Why are factory single shot rifles not lighter?

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a Ruger #1 in 6.5 ManBun (Creedmoor) that weighs 6.8 pounds with a 24" barrel.
https://ruger.com/products/no1/specSheets/21319.html.

Here's another Ruger #1 that weighs 7.5 pounds with a 24" barrel. It depends on which model you get. I have two Ruger 1B's that are a little heavier due to the 26" medium heavy barrel.
My .375 is 8.25#ish bare. It's about as light as I'd want a rifle in that cartridge, but it carries so well. I bought it because the price was right and the No. 1 was a bucket list rifle for me.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Encore4me

FNG
I think they could make one with an aluminum receiver carbon fiber stock and pencil barrel, that would be light. I would take one in 6mm CM and a 18’ barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
I have a cva scout (not v2) and was surprised how heavy it was when I first got it for how big it was. It was about 6 lbs 4 oz from the factory. I just had 2 inches cut off the barrel and had it threaded but haven’t had a chance to weigh it again yet. It’s super short which is cool but it is heavier than I anticipated even though I knew the numbers before I made the purchase.

I have been having a hard time deciding on an optic since I don’t want to ad weight so I’m thinking real hard about buying a 1MOA trijicon Sro reflex sight and seeing if I can hit anything with it at 3 or 400 yards. 🤷‍♂️ they weigh just over 1 oz.

Anybody have any experience shooting longer distances with red dot sights?

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a dirt cheap (100ish dollars) single shot 20g for turkey hunting. Ready to hunt with a 1x scope, flip flop recoil pad and sling it is just under 6lbs so I don't see how a rifle wouldn't be doable

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to have an 18 inch sporter weight barrel in 7-30 Waters to piddle with.

I thought the same. Even placed the order…then, after speaking to a guy at MGM and others, was advised it would be very butt heavy and hard to shoot. I figure I can always cut it down if I want. Haven’t figured out a good way to put length back on yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluefish

WKR
I thought the same. Even placed the order…then, after speaking to a guy at MGM and others, was advised it would be very butt heavy and hard to shoot. I figure I can always cut it down if I want. Haven’t figured out a good way to put length back on yet!

Just add a silencer. Adds weight up front.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
It's mostly the barrel. I had a synthetic Contender carbine 35 Rem with a tapered barrel that was 4.9 lbs. The buttstock is 17 oz, so that can be lightened as well.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I always thought the CVA scout was a missed opportunity at something much lighter as well.

Vern400

WKR
Because 4 pound full power rifles hurt. And they're more sensitive to how you hold them ie. Harder to shoot well.

You could easily build a lightweight single shot bolt action rifle. They have them but they are not that popular because most people want a magazine of some kind for "fast reloading".

Geewhiz

WKR
You could easily build a lightweight single shot bolt action rifle. They have them but they are not that popular because most people want a magazine of some kind for "fast reloading".
Give me an example and how light weight are we talking?

I think the appeal to the CVA's is that they are under $350.

Give me an example and how light weight are we talking?

I think the appeal to the CVA's is that they are under $350.
I said build so it isn't factory and thus more expensive. But you can install a block off plate to the bottom of a repeater action and have a single shot. MK Machine makes an AICS "blind mag" that fits into bottom metals that turn repeaters into single shots

BAT Machine and Borden both make single shot actions, barrel of your choice, trigger of choice, and then stock/chassis of your choice. If you make the right choices you can be real light.

I just picked up a CVA Scout w/22" in .44 mag.....7.2 pounds with a picatinny rail. Going to cut the barrel to 16.1 " for my suppressor and a Holosun 507C