Ultralight Custom Bolt Builds

Howdy

New guy here. I need some help with a custom rifle build! I’ve never dabbled in building a bolt gun and would like some input from the experts!

I’ll be building a 6.5 PRC for my wife and 7 PRC for myself. We will be backpacking and in the backcountry so weight is really important. Some of the areas may offer longer range shots so if an ethical opportunity presents itself, we want the gun to be able to handle that.

This is what I have so far:
Action- Lone Peak Razor Ti (maybe Fuzion Ti but it is a little heavier)
Zermatt Ti3-
Anyone compared the 2 of these??

Barrell: Proof Research prefit 22 carbon

Stock: this is where I need a lot of help.
Manners EH-1 carbon
McMillan A3 carbon
AG Carbon K2
Gunwerks Clymr or magnus but It looks like there is a back order and they aren’t taking orders right now..

Suppressor: also need help narrowing down!
7PRC: TBAC 5 or 7
6.5 PRC maybe the Gunwerks 6ix + Ti
Or other Titanium options that aren’t longer than 7 in

Bottom metal and Rings
Hawkins Precision

Optic:
I’ve enjoyed vortex razors in the past but am open to lighter options out there!

Thank y’all. I really appreciate any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSI

WKR
The gunwerks have the best ergos but are easily a year out. Manners and McMillan also have extensive waitlists. Without knowing your hand size it's hard to predict how tolerant you'll be of issues like extended trigger reach which are common in stocks. You may want to check the vertical grip offerings from Stocky's. The AG K2 looks decent but is far from ultralight.

A quick note, titanium actions save a few ounces over light steel (pierce shadow, kelbly nanook etc) at a durability / price cost that many of us do not find compelling. Have a look at the BAT vampire/bumblebee/vesper and other hybrid options before settling on round tube titanium.

-J

Hnthrdr

WKR
Are you a gunsmith or will you purchase the components and have a gunsmith assemble it for you? I would vote for a smith if the objective is creating a precise tool.

Also almost any halfway decent off the shelf rifle will allow for accurate shooting for the average marksman. The part about taking ethical shots is completely up to you and your wife’s level of training and skill. The rifle typically is not the limiting factor in effective hunting, it is the hunter and 98% of hunters should probably not be shooting past 3-400 yards without a lot of practice

Superx3

FNG
I second looking into the Stockys stocks. I put the ultra light Carbon fiber hunter on a 700 short action. I really like it a lot and my stock weight was 22.5 oz. Standard short action 700 in 338 federal Talley rings and leupold 4-12x40. 23 inch Douglas #2 taper weighs in at 7lbs 2oz. Not the lightest gun ever but sure is well balanced and shoots lights out.

Agreed on a light weight steel action over titanium but I am a big fan of lone peak and have heard good things about their ti actions if you have to have titanium.

I'd wait to see how the rok stock turns out or try to find a clymer.

Brownrice

Lil-Rokslider
I would make the rifle as light as possible, then weigh it down with a Trijicon or a Nightforce. You will regret buying a razor. I personally like a rifle 8-9 pounds, definitely not ultra light but helps with recoil and it just feels good in the hand.

Reactions: NSI
Zermatt Ti3-
Anyone compared the 2 of these?? Dont split hairs on one ti action over another with weight, it negligible. I almost went Ti with my last hunting rifle build but ultimately decided to stay with a steel action. No complaints or regrets.

Barrell: Proof Research prefit 22 carbon Yes this is a solid option

Manners EH-1 carbon
McMillan A3 carbon
AG Carbon K2
Gunwerks Clymr or magnus but It looks like there is a back order and they aren’t taking orders right now.. I have run three out of the four of these. if you like the ergonomics, and can get it, go with it.

Or other Titanium options that aren’t longer than 7 in I love my TBAC ultra 7. That would be the shortest I would go for a heavy powdered cartridge. Expect a year wait on suppressors at the moment so if you already have one, go that route over waiting for a new one possibly.

Bottom metal and Rings
Hawkins Precision YES

Optic:
I’ve enjoyed vortex razors in the past but am open to lighter options out there! There are tons of lighter options out there since the Razors are almost boat anchors. I have been pleased with my Leupold VX5HDs and have heard good things about the VX6s as well. A lot of really solid options out there depending on your budget. If possible go put them in your hands before you buy to get an in person look and that applies to everything else on your list.

Hope this helps give you a little bit more perspective.

NSI

WKR
Sorry I missed the vortex comment.

I’d recommend a scope which holds zero, such as the 24oz Trijicon tenmile 3-18.

-J

madcalfe

WKR
Can always check these guys out. They have builds ready to go. I run their stock on my custom sheep rifle (16oz stock) and personally know 2 people that got 7 saums from them and there tack drivers. youd be skipping some wait time on getting one built from scratch

SloppyJ

WKR
No advice on the action. For the stock, the only thing you're going to get quick is a painted McMillan or an AG. Once you're 100% sure on an action, order the stocks.

There are lots of options for suppressors out there. I'd recommend a 30cal can with replacable endcaps necked down to your caliber. AB Raptor is one that meets your criteria. Shameless plug cause I love mine. This will likely be your longest wait item. Get these in now.

Personally I would go BDL or the Hawkins Hunter flush mags if your COAL can work in it.

Hands down the Trjicon scope. Love mine. I love my NX8 too but not sure you want to drop $4k plus just on glass.

OP
C
Are you a gunsmith or will you purchase the components and have a gunsmith assemble it for you? I would vote for a smith if the objective is creating a precise tool.

Also almost any halfway decent off the shelf rifle will allow for accurate shooting for the average marksman. The part about taking ethical shots is completely up to you and your wife’s level of training and skill. The rifle typically is not the limiting factor in effective hunting, it is the hunter and 98% of hunters should probably not be shooting past 3-400 yards without a lot of practice

I’m not a gunsmith but have worked on guns before-primarily ARs honestly. I’m also using this as an opportunity to learn more about the entire process and as a challenge. I’ll be buying the tools and doing it all myself.

And I totally agree with you about the ethical shot. We will spending a lot of time behind the gun before taking them out.

OP
C
Zermatt Ti3-
Anyone compared the 2 of these?? Dont split hairs on one ti action over another with weight, it negligible. I almost went Ti with my last hunting rifle build but ultimately decided to stay with a steel action. No complaints or regrets.

Barrell: Proof Research prefit 22 carbon Yes this is a solid option

Manners EH-1 carbon
McMillan A3 carbon
AG Carbon K2
Gunwerks Clymr or magnus but It looks like there is a back order and they aren’t taking orders right now.. I have run three out of the four of these. if you like the ergonomics, and can get it, go with it.

Or other Titanium options that aren’t longer than 7 in I love my TBAC ultra 7. That would be the shortest I would go for a heavy powdered cartridge. Expect a year wait on suppressors at the moment so if you already have one, go that route over waiting for a new one possibly.

Bottom metal and Rings
Hawkins Precision YES

Optic:
I’ve enjoyed vortex razors in the past but am open to lighter options out there! There are tons of lighter options out there since the Razors are almost boat anchors. I have been pleased with my Leupold VX5HDs and have heard good things about the VX6s as well. A lot of really solid options out there depending on your budget. If possible go put them in your hands before you buy to get an in person look and that applies to everything else on your list.

Hope this helps give you a little bit more perspective.

Thank ya, I really appreciate your input!

axeforce6

WKR
An easy button would be Christensen ridgeline fft’s. And the new silencerco scythe-ti suppressors.