Ultralight vs. comfort

mfolch

WKR
I recently decided to foray into ultralight backpacking. I've been using a dt1 for hunting season which is great, and I wanted a 3-4-day pack with a more flexible frame than the bikini for scouting and hiking. I also have an Express for edc and small trips - too small for more than two nights, in my opinion.

I purchased two ultralight packs from fairly nice American makers (ULA and gossamer gear) and was disappointed by the weight-transfer (in)abilities. 20lbs in the ULA and gg felt like 30 on my Express *without the omni hip belt.* 15lbs was ok, and maybe that's all one needs for a 3-day trip, but if you ever bring any scouting or cold-weather equipment, the ultralight packs seem to be useless. At 25lbs, they both began to feel structurally unsound; at 30 they buckled. On top of that, my shoulders are apparently uneven, which you can adjust for on kifaru packs, but on the ultralight packs it threw everything off balance.

So, now I'm back to square one. I had a small highcamp, but it was too big and I want to steer away from the stiffness of the bikini frame. I'm thinking of purchasing either a Late Season or (more likely) a Zulu; both are the right size for 3-5 day trips. My questions are: does anyone have any strong opinions/experience regarding the weight-vs.-comfort debate when it comes to hiking with, say, 20-30lbs? Any thoughts on the Late Season and/or/vs. a Zulu? Are there ultralight packs that you've found to carry as comfortably as kifaru? In other words, can anyone here spare me the cost of purchasing yet another kifaru pack? Thanks.

sneek-ee

WKR
Check out seek outside.
Paradox packs are great and lightweight. (Less than 4 lbs, some right around 3.)
You sacrifice zero comfort. They have quite a few options.
Stone glacier is under 4 lbs also. The solo would be great for 2-3 days.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Arc Blast from Z packs. Absolutely NOT for hunting or meat hauling, but the greatest ultralight pack I've ever seen. It weighs 1 pound and has an ultralight carbon fiber frame that handles up to thirty pounds incredibly comfortably! I haven't had any more than that in it, for five day backpacking trips (17 pounds) and weekend scouting trips (around thirty pounds with spotting scope and tripod, etc.) It has a breathable, suspended back panel and is 100% waterproof. It's available with a variety of custom sizes and accessory options. I'm telling you, you won't believe a one pound pack can be this comfortable. It is also surprisingly durable. A hybrid cuben fiber/nylon fabric will hold up to anything you need it to, assuming you're not reckless with it. Well-made, incredible product.

DaveC

WKR
It depends on which packs you bought. The ULA CDT and GG Kumu are frameless, require careful packing, and will mostly ride on your shoulders regardless, but 15-20 pounds on your shoulders should be no big deal.

If you got a Circuit or Gorilla and found the frame buckling at 30 pounds, you either bought too small or packed really poorly. These pack still need to be packed with a modicum of care, but I've carried a disassembled mountain bike on my Gorilla without the frame flexing much at all. The hipbelt was actually the limiting factor.

View attachment 15533

The Paradox is nifty in that the frame flexes with your back at light loads, and stiffens as the weight goes up. Certainly a good option. The harness can be tilted a bit (it adjusts with two separate buckles), but not with total independence like the Kifaru system.

OP
M

mfolch

WKR
Gossamer gear mariposa, ula ohm. I would have preferred the gorilla but it lacks load lifters.

DaveC

WKR
Gossamer gear mariposa, ula ohm. I would have preferred the gorilla but it lacks load lifters.

The Circuit might suit you well. The Gorilla does not need load lifters if sized properly, though if your torso length is above 21" you're out of luck. I'm not a fan of the Mariposa, it's big enough that the lack of compression often becomes an issue for the uninitiated.

charvey9

WKR
The good thing is you don't have to sacrafice comfort for weight these days. It doesn't sound like you are in the market for a whole new pack, however I have to throw stone glacier out there as an option. Comfort starts with the frame, and the krux is comfy and light. With multiple bag options, you can can get a pack(s) in any size. The load transfer capabilities of the frame are awesome. I have a sky 7400, which is their largets pack, and tip the scales at just over 32lbs with all of my 3 season gear, 2 liters of water, and 2 days worth of food and it feels like 20 when you have the load adjusted correctly.

chindits

WKR
IMHO, you really don't need a framed pack for scouting unless you are trying to multipurpose your hunting pack. It's easy to be in the sub 20 lb range for 3-4 day scouts if your shelter weighs less then 2 lbs, you have a bag in the 2 lb , or less range range, and your pack weighs less then 2 lbs. I am typically in the 15-20 lb range on my 3 day weekend scouts and the only frame my pack has is my xtherm neo air folded up and sliped in to the pack sleve. Now if I was carrying a case of beer or enough gear for a 1 week hunt, I would grab my paradox which I am still testing and have mixed opinions on. Otherwise a frameless Elemental Horizons has done me well for a couple years with only one hole to patch. Although a few years ago, it seems like they cost less.

i keep fighting this battle as well. i dont pack like an UL'er enough i guess so i keep being unhappy with these packs thats have squidgy frames and pathetic waistbelts. still searching..

It's hard to switch to an ultralight pack when the rest of your gear is not ultralight. These packs are designed for a base weight of about 10lb, with a total weight of not much more than 20lb. If you pack them well, you can use them for heavier weights, but that is not their intended use. If your base weight is much over 10lb, then it's not really ultralight, and an ultralight pack is not the best way to carry it.

There are other good packs that are designed for such weights. The REI flash 45 and 62, as well as the Osprey Exos 58 are good options along with those mentioned above.

Just curious but why do you not want a rigid frame for scouting trips? I'd think you could strap on an UL dry bag onto your duplex or a bikini frame with 24" stays and be ultralight. Especially if you're packing optics on your scouting trips. Most tripod/spotter combos are upwards of 6 lbs, UL sleep system is around 4, plus food for 3 days is another 4.5 lbs, that's near your 15 lb UL limit right there, not to mention water and any extra clothes.

DaveC

WKR
The Flash and Exos actually have worse weight transfer abilities than the Mariposa, Gorilla, Circuit, etc. What these mainstream packs do have is a framesheet, which is more forgiving of poor packing.