Ultralight Tripod Options

Just picked up the Tricer AD LP combo and boy is it nice. Just glassing the mountain behind my house I can tell I'm gonna like this thing. Only con I've found so far is that the head doesn't fold down nicely. Not a deal breaker for me really.

Attachments

• PXL_20230902_002324695.jpg
    PXL_20230902_002324695.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 104

JSol

FNG
I have the Slik 632 and Wiser 3rd leg setup, and a Wiser pan head. IMO, the Wiser setup is the way to go for minimum bulk and weight. The stability is about equal off either setup for bino glassing. The Slik is too light for me to shoot off of with a magnum rifle since it is near impossible to get in a follow up shot with how much it jumps with the recoil. This is only due to it being so lightweight and I imagine would be the same for all ultralights, the Slik 632 is built like a tank for it’s weight. However, I can disassemble the 3rd leg of the Wiser system and click into the picantinny adapter for a rock solid bipod. The only downfall to the Wiser system is that it will take you 15 seconds to assemble and level where the Slik 632 you could setup in 10.

gtriple

WKR
I have the Slik 632 and Wiser 3rd leg setup, and a Wiser pan head. IMO, the Wiser setup is the way to go for minimum bulk and weight. The stability is about equal off either setup for bino glassing. The Slik is too light for me to shoot off of with a magnum rifle since it is near impossible to get in a follow up shot with how much it jumps with the recoil. This is only due to it being so lightweight and I imagine would be the same for all ultralights, the Slik 632 is built like a tank for it’s weight. However, I can disassemble the 3rd leg of the Wiser system and click into the picantinny adapter for a rock solid bipod. The only downfall to the Wiser system is that it will take you 15 seconds to assemble and level where the Slik 632 you could setup in 10.
Agreed. Nothing beats the Wiser for weight. I love my Spartan Ascent tho.

JSol

FNG
Agreed. Nothing beats the Wiser for weight. I love my Spartan Ascent tho.

That is the Range Rover of tripods, nice choice! Do you shoot off your Davros Gen 2 head on the Ascent? How do you like not being able to lock in your rifle to the “post”? I bought the head for my Slik 632 tripod and couldn’t get as steady as I wanted to be for long shots. Glassing with the pro optics mount worked well but ended up sending it back after they were unable to provide a “post” with a shoulder like the javelin bipod uses.

gtriple

WKR
That is the Range Rover of tripods, nice choice! Do you shoot off your Davros Gen 2 head on the Ascent? How do you like not being able to lock in your rifle to the “post”? I bought the head for my Slik 632 tripod and couldn’t get as steady as I wanted to be for long shots. Glassing with the pro optics mount worked well but ended up sending it back after they were unable to provide a “post” with a shoulder like the javelin bipod uses.
Yes I do shoot off of it. I've got the Tac Pro and the Valhalla as well. They all serve their purpose, but I'm choosing the Ascent if I'm only packing one. I haven't really compared them side by side but I could see what you mean. Even with the lock up post, the Javelin still has a little bit of slop, so I don't think it's a huge advantage. Once you load either with forward pressure, it's pretty solid.

I plan on picking up the new Hercules mount at some point since it will work with the Davros even tho it doesn't have the slots. Being able to lock it down could extend the usable range by 100-200 yards.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up using slik634 with one leg extension and Oaka ballhead. 24.6 oz all up including head. Functions as a solid sitting pod.

Also good for 65mm spotter and shooting rest (sliding - not fixed). Quick to deploy.
Didnt break the bank as already had all components. 3.5oz penaly over Oaka28+sunway but step up in performance, particularly less fiddling with leg extensions and more leg stability.
The Aziac looks awesome.

JSol

FNG
I plan on picking up the new Hercules mount at some point since it will work with the Davros even tho it doesn't have the slots.
I never could get it to lock up like you do with forward pressure and just magnified the shake for myself but I’m not an experienced shooter by any mention of the word. What is this Hercules mount that you mentioned?

And just like that, you guys all cost me money again. Looking forward to the new aziak and tricer combo. I think with the Kowa 553 and my 10x42s it will be perfect! In all seriousness though, thanks!

And just like that, you guys all cost me money again. Looking forward to the new aziak and tricer combo. I think with the Kowa 553 and my 10x42s it will be perfect! In all seriousness though, thanks!
Same as my setup, should cut about 2 and a half pounds from my tripod setup alone, and about 3 and three-quarter pounds from my previous tripod + spotter combo.

IMG_0369.jpegAziak with the long center column, Tricer head, and Kowa 554 with an Aziak arca plate is only 3 lb 6 oz and 14 oz lighter than just my old tripod and head setup!

Last edited:
Man if it wasn’t so close to game time I’d be buying one of these. Seems like a good setup weight wise. I’m back and forth between the aoka and a sirui about a lb difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heads up to anyone wanting to put their RRS BPC-16 micro ballhead on the Aziak tripod, they will not fit together. Aziak's website doesn't say what size of stud it has so I had assumed it was like the other small tripods that I had, and come with 1/4" and a 1/4-3/8 adaptor, but it is only 3/8".

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I took the Aziak out to the range w/ the Spartan Davros head- definitely can shoot off the tripod, something that would be a no go w/ the Aoka. Obviously not something you'd purchase for a NRL or PRS match, but definitely able to shoot off of it.

I spent a couple days hunting one of our backcountry units w/ the Aziak. Definitely more stable than the Aoka and quite a bit more height as well (even with the carbon extension, the Aoka is pretty short)

Weight difference on my scale is less than 5 oz between the two, only ~3 oz if you use the shorter column. Weights include the carbon extension on the Aoka and the Davros head on the Aziak

The price difference is significant though, the Aoka is great bargain for sure.

GsOgv88.jpg

eWfpD7k.jpg

eHIwVmk.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sooooo… I forgot my trekking poles last trip (and my phone!) which sucked as it was a steep 3-ish mile climb (followed by a steep descent) AND when I got to a suitable camp spot realized I needed a trekking pole for my shelter. Thought on it a bit and put the Aziak into action and voila! :ROFLMAO:

I’ve been using the Tricer-AD tripod this year with the va-5 head. it’s pretty nice, not sure on weight.

bwc33

FNG
Welp/ thanks to this discussion I have ordered the aziak backcountry tripod, VA5 head and a new pair of swaro EL 10x42 . Really looking forward to get it all in hand and start playing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk