Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

Bcjmill

FNG
I'm about to buy the Skre softshell setup. I am 6'5 285. Normally clothes I wear 2xl. But like kuiu I cant even fit the 3xl. That being said should i order the hardscrabble jacket 3xl or 4xl. This athlete cut stuff I'm unsure.

bmf0713

WKR
I’m 6’ 2” 240 and normally wear xl. Got all my SKRE in 2xl and it fits great. Best thing about SKRE is if it doesn’t fit you can send it back and exchange it for free.

Bcjmill

FNG
Ok thanks. Do you have any kuiu ? Just wondering how the skre fit compared to them. The kuiu 3xl stuff is hit or miss with them. I like the skre patterns and the options for bigger sizes.

muddydogs

WKR
I'm about to buy the Skre softshell setup. I am 6'5 285. Normally clothes I wear 2xl. But like kuiu I cant even fit the 3xl. That being said should i order the hardscrabble jacket 3xl or 4xl. This athlete cut stuff I'm unsure.

My guess is the 4xl will be to small or tight if you have any belly at all. I couldn't get the 4xl to even zip plus the shoulders were tight and I'm 6'10" 290.

bmf0713

WKR
I have a couple thing kuiu. The 1/4 zip top in 2xl and i dont like it. it doesnt fit right in the chest and shoulders tight in the belly and the sleeves are barely long enough. The zip off bottoms in xl and they are tight as hell. I think kuiu is made for little skinny people. About like skinny jeans and Abercrombie. haha. I gave up on sending stuff back because it was costing me half what the clothes were worth. Ill just keep it for my kids when they get older or try and sell it to one of my hunting buddies.

bmf0713

WKR
Not badmouthing kuiu because its good quality stuff. It just doesnt fit me right.

bmf0713

WKR
I also just saw on facebook that SKRE is going to come out with a heavier late season hardscrabble pant. Not sure if you wanna wait for that or not.

Bcjmill

FNG
Right I'm with you I'm not bad mouthing kuiu I really like their stuff they just dont fit me on a constant basis. I guess I will give the 4xl a try. Now I may wait on the pants. I want the soft shell stuff just to walk in and I can put my FL Sanctuary jacket and bids on. How is the jacket for walking in Temps around the 30s. I hunt in Mississippi and from the south so that is cold for us down here.

Bcjmill

FNG
My guess is the 4xl will be to small or tight if you have any belly at all. I couldn't get the 4xl to even zip plus the shoulders were tight and I'm 6'10" 290.
Sounds like we are kinda in the same boat. What line fits you the best. I do a little belly but not too much. I have the FL sanctuary jacket and bibs in 3xl and they fit fine they are just too heavy and warm to walk in with. I dont think they would hold up to well in the briars down here either

bmf0713

WKR
I think the jacket is perfect for the 30 degree range when walking. It breathes well and it has pit zips if it gets too hot. Kind of depends on base layer too. If it gets any colder I wear the puffy but i dont walk in the puffy, too hot.

muddydogs

WKR
Sounds like we are kinda in the same boat. What line fits you the best. I do a little belly but not too much. I have the FL sanctuary jacket and bibs in 3xl and they fit fine they are just too heavy and warm to walk in with. I dont think they would hold up to well in the briars down here either
What fits me, Cabelas. Luckely I have some older gear from Cabelas before they went to crap. I've tried all the big name gear and nothing fits, there 3xl and 4xl is about the size of normal clothes xl and 2xl. I wear 3xl in cabelas and normal street clothes.

Bcjmill

FNG
What fits me, Cabelas. Luckely I have some older gear from Cabelas before they went to crap. I've tried all the big name gear and nothing fits, there 3xl and 4xl is about the size of normal clothes xl and 2xl. I wear 3xl in cabelas and normal street clothes.
Thanks. That's pretty much what I have used so far. I'm replacing all of my dry-plus gear. It getting pretty old. Wish they still made it like that these days.

bmf0713

WKR
If you do end up going with SKRE wait for a sale. They run alot of sales. They just had a fathers day and i bet they run a 4th of july sale.

Bcjmill

FNG
Good to know. I think I'm going to try them out I really like mtn stealth pattern. It's dark slots if brown witch should be really good for the woods down here. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. I will comment back on fit and finish when I get them.

bmf0713

WKR
Yeah. I hunt some pretty thick hardwoods in iowa and illinois, the mtn stealth seems to blend in pretty good on the ground and in a deer stand.

muddydogs

WKR
I was all set to go all in on SKRE gear, this year at the Utah hunt expo I found there booth to try some stuff on. Biggest item I wanted was a new jacket and figured if there HS jacket fit I would pick up a couple more pieces. Well the 4xl jacket wasn't even close to fitting so that right there turned me away from caring about anything else. Hit up the other big name brands at the show and didn't find anything else that fit as well.

Bcjmill

FNG
Got my hardscribe jacket, pants, and vest in. Really impressed with this gear. Got the 4xl jacket and fits really good big enough to add some layers and wear the vest. Pants fit perfect and I really like the mtn stealth pattern even more in person. Now all need is hunting season to start so I can test it out. I will be ordering some more of there gear.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since this thread is still getting folks reviewing thier gear I thought I'd better post up the SKRE Gear Rokslide members 15%
3f205643ab70a86cf9739d2c93400cba.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Crap, I just ordered stuff and received it today and forgot about the discount. Actually some of my stuff was on the 20% off sale and the other was the starter bundle so already discounted. I have a bit of Kuiu so I will comment on sizing comparison from my point of view. I'm 6' 195lb, 60yo, 34 waist and 34 inseam, 42 chest, semi athletic build. With Kuiu I get 36 pants, tried 34's but they would pinch the jewels a bit. base layers like the 145 and 125 tops I get Medium and outer layers like 210 merino and jackets I get large. Tried a med Chinook jacket and could wear it but no extra room so gave it to a buddy and got a large. Base layer bottoms are Med as well and a little snug but they loosen up.

SKRE gear I bought all large and 34 pants. The pant fit is a little roomier than the Kuiu 34 but not as big as the 36 from them. Plenty of ball room and waist and length are perfect, a little snug in butt, just enough to keep them there, no problems getting hands in pockets etc. Zipper could be a touch longer, 1/4" or so. Weight of material and feel is great. Gaiters I got L and they could fit up to a 12 boot size I think, in comparison I got a pair of the new Kuiu Kutana gaiters and the larges just fit me. I have the XL in the Yukon gaiters and I run out of adjustment on the top around the calf. Kaibab shirt is perfect weight for single layer in earlier season or second in later part of season. Got the Wasatch too, both in size L and they are not tight nor baggy, just close enough fit. Hardscrabble jacket to me is comparable to the Chinook jacket in weight and use so I will probably only use it during December archery when not wearing rain gear. I bought Summit for most of the stuff but got the mtn stealth for the Kaibab and may prefer that after seeing it in person. All in it looks like great stuff.

trkyslr

WKR
Here is a picture of the kanati inside out.
58519fee98f22e933d12eaa3f7a6a56e.jpg
This hoodie is 95% merino wool and 5% spandex. It has a really nice stretchy feel to it and seems pretty durable at first impressions. You'll notice the flat lock seams and thumb holes make it comfortable and convenient to layer over.
afa029346c2e3cf385d81e14273573ae.jpg
Kanati is a 300gsm wieght hoodie feels like a good mid layer time will tell with some actual use. IMO it has the same flat no shine finish as the other merino wool from SKRE and of course wool makes this extremely quiet. It goes without saying I'm hoping to achieve the antimicrobial and antibacterial benefits of wool for the much touted enhanced odor control after multiple days in the field.
Which size did you get? And what’s your height /weight?