Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

way_south

FNG
I’ve hunted 4 times since I’ve updated and as expected the weather was a pretty good mix. Twice it was upper 40s and 100% humidity one day with rain, the other two times mid to low 60s with almost 100% humidity.

When in the 40s, I wore merino 170 top and bottom, hardscrabble pants, vest, and jacket. I was cold after sitting a while, the dampness really began to get to me. I should’ve worn the Kanati 300 hoodie too and I would probably have been fine. On the rainy day, I wore my Nebo rain gear and stayed totally dry on my walk to the box. My 2nd 40s hunt, I had my 9 year old with me and packed about everything he owned to make sure we didn’t get cut short with cold fingers or toes. I also brought my little buddy heater and used it to keep him comfy. I wore the same gear, knowing I had the heater and my son would want to use it. I was warm and dry, the hardscrabble pants and jacket kept the water off me in the mild drizzle and walking through the brush we needed to get through.

I hunted in some warm slop after inches of rain had fallen. No base layers, hardscrabble pants and jacket with a regular ole cotton shirt. I wound up using the jacket for the ride in the UTV on the way out.

Not much to report so far other than that, I am leaving tomorrow for Alabama and will be in some 30-degree temperatures this weekend.
Bonus picture of my Pudelpointer Rocket pre ride out. I’m colorblind so he finds my deer or hogs for me when they run a bit.

View attachment 83963

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just a average guy that has to work a lot more than I get to chase my dreams in the mountains. When the time finally comes around that I get to go shed hunting, scouting, or hunting I need to maximize my time and efforts. Simply put that means my chosen equipment has to preform as expected. Everyone knows that good gear can be pretty expensive and putting together a full layering system can break the average guys budget. That's why I've chosen to run SKRE Gear the last couple seasons---Great gear at a great price point.
Last season I had few minor complaints with any of the pieces in my system, but when the new summit pattern was announced I knew I wanted to make the switch. I hunt a lot of wide open semi desert terrain and thought this new pattern would really help me blend in. I will tell you after over sixty days in the field I was truly impressed at just how versatile this pattern was for me. I had tags in Idaho Nevada Missouri Montana and Utah. The terrain varied from wide open deserts to near suffocating thick dark timber and everything in between. Archery, Rifle, spot & stalk , run and gun, to tree stands I wore SKRE summit the whole time and it never left me wanting or wishing for something different.
I really feel I've put everything though its paces and documented it really well throughout this thread. If anyone has any questions don't be afraid to reach out here or to SKRE as their customer service is the gold standard. Sorry this thread is so long and hard to find and search out the individual different pieces. Here are some short highlight clips.
Im excited to stop by the SKRE booth at the expo in a couple weeks and see what new for 2019. Ill report back and let you guys know.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a couple favorite pictures from this season. Punched a few tags and had to eat a few tags too. Altogether it was great. Highlight was helping my 86 year old grandfather take a buck. The sheep is impressive table fare
c96e361a25adda1522987b50a300416c.jpg
5422250d01eedee9a16740fa54e537aa.jpg
e7fe7fc2c2010ae3a563d051e9e0a7fe.jpg
6702fe67214aadf4a2fbe0cb910b086a.jpg
ba9a2970fa6344f85acc459de09167de.jpg
920d8119e5994923f3c598521f7619d6.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Went by the SKRE booth at the expo. Had a chat with Mike about the new releases for 2019. They have some exciting stuff coming out for those hot early season hunts. I'll be picking some up in next little while. If you stop by the expo swing by the booth and check it out.
eb59ec105fe005332673cbd1dad0fd9e.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Went by the SKRE booth at the expo. Had a chat with Mike about the new releases for 2019. They have some exciting stuff coming out for those hot early season hunts. I'll be picking some up in next little while. If you stop by the expo swing by the booth and check it out.
eb59ec105fe005332673cbd1dad0fd9e.jpg

Looking forward to your new ‘19 SKRE reviews Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys just wanted to get a review going again this year of SKRE Gear and continue to follow along how its been preforming for everyone so far. A few of you may remember that last year I won the free set of hardscrabble from SKRE and reviewed them along with most of the 2017 clothing line up last season. Review is here if you haven't checked it out yet. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/clothing/62181-skre-complete-review-giveaway-travis-bertrand.html---. I was very excited when SKRE announced a new camo pattern SUMMIT and immediately knew I wanted to run it for 2018. I was luckily enough to attend the western hunting expo in salt lake city and get to cruise the large booth SKRE had there showcasing their products. Summit Pattern | Hunting Apparel & Camo | SKRE Gear. I knew from last season that most of the Skre clothing line fits me well and works well for my style of hunting. After talking with the guys I was excited to learn they will be bringing out new pieces shortly and some pieces had been revamped from last season. I picked up a few things and have high hopes to start collecting a few more a little here and there before the 2018 hunting season kicks off in full swing. I hope those of you that have experience with SKRE will post up comments and pictures here on this thread and help make it the ultimate Skre review.
ad8099d8ecab311f9a05ae4e6d8f7b36.jpg
Quick comparison to some the other popular camo patterns. SKRE mnt stealth, SKRE summit, stika open country, stika elevated 2, kuiu vias, kuiu verde
A helpful comparison of the camo patterns! Thanks for including this picture.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got set up to run SKRE gear on my hunts in 2019. Look forward to contributing to the conversation here.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on your new gear 2019 SKRE Review Is where we'll move all future discussions to keep the thread more manageable.

Last edited:

bmf0713

WKR
I have a bunch of SKRE stuff. I have pretty much everything except kaibab baselayer and rain suit. I love the hard scrabble pants and jacket. Had to order up a size (I’m 6’2” 240 usually wear xl and ordered 2xl) but then everything fits awesome. The 1st run ptarmigan I had to order in xxxl. Just ordered the new hooded ptarmigan and got it in xxl and it fits great. I originally bought everything in mtn stealth and loved it so when they came out with the summit I re-bought everything in summit and adding the Kanati to the collection. Only complaint about the Kanati is that it’s a little short at the waist. I hunt it thick sticks and thorns in the Midwest and have had no problems with durability. This will be my 3rd year using SKRE brand clothing. I’ve always been a sucker for the underdog/not trend so I passed on the Sitka and Kuiu and though I’d give them a try. Im glad I did. I love the price, design, fit and durability so I’ll be a customer as long as they stick around! And I think it’s comparable to the little bit of Kuiu and sitka stuff I own.