Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Cool find. While I'm interested in the Stowaway and adore the 5.7x28, they lost me with it being a single shot. A mag-fed version would be infinitely cooler.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
That's really cool in and of itself and seems like a great idea. I'd like to know more details about how it actually works (loading, extraction, etc.), and $400 certainly is very reasonable.

Given the Red Ryder II should come in within an ounce of the Stowaway, as StupidLightweight said, having a mag fed repeater option is a no-brainer for myself.

Years ago I built a lightweight based on a G2 Contender (though nowhere near as light as the Stowaway). I found the single shot limitation was a bigger PIA, for myself, than I thought it would be. I still ended up having to carry ammo around somewhere, having it in an AR magazine ready to go with fast follow-ups when necessary, was a game changer for myself. The G2 is long gone, though this design is a HUGE step up weight and cost wise from any G2 build.

To add: I don't really have any practical use for it as it's currently offered, but I'm really tempted to buy one just to check the damn thing out. I would like to know if it might offer primary extraction for larger cases given it seems to use a turn-bolt. I'm envisioning the lower receiver design lengthened to accept a magazine. If someone buys one, a detailed review would be great!

Last edited:

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Can't wait for more info on the Stowaway, but in the meantime:

Anyone have an idea for a non-battery-operated, short range, lightweight optic, that's halfway affordable? Something like a micro sized 1x but which doesn't rely on battery power? Seems that would be perfect for woods hunting.

Taudisio

WKR
Can't wait for more info on the Stowaway, but in the meantime:

Anyone have an idea for a non-battery-operated, short range, lightweight optic, that's halfway affordable? Something like a micro sized 1x but which doesn't rely on battery power? Seems that would be perfect for woods hunting.
The primary arms micro prisms. They have a 1x a 3x and a 5x. I took the batteries out of mine as I won’t use the illuminated reticle.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Also musing around this thought in reference to that Stowaway: if the 223/77 TMK is so capable on elk sized game, what about the 5.7, with something like a 50 gr Vmax, on deer? Hypothetically speaking of course.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
The primary arms micro prisms. They have a 1x a 3x and a 5x. I took the batteries out of mine as I won’t use the illuminated reticle.
I had no idea they worked without the battery. Which parts of the reticle still show up? It looks like the center aiming mark is illuminated?

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
More hypotheticals: With the fixed breech and 16" barrel, the Stowaway in 5.7x28 should be able to push a 55 gr V-max to ~2400 fps with Lil-Gun powder, which would stay above 1600 fps out to 250 yds. Certainly sounds deer-worthy to me.

These are great optics. I have a 1x on a turkey shotgun that's just outstanding for performance - the reticle gives the precision point of the chevron tip, but also speed with donut part on moving targets, as it essentially matches the shot-spread pattern with the donut part. They're also built pretty rugged. I've been incredibly happy with it.

Taudisio

WKR
I had no idea they worked without the battery. Which parts of the reticle still show up? It looks like the center aiming mark is illuminated?
Imagine a large rifle scope with a center dot that can illuminate, but doesn’t have to. Same thing. It’s either standard black reticle, or turn on the power and it’s red. Nothing goes away except the color.

Taudisio

WKR
Also musing around this thought in reference to that Stowaway: if the 223/77 TMK is so capable on elk sized game, what about the 5.7, with something like a 50 gr Vmax, on deer? Hypothetically speaking of course.
While some have had success with the 77gr tmk on elk, I have no experience with doing so. Based on my own experiences with a respectively much larger cartridge, I would not use or recommend a 5.56 for elk. I have used a 5.56 (60gr nos partition) on deer ribs, and based on that experience, I would not want to use anything smaller. Accuracy and distance willing, I would shoot one in the noggin/neck with the 50gr out of a 5.7. If you do use it on some deer ribs, I would love to see your results/necropsy and possibly change my mind.

robtattoo

WKR
While some have had success with the 77gr tmk on elk, I have no experience with doing so. Based on my own experiences with a respectively much larger cartridge, I would not use or recommend a 5.56 for elk. I have used a 5.56 (60gr nos partition) on deer ribs, and based on that experience, I would not want to use anything smaller. Accuracy and distance willing, I would shoot one in the noggin/neck with the 50gr out of a 5.7. If you do use it on some deer ribs, I would love to see your results/necropsy and possibly change my mind.
Not to derail this thread or flog any further deceased equines..... but the TMK and Partition are so far different from each other, there's no way to compare the 2.
I've been hunting with 5.56/.223 for a very long time with similar match bullets. Switched to the TMK when they first appeared (I actually started off with 69s) & haven't looked back since. I've had more DRT, instant kills with both the 69 & 77 TMK than I've ever had with any other bullet, in any chambering. Hands down.

Taudisio

WKR
Not to derail this thread or flog any further deceased equines..... but the TMK and Partition are so far different from each other, there's no way to compare the 2.
I've been hunting with 5.56/.223 for a very long time with similar match bullets. Switched to the TMK when they first appeared (I actually started off with 69s) & haven't looked back since. I've had more DRT, instant kills with both the 69 & 77 TMK than I've ever had with any other bullet, in any chambering. Hands down.
Oh I’ve heard, that is why I bought 4 boxes of them and will be carrying them in the rifle this coming Monday for spring bear, and this fall for blacktail. Elk are not the same as deer. Not bulletproof, but not the same. I spend too much time, money, and energy on elk to be “testing” cartridges on them. Plus, 243 minimum cartridge size.
-Just trying to answer his question of a 50g v-max for deer, with my personal thoughts based of my experiences.

180ls1

WKR

Let me ask you this. This is one of my bucks from this year. 320 yards, quartering away, and running out of time to shoot (skyline). Would you have taken it with the 223tmk? This is not a challenge, I am genuinely curious.

robtattoo

WKR
To be 100% honest, that would be about my own personal limit, however, for quartering away angle. Range isn't a problem, but I'm not comfortable with hard quartering shots, regardless of cartridge. Never have been.

You guys are wasting your time arguing about the 77 TMK. Why? I saw on "The View" today that Sierra is working on a 43-grain TMK in 20-caliber. This will likely make the .223 obsolete for deer, elk, moose, bear, elephant, and rhino hunting. And, as Thegman taught me, the smaller the bore diameter, the lighter the barrel can be made. If we push a manufacturer to sleeve an aluminum barrel, we might get a dangerous-game hunting rifle below the 2-pound weight!

Taudisio

WKR
Let me ask you this. This is one of my bucks from this year. 320 yards, quartering away, and running out of time to shoot (skyline). Would you have taken it with the 223tmk? This is not a challenge, I am genuinely curious.

Looks just like my shot last year at 347 except mine was downhill! Nearly the same shot placement. A mushroom made from a 210gr ABLR was stuck in the skin just in front of the offside shoulder. My elk rifle proved to bang flop deer. What caliber did you use and how far did he make it?
Sorry to continue to de-rail the thread!

180ls1

WKR
Looks just like my shot last year at 347 except mine was downhill! Nearly the same shot placement. A mushroom made from a 210gr ABLR was stuck in the skin just in front of the offside shoulder. My elk rifle proved to bang flop deer. What caliber did you use and how far did he make it?
Sorry to continue to de-rail the thread!

300 PRC - 225 ELDM - 2850mv

I can't remember where the bullet would up but I was surprised he didn't fold right away. He ran forward 20 yards and stood broadside, I hammered him again. Then he ran downhill 20 yards and crashed. 1st never exited, maybe kept 1/2 its weight. 2nd exited. The insides were an absolute soup.