Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
You guys are wasting your time arguing about the 77 TMK. Why? I saw on "The View" today that Sierra is working on a 43-grain TMK in 20-caliber. This will likely make the .223 obsolete for deer, elk, moose, bear, elephant, and rhino hunting. And, as Thegman taught me, the smaller the bore diameter, the lighter the barrel can be made. If we push a manufacturer to sleeve an aluminum barrel, we might get a dangerous-game hunting rifle below the 2-pound weight!
204 Ruger for the win!

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
300 PRC - 225 ELDM - 2850mv

I can't remember where the bullet would up but I was surprised he didn't fold right away. He ran forward 20 yards and stood broadside, I hammered him again. Then he ran downhill 20 yards and crashed. 1st never exited, maybe kept 1/2 its weight. 2nd exited. The insides were an absolute soup.
I'm not surprised at all. That shit happens with marginally effective rifles like that... 😅

A few years ago I shot a broadside buck at 280 with my 308. Not much reaction so I hit him two more times broadside and he then ran about 40-50 yards out of view and went down.

Someone mentioned this on the 223 thread that when this happens with an obviously adequate rifle we just say "That was weird, tough deer (or bear, or whatever)". When the same thing happens with a smaller "questionable" cartridge, we're quick to blame the cartridge for the same kind of results. I've certainly been guilty of that, but haven't had to (yet) with my limited 8 or so samples from the 77TMK. Not saying it's "better" than my 308/30-06, but it's been really effective, so far anyway.

All that said, I'm still thinking my 125BT 300 HAM'R load -might- out perform the 77TMK within 300 yards or so with respect to internal damage -and- blood trails. That's a wicked little bullet. My buddy, who generally shoots a 270 or 30-06, once commented on the carnage inside a 300 HAM'Rd deer I was cutting up, "I don't know, that does almost too much damage." The 77TMK seems to do the same internally, but probably with less blood trails. Shooting shoulders it probably doesn't matter, but being a meat hunter, I prefer to keep shoulders intact and sometimes a blood trail is important in these cases.

2.8lbs - I have ZERO other info or time to research at the moment but figured its worth posting.

That looks fun. I love loading and shooting the little 5.7.

Taudisio

WKR
300 PRC - 225 ELDM - 2850mv

I can't remember where the bullet would up but I was surprised he didn't fold right away. He ran forward 20 yards and stood broadside, I hammered him again. Then he ran downhill 20 yards and crashed. 1st never exited, maybe kept 1/2 its weight. 2nd exited. The insides were an absolute soup.
Very similar setup to my 30 nosler-210 at 2890mv (it’s at 3030fps now). Your deer was more mature by a few years. I had a conversation with a buddy yesterday about shots on game. It ended with, “idk man, bullets do weird stuff sometimes”

Taudisio

WKR
Someone mentioned this on the 223 thread that when this happens with an obviously adequate rifle we just say "That was weird, tough deer (or bear, or whatever)". When the same thing happens with a smaller "questionable" cartridge, we're quick to blame the cartridge for the same kind of results. I've certainly been guilty of that, but haven't had to (yet) with my limited 8 or so samples from the 77TMK. Not saying it's "better" than my 308/30-06, but it's been really effective, so far anyway.

Shooting shoulders it probably doesn't matter, but being a meat hunter, I prefer to keep shoulders intact and sometimes a blood trail is important in these cases.
Ain’t that the truth! Those words have probably come out of my mouth a few times.

That’s my burger and jerky stick meat! I don’t want to be near it unless I don’t have many other options! I didn’t have much of a blood trail with my 5.56-60gr partition through the ribs of a small blacktail. It didn’t help to be raining at the time and under madrone trees in the red leaves/bark.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Ain’t that the truth! Those words have probably come out of my mouth a few times.

That’s my burger and jerky stick meat! I don’t want to be near it unless I don’t have many other options! I didn’t have much of a blood trail with my 5.56-60gr partition through the ribs of a small blacktail. It didn’t help to be raining at the time and under madrone trees in the red leaves/bark.

Of the six deer I've taken with the 77TMK, only one ran a distance (~100+ yds) where a blood trail would have been helpful, but was pretty much non-existent until just before where he died. I had my dog with me though and she found it in less than a minute; might have been difficult otherwise.

On the same note as above, I had to remind myself of the multiple times I've had a non-existent blood trail with a 30 caliber bullet on deer and other animals. I never found myself blaming the 30 caliber bullet on those occasions.

Even though the 77TMK shot was a pass through (lungs), there are so many other variables beyond pass-through and caliber (like how high the hit is) that affect a blood trail. I guess I'll just have to shoot a lot more animals to come to any sort of conclusion, but the 77TMK has so far done really well.

BTW, I'm guessing my conclusion will be something like "They're all a lot more similar than different".

Taudisio

WKR
Of the six deer I've taken with the 77TMK, only one ran a distance (~100+ yds) where a blood trail would have been helpful, but was pretty much non-existent until just before where he died. I had my dog with me though and she found it in less than a minute; might have been difficult otherwise.

On the same note as above, I had to remind myself of the multiple times I've had a non-existent blood trail with a 30 caliber bullet on deer and other animals. I never found myself blaming the 30 caliber bullet on those occasions.

Even though the 77TMK shot was a pass through (lungs), there are so many other variables beyond pass-through and caliber (like how high the hit is) that affect a blood trail. I guess I'll just have to shoot a lot more animals to come to any sort of conclusion, but the 77TMK has so far done really well.

BTW, I'm guessing my conclusion will be something like "They're all a lot more similar than different".
I shot one of my mule deer with my bow last year. I was following drops every 10 feet and tracks until about 100 yards into the trail where he started spraying 3 feet wide. It made the last 50 yards of tracking a fast pace. That’s with a 1.25” fixed blade in and out. I didn’t think I would find him with the sign I found in the beginning. Not much rhyme or reason.

Attachments

• IMG_3198.png
    IMG_3198.png
    1 MB · Views: 17
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I shot one of my mule deer with my bow last year. I was following drops every 10 feet and tracks until about 100 yards into the trail where he started spraying 3 feet wide. It made the last 50 yards of tracking a fast pace. That’s with a 1.25” fixed blade in and out. I didn’t think I would find him with the sign I found in the beginning. Not much rhyme or reason.

That's crazy. If anything was going to bleed, it looks that shot was the perfect scenario. Like you say, sometimes bullets (and broadheads, and animals) do weird things.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
And now for something totally different (but still with the weird theme!)...

I had to do some plumbing work in the house. As I put some stuff back after finishing I looked over at the miscellaneous barrel nuts waiting on the next project...and then at the 10" PVC tailpiece in my hand...and then wondered if they fit together.

Well, they do, all of them. The tailpiece tapers internally so some fit in further than others, but they all fit snugly (to the point I had to beat them out with a piece of wood.

Then I got out the scale and found the PVC tube weighs about the same as a 1mm wall CF tube. Hmmm...

These rifles don't need much from a handguard, mostly just something to shoot from and sling from. A little flex probably isn't an issue at all.

I think with a tight fit and a screw or two it might work. They make a lot of lengths so maybe a long tube cut for a tight fit and then cut on the other end to desired length would work?

$12 sub-3oz 10"snow camo handguard anyone? Maybe you paint artists would be able to make it look less crappy... 😅

I have some CF tube waiting for one more part I need, but I think I'll try this for the hell of it. Any painting tips more than welcome!

20240329_152312.jpg

Taudisio

WKR
I just painted mine the other day. I’ll send a picture in a minute and if you like it, I’ll give you some of my lessons learned

Taudisio

WKR
And now for something totally different (but still with the weird theme!)...

I had to do some plumbing work in the house. As I put some stuff back after finishing I looked over at the miscellaneous barrel nuts waiting on the next project...and then at the 10" PVC tailpiece in my hand...and then wondered if they fit together.

Well, they do, all of them. The tailpiece tapers internally so some fit in further than others, but they all fit snugly (to the point I had to beat them out with a piece of wood.

Then I got out the scale and found the PVC tube weighs about the same as a 1mm wall CF tube. Hmmm...

These rifles don't need much from a handguard, mostly just something to shoot from and sling from. A little flex probably isn't an issue at all.

I think with a tight fit and a screw or two it might work. They make a lot of lengths so maybe a long tube cut for a tight fit and then cut on the other end to desired length would work?

$12 sub-3oz 10"snow camo handguard anyone? Maybe you paint artists would be able to make it look less crappy... 😅

I have some CF tube waiting for one more part I need, but I think I'll try this for the hell of it. Any painting tips more than welcome!

View attachment 693981
Still waiting on my barrel from x-caliber…….

Attachments

• IMG_3199.jpeg
    IMG_3199.jpeg
    738.6 KB · Views: 39

Taudisio

WKR
Looks good. Your tips on getting paint to stick well to plastic would be much appreciated!

It was my first time trying to do a pattern and not just a straight color. I wish I spent more time on taping/trimming the tape (this is always a problem for my short attention span), I degreased, and used a primer spray paint first. I learned to put the green (secondary color) down first…..I painted 3 layers because I had to learn once lol. The stencil (cedar branch) needs to be as close/flat as possible. I wish I did another layer of matte clear coat (I did two). And just because it wasn’t sticky, didn’t mean it was dry…..let it hang for 24 hrs. And remember to keep the can farther away. Time in the woods will tell how it holds up.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I'll look for a plastic primer paint, I think I may even have some. Probably just paint it black or gray anyway. This won't be a high priority, but might be worth trying as it won't take much time or money. Have some time to kill before I have the upper I want to use on this Red Ryder II project.

To add: I actually want this project to look decent...this probably won't help to that end...maybe too ghetto even for me.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I'd never paid any attention while buying plumbing stuff, but these handguards come in tacticool black as well as snow camo, and the black handguards are even $.75 cheaper....usually one has to pay a premium for the cool tactical stuff...

I also noticed they make all kinds glue-on threaded adapters for these handguards for attaching flashlights, and lasers and other stuff. Thank me later...😅

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Just finished putting together another rifle for a friend that wanted one after using my ultralight gasser on a hunting trip and seeing the Red Ryder in the field last year.

He wasn't trying to go as light as possible, but still ultralight and easy to drop in his pack.

He was waiting for a fluted buffer tube to come in stock, but that wasn't happening so he splurged on an Andro Corp CF buffer tube (and was nice enough to get me one as well).

They weigh 2.7 oz and with the CAR15 stock weigh 6.5 oz. They fit well to the CAR stock and seem really well built. Probably worthwhile if you want a superlight collapsible stock...and have money burning a hole in your pocket...😅

20240404_163743.jpg

20240404_163755.jpg

His rifle is a 223 Wylde with a Faxon barrel. It came out really nice, totally "plug-and-play" with zero modifications to any parts.
20240404_163708.jpg

For carrying my ultralights, I fill a large helium balloon and tie it to the barrel using dental floss. Once it's buoyant, I then fashion a small leash and tie it to my pack. A floating AR is essentially weightless, but you must be careful when going through brush. I've lost a few balloons and even rifles this way, so I'd suggest also bringing a BB pistol and practice your draws in case the leash snaps and you need to pop the balloon.
This made me laugh hard. I’m picturing guys in Kuiu head to toe climbing around in the mountains. Transparent helium balloons tied off to their packs. Heck, maybe it’s a new concept for a pack accessory. Internal helium pack to fill any dead space in the pack.