Ultralight(er): 5 Steps to Take Your Backpacking from Light to Ultralight

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
This is an article I wrote for a blog I used to have. Since the blog has been taken down, thought I would share the article here. Enjoy!

Ultralight backpacking is all the rage nowadays. Whether you're just a backpacker, or you're into backpack hunting, your pack just can't be light enough. Technology has certainly helped trim ounces and even pounds from some backpacking gear, but if you really want to go ultralight, you need to take your game to the next level. These are five steps to take your backpacking from light to ultralight.

1. Ditch the Backpack
It may seem counter-intuitive to ditch the backpack in your effort to be an ultralight backpacker, but think about it: your backpack may be your heaviest piece of gear. When people think about what gear to leave at home as they try to go ultralight, they never consider leaving out their heaviest piece of gear! Leaving your backpack at home immediately cuts significant weight from your gear and will change the way you take to the trail. Of course, you'll need to find another way to carry the rest of your gear, but a small bit of improvisation can make it work. Anything from carrying your gear in a plastic garbage bag (I would recommend double-bagging it) to carrying your gear in your arms will work.

2. Carry a Minimal Amount of Water
Many backpackers carry huge quantities of water with them. If you really want to go ultralight, carrying any significant quantity of water just won't work. A 16 ounce water bottle can weigh over a pound. When you're talking ultralight backpacking, anything measured in pounds should be a red flag. Carrying so much water is even more ridiculous when you consider that a human can survive for 3 days without water (sometimes longer). If you can survive for three days without water, do you really need to be carrying so much with you? Anything more than a mouthful is a waste. In the event that you run out of water, it's highly likely that you could find some in 3 days. Leave the rest at home.

3. Get a Haircut
Hair is really a double-whammy. Not only does it weigh you down, but it also kills your aerodynamics with its wind resistance. If you've ever seen a swimmer train for an event, they'll shave their entire body before the big race. If a swimmer will go to those lengths, how much more should someone in an actually difficult physical activity like backpacking do it? Sure, hair doesn't weigh much, but it costs you ounces without giving you any benefit. Plus, hair can turn into a nesting place for bugs and small rodents. Gross. Shave your body head to toe or take a nice, long Nair bath before your next backpacking trip, and be amazed at the difference.

4. Lose Some Weight
This probably sounds obvious, but the concept goes far beyond not carrying extra fat. First off, shed the extra muscle. You don't need to be Hulked out to carry a few supplies and a mouthful of water through the mountains. If you're lifting weights, your first step should be to stop. Secondly, watch your calories on the trail. Considering that the average human can survive for weeks without food, you really only need to bring enough to keep your stomach from growling too loud.

This is one step where you can really go the extra mile (pun intended). Our bodies have spare organs that serve no practical purpose. Think of all the organs that a person can live without - appendix, gall bladder, kidney, testicles - that are just extra weight you're carrying around. Now, I'm not advocating selling your organs on the black market, although that could certainly help pay for some new ultralight backpacking gear! Just keep in mind that if the opportunity arises where you can rid yourself of that extra weight, it's worth trying! That second kidney isn't doing you any favors when you're on a seemingly never ending set of switchbacks.

5. Let Your Food Carry Itself
There are two facts that are apparent to any backpacker: 1.) Lots of people bring animals with them into the backcountry (dogs, alpacas, horses, etc.) and 2.) Animals generally taste delicious. Why pack your food in on your back when your food could pack itself in? Western culture might consider this taboo, but knowing that Fido is going to be your dinner tonight is an incredible way to bond with your favorite pet. Just keep in mind the size of your group - while a Golden Retriever might be a nice meal for 2-3, if you're hiking in with 10+ people, you'll want to consider investing in a horse. The quantity and quality of meat will be well worth the cost. They even make small backpacks for dogs where you can have them pack in the seasonings for that night's dinner (don't go overboard - salt, pepper, and garlic is enough for most breeds).

If you're still reading at this point, hopefully you realize that this article has been satirical. We can all go to ridiculous lengths to try to lighten our backpacking gear. While some measures are worthwhile, it's never worth jeopardizing your health or safety, and certainly not worth jeopardizing your dog's life. Stay safe out there, don't sweat the ounces too much, and for goodness' sake, carry enough water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I love the let your food carry itself part

EastMT

WKR
I’m think I’m gonna need a bigger dog.........

69fb2097528f3c548b6f551f860beb1e.jpg

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Good satire is when the title had you excited for the read yet you walk away happier that it wasn’t true

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Always fun to see this post pop up occasionally when someone else stumbles onto it. Glad you all enjoyed it!

Cmay

FNG
This is an article I wrote for a blog I used to have. Since the blog has been taken down, thought I would share the article here. Enjoy!

Ultralight backpacking is all the rage nowadays. Whether you're just a backpacker, or you're into backpack hunting, your pack just can't be light enough. Technology has certainly helped trim ounces and even pounds from some backpacking gear, but if you really want to go ultralight, you need to take your game to the next level. These are five steps to take your backpacking from light to ultralight.

1. Ditch the Backpack
It may seem counter-intuitive to ditch the backpack in your effort to be an ultralight backpacker, but think about it: your backpack may be your heaviest piece of gear. When people think about what gear to leave at home as they try to go ultralight, they never consider leaving out their heaviest piece of gear! Leaving your backpack at home immediately cuts significant weight from your gear and will change the way you take to the trail. Of course, you'll need to find another way to carry the rest of your gear, but a small bit of improvisation can make it work. Anything from carrying your gear in a plastic garbage bag (I would recommend double-bagging it) to carrying your gear in your arms will work.

2. Carry a Minimal Amount of Water
Many backpackers carry huge quantities of water with them. If you really want to go ultralight, carrying any significant quantity of water just won't work. A 16 ounce water bottle can weigh over a pound. When you're talking ultralight backpacking, anything measured in pounds should be a red flag. Carrying so much water is even more ridiculous when you consider that a human can survive for 3 days without water (sometimes longer). If you can survive for three days without water, do you really need to be carrying so much with you? Anything more than a mouthful is a waste. In the event that you run out of water, it's highly likely that you could find some in 3 days. Leave the rest at home.

3. Get a Haircut
Hair is really a double-whammy. Not only does it weigh you down, but it also kills your aerodynamics with its wind resistance. If you've ever seen a swimmer train for an event, they'll shave their entire body before the big race. If a swimmer will go to those lengths, how much more should someone in an actually difficult physical activity like backpacking do it? Sure, hair doesn't weigh much, but it costs you ounces without giving you any benefit. Plus, hair can turn into a nesting place for bugs and small rodents. Gross. Shave your body head to toe or take a nice, long Nair bath before your next backpacking trip, and be amazed at the difference.

4. Lose Some Weight
This probably sounds obvious, but the concept goes far beyond not carrying extra fat. First off, shed the extra muscle. You don't need to be Hulked out to carry a few supplies and a mouthful of water through the mountains. If you're lifting weights, your first step should be to stop. Secondly, watch your calories on the trail. Considering that the average human can survive for weeks without food, you really only need to bring enough to keep your stomach from growling too loud.

This is one step where you can really go the extra mile (pun intended). Our bodies have spare organs that serve no practical purpose. Think of all the organs that a person can live without - appendix, gall bladder, kidney, testicles - that are just extra weight you're carrying around. Now, I'm not advocating selling your organs on the black market, although that could certainly help pay for some new ultralight backpacking gear! Just keep in mind that if the opportunity arises where you can rid yourself of that extra weight, it's worth trying! That second kidney isn't doing you any favors when you're on a seemingly never ending set of switchbacks.

5. Let Your Food Carry Itself
There are two facts that are apparent to any backpacker: 1.) Lots of people bring animals with them into the backcountry (dogs, alpacas, horses, etc.) and 2.) Animals generally taste delicious. Why pack your food in on your back when your food could pack itself in? Western culture might consider this taboo, but knowing that Fido is going to be your dinner tonight is an incredible way to bond with your favorite pet. Just keep in mind the size of your group - while a Golden Retriever might be a nice meal for 2-3, if you're hiking in with 10+ people, you'll want to consider investing in a horse. The quantity and quality of meat will be well worth the cost. They even make small backpacks for dogs where you can have them pack in the seasonings for that night's dinner (don't go overboard - salt, pepper, and garlic is enough for most breeds).

If you're still reading at this point, hopefully you realize that this article has been satirical. We can all go to ridiculous lengths to try to lighten our backpacking gear. While some measures are worthwhile, it's never worth jeopardizing your health or safety, and certainly not worth jeopardizing your dog's life. Stay safe out there, don't sweat the ounces too much, and for goodness' sake, carry enough water.

Thought you were crazy for a minute there haha

JVigue90

FNG
This is gold as someone new to ultra-lightweight back packing, I'll definitely be putting these tips to use. anyone want a slightly used MR Beartooth 80 ?