Ultimate camp box design wanted

rclouse79

WKR
I have large size tote I can just throw in the truck and be pretty well set for a camping trip. I just took it out and was disgusted with how disorganized it always seems to get. I spent some time on the google machine and wasn’t able to find a design that was up to my liking. Has anyone discovered the magic solution for a box that will hold all of the essential gear and keep it organized?

cnelk

WKR
Many years ago I made my own ‘camp kitchen’.

Basically a 2’x2’x2’ wooden box with 2 drawers. The front of the box came off and I made it to extend the top to one side.

I don’t have a pic but if you Google ‘camp kitchen’ you’ll get many ideas.

def90

WKR
I use a couple of large ammo cans that are roughly 10 inches wide, 16 inches tall and 20 inches long. I put all of my tent and sleeping gear in one and all of my camp/cooking stuff in the other. Because they have the rubber water tight seal I can use them for river/raft trips as well.

If I was going to do something else I would get one of those big duffel type bags that have 3 or 4 separate compartments.

Randle

WKR
I have switched to shallower totes as in 6 to 8 inches tall. For me this has helped so stuff does get buried in the bottom.
They stack just like deeper ones and are lighter cause they hold less. This route adds some cost but has helped with the clutter frustration.
I still use deeper if needed nut only a few for bulky gear.

Stack everything how you want it laid out in your vehicle. Take measurements and then build or go buy containers to match.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
Search plans or diagram for Boy Scout "camp kitchen box" or "chuck box" or "kitchen chuck box". Pick which on suits your needs.

Titan_Bow

WKR
We bought a Stanley cantilever tool box from Home Depot, it makes a great camp kitchen. Fits nicely in my trailer, and we can store all our dry food, kitchen accessories and daily camp essentials all in one place.
bf99ed5f5891975de91ba6510a1ad636.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
We bought a Stanley cantilever tool box from Home Depot, it makes a great camp kitchen. Fits nicely in my trailer, and we can store all our dry food, kitchen accessories and daily camp essentials all in one place.
bf99ed5f5891975de91ba6510a1ad636.jpg

Ha, I was just going to post that I found a couple YouTube videos on this exact thing and it looked interesting. Does it seem fairly sturdy? I am thinking I will give it a try.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Ridgid tool box set from Home Depot. I think I used it on two trips. I finally made my own out of plywood. It works fairly well, I use a folding table from Walmart to set it on at camp. It is very heavy when loaded. I use the 17" Blackstone griddle and it is stored inside, so that makes up some of the weight.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Ha, I was just going to post that I found a couple YouTube videos on this exact thing and it looked interesting. Does it seem fairly sturdy? I am thinking I will give it a try.

It’s held up well so far. The metal handle that makes it accordion open is a little flimsy but hasn’t failed. We love it

Ditto on the “chuck box” for scouts. That thing was about perfect for a crew of scouts- but heavy as crap. I think they make them in aluminum as well now.

I’m now using smaller thinner totes as someone said earlier. I’ve really taken a liking to the home depot husky boxes because they are waterproof and have clear lids. They also are stout enough to stand on or use as a makeshift table or whatever. They aren’t the most space efficient but do a really good job for me.

Last edited:
I designed around the equipment I needed. The coffee mugs and cups are plastic and nest. The silverware drawer was pieced together and I made the cover. The upper shelves have two frying pans. The blue thing is a collection of nested stainless steel pots. Most of the top deck is spare parts, hand soap, matches, lantern filiments, etc. the bottom compartments contain dish soap and various items such as cooking utensils and kitchen knives.

Figure out what you need in your kitchen and match the compartments to the items. I made four of these panniers. One contains the gas stoves and hoses. Another has the griddles, and dutch oven. One is for canned goods, and another is paper goods and various items. I redistribute for weight while I am packing and then reorganize once in camp. The kitchen weighs about 40lbs. I then top load with mannied sleeping bags, tents and other lighter items.

Once the camp is in, I resupply it with canvas panniers. The entire camp goes in with two pack horses and one trip and serves 4 people. Personal gear is loaded on your back in a cargo pack. A normal camp was ten days with chicken, roasts, steaks and a ham, taters and eggs breakfast and occasionally pancakes.

I made them back in 1980 and used them for work and play all over the west. A typical work season was May through early October in a camp.

The panniers were easy to load out in helicopters and jet boats also. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

rideold

WKR
I used to have two wooden (plywood) boxes that my father in law made decades ago. The fronts hinged down like a cabinet on its side. We could stack them up and have a pretty sweet camp kitchen setup. I now use two shallow plastic totes from the hardware store. While I miss the cool factor of the wood ones I don't miss lugging them around. I find the totes much easier to use and function out of and they can sit in the rain with the lids on and not get wet inside. I prefer to invest in functional and nesting cookware and dishes that take up as little space as possible. Make for more room in the back of the truck!

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
Great info on here. All my crap is piled in a XL sportsman tote which is okay but extremely unorganized.