancy fly fishing rigs.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use an Ugly Stick and shimano combo. cheap and durable. I've bent the Ungly Stick in positions that would snap any other rod. It's hard to beat.

troutdreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the Emmrod Packer Combo at a yard sale a few years ago for this purpose but haven't fished it yet. It came with an older style Zebco reel that I figured would be fine for a diversion fishing session on a backcountry trip.

I've looked at them at the annual fair and while I liked the idea I never bought it, but when I found it at a yard sale still in the box at a great deal it was a must buy.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
The St Croix 4 piece is well worth the money. i love the thing and a small pflueger reel take mine everywhere

Pow

FNG
I normally don't fish when I'm back packing, but I'm going on a trip this summer where I'll have time. I was planning on just bringing fishing line and cutting a willow for a pole. I'd just be carrying the fishing line, pretty much no weight. most of the creeks are narrow enough here I could get access to the whole thing with just that setup.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Fenwick Eagle GT 4 piece rod - 7' medium light action. Great for long casts and has enough backbone to handle any mountain lake fish. I carry it in a florescent light tube cut to length. The section above the reel seat has to go on the outside because of the large eye, but have never had any issue breaking one. These are excellent rods for the price and are in the $50-60 range.

Is that the one that comes in the hard case?

No, it comes in a soft case, which I don't use. It's cheap enough that I just risk it and put it in the middle of the pack against the frame. Some use florescent lightbulb tubes, but the lowest eye stands off pretty far so you'll have to go pretty high diameter.

dado5

FNG
I take a tenkara fly rod. total weight 3oz. no need for a reel. Most of the backcountry streams i find are perfect for high sticking.