Ultralight Custom Bolt Builds

Just an FYI, its possible to get Tikka into the 5lb (bare rifle) range, with a superlite stainless barrel (the model you get at sportsmans warehouse)... and still be shootable and reliable.

Barrel cut to 16 or 18 inches, muzzle threaded for suppressor.
Have bolt fluted (as aggressive as possible)
add ti bolt nob (MTN gear)
(barreled action will weigh about 56oz including fluted bolt, 16 inch barrel, ti bolt nob)
Stockys Carbon VG stock,
metal bottom metal
Add wieser precision mini arca rail
3oz DNZ 1 piece rings
20oz NXS or SWFA 3-9HD
8oz suppressor like the STI, Jolene S, or Scythe Ti
Mag sleeve with spare rounds
small ultralight tripod like AM225 and a leofoto LH22, or the AOKA cmp163.

All up, you can be under 8.5lbs, very stable platform, vertical grip for maximum control over the lightweight rifle, and scope setup that is likely to hold zero through thick and thin.

My 2 cents: having shot a fair number of ultralight rifles, including 4lb kimber 308s that weigh in under 7lbs scoped and suppressed...

1) the whole point (IMO) of going as lightweight as possible on the rifle itself, is so when you add in quality scopes and suppressor and tripod/bipods, you dont end up with a 10, 11, or even 12lb rifle.

2) lightweight rifles can be shot very accurately, it just takes practice. A big help for me has been switching from traditional sporter style stocks to stocks with pistol grips or vertical grips, that allow me to keep gentle pressure straight backwards into my shoulder, without torqueing the grip side to side. Especially if I can create some sort of a thumb shelf, this works even better.

3) For max shootability, at 500 yards and beyond where a 1MOA level of accuracy is ideal, then a 6.5Creedmoor level of recoil is best with a rifle that weighs not less than 8-8.5lbs (including suppressor, scope, rings, mag, scope covers, ammo sleeve and tripod/bipod.). For a 6mm Creed or 243win, you can drop that down 4-8oz in weight. For a 6ARC, you can drop that down another 4-8oz, and for a 223rem class recoil, you can drop down another 4-8oz. HOWEVER, if you keep shots under 500, and true 1.75MOA is satisfactory, then a 7lb (all up) 6.5Creedmoor level of recoil is comfortable. (bear in mind, the recoil at this level is not in any way "painful" it is just enough that spotting of shots is more difficult, and more attention has to be given to the basics like trigger control and natural point of aim)

4) for lightweight bolt builds, the Pierce Ti is the lightest of which im aware, the Kimber 84m is the next. The MacBros element is a an ounce or so heavier than that, with the NULA or fieldcraft in the ballpark.

5) Kimbers are hard to beat when it comes to budget builds, but aftermarket support is VERY limited. Other threads here on RS show a lot of the creativity that goes into shaving weight from a Kimber, lots of DIY mods to try. Stockys may have a mold for it in the near future as well.

6) truly ultralight scopes (but still reliable) are hard to come by.... It has been noted in various posts that old school leupolds like the M8 fixed line had a reputation for being reliable, and some of those can be found under 10oz. There are a number of reliable red-dot style optics that are ultralight. For modern scopes, the SWFA 9.5oz 2.5-10x ultralight is a very useful scope with the BDC reticle... and using the variable zoom and the SFP reticle, you can sort of "dial" for precise distances with practice (however, there have been several reports of these scopes failing). The next level up that has found some favor here is the trijicon accupoint 3-9, with a mil dot reticle for hold-overs, and only 13oz, it is a good option. HOWEVER, the scopes in the 20-28oz class, like various Nightforce, Trijicon, SWFA, Maven, etc that are proven to be reliable through drop testing and hard use, are perfectly suited for many of my ultralight builds, because I was able to get the "base weight" of the bare rifle light enough that the finished rifle wearing a durable scope is still under 7 or 8lbs.

7) Hypothetical Build:
24-27oz Barrel: 6mmCreedmoor, 18 inch barrel (something like a lilja #1 in a kimber profile, or custom profile from K&P with a flare at the end to .75 to thread 5/8x24).
23oz MacBros element action including trigger and bolt
24oz Stockys VG carbon stock (can shave a few ounces with lighter recoil pad, cutting down forend, etc)
1-3oz Bottom metal
1.5oz 3rd mdt mag
3.5oz macbros 1 piece rings
20.5oz NXS 2.5-10x
8.0oz Scythe ti
.5oz mini arca

6.6lbs- 6.9lbs (Scoped, Suppressed, NOT including Bipod/Tripod or Ammo)