Ultralight tip of the week

colonel00

WKR
Does anyone know where to find straws with larger diameter?

Arby's and I believe McDonald's have what I like to call "High Flow" straws. While you are out looking for all of the different types and sizes of straws, don't forget to score some of the specialized condiments and such. For instance, Cabela's has little packets of Frank's Red Hot which are always nice to have to kick up any meal. Another place (can't remember off the top of my head) has mayo w/ olive oil packets which again are great to mix in with some tuna or whatever. Another is a chain of convenience stores around here called Quik Trip carry lemon juice in small packets which is great if you should be doing any fishing for food, salsa packets again to spice a bland meal up, and Grey Poupon packets which again can add a different spin to a meal in a small package.

I have been playing with the straw tricks for a while and find some are better than others. For instance, I too find the fire starter cotton ball in the straw to be more of a pain than it is worth. I went back to just carrying them in an old film container. It is easier to get to them and you can pull off smaller portions if you want and just close it back up. I do use the spice trick though as that works great. As far as pills and ointments, for pills it is great because you can package them based on dosage recommendations but for ointments I again find it to be too much of a mess.

...Another place (can't remember off the top of my head) has mayo w/ olive oil packets which again are great to mix in with some tuna or whatever.
I think you are thinking about Panera Bread. I got some there a couple of weeks ago for a camping trip with my son; regular mayo and mayo with olive oil.

Here is what I have found and where:

Panera Bread: mayo, mayo with olive oil
Any fast food place: catsup, mustard, salt, pepper
Taco Bell or other mexicali places: salsa
Long John Silvers: malt vinegar
Any chain BBQ place: BBQ sauce in different levels of heat and flavors
Kentucky Fried Chicken: butter packets, jelly packets

I basically check out any restaurant I go to and get what they have. They all go into a quart sized zip lock baggie I keep at home for use in future trips.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
there are no bigger straws than the ones at Asian "bubble tea" joints. i bet the inside diameter is half inch.

you can buy them cheap now at chinese grocery stores. they are really burly.

crumy

WKR
I think you are thinking about Panera Bread. I got some there a couple of weeks ago for a camping trip with my son; regular mayo and mayo with olive oil.

Here is what I have found and where:

Panera Bread: mayo, mayo with olive oil
Any fast food place: catsup, mustard, salt, pepper
Taco Bell or other mexicali places: salsa
Long John Silvers: malt vinegar
Any chain BBQ place: BBQ sauce in different levels of heat and flavors
Kentucky Fried Chicken: butter packets, jelly packets

I basically check out any restaurant I go to and get what they have. They all go into a quart sized zip lock baggie I keep at home for use in future trips.

Try Chic Fila for a whole bunch of different condiments in really nice packages. My favorite is taco bell though. You can put that the mild or hot on tree bark and it will taste good....:) Plus they go real well with ramen..