Ultralight vs. comfort

I hike with my normal hunting pack to stay used to how it feels.

I went with the SG Solo because it is very light for a framed pack and yet capable of hauling 100+ pound loads when needed.

No, it's not an ideal UL pack, but the best compromise I could find.

stephen b

WKR
^^ Agree with that- the SG Solo is an awesome lightweight pack that is light enough to be a daypack, yet can do heavier loads when necessary. At 3.5 pounds, it is light enough for most all my use. I do have a very close to truck 2 LB day pack that I can use, but that is usually only used for non hunting day hikes. For hunting, or backpacking- the Solo is the one I use the most.

jlsteel

FNG
I use my DT1 for everything. Training, non-hunting hiking, scouting, extended hunts, day hunts, fishing, car camping. For whatever reason I don't find it cumbersome.

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
Man I got to get my hands on a SG or KIfaru pack, I received my Ultra 6000 last week and have put in a couple of short 2-3 mile hikes with 2 40# bags of salt (one on the shelf and one in the bag) and I think it is the best pack I have ever wore. I thought that the pack carried the weight very well and I did not get any hot spots. Again, I have not had the pleasure of ever using the SG or Kifaru and if they are leaps and bounds better like everyone is claiming I cant wait to try them out. If anyone around Missoula has one (SG or Kifaru) that they would let me try for a day or so I would be down.

Cheers.

I just picked up a KU 5200 for use during the winter months, I can hardly wait to put this dude to use. To me, going the UL route is a lot like dieting, it really takes a lot of work and dedication, but rewarding once you get it right.

I just got my Approach and Solo.
First pack(s) I've ordered where I was NOT disappointed. My high hopes of construction, comfortability, and ease of use were exceeded. I am smiling. No field test yet, but I did throw 60+ pounds of lead in the solo and it felt like a dream compared to some other packs.

Couple things-
The three piece waist belts seemed to run a tad big for the sizing chart. I have a 38" waist and I went with the XL. I will probably end up ordering a large.
The grey material is a little bright for my taste so I am going to soak mine in deer and moose blood through out the fall.

Riplip

WKR
What's your thought on solo vs. approach for a day pack? Not sure if approach is big enough by itself?

The approach is probably a tad small for me as a day/hunt pack, but I pack alot of crap with me and have large cameras that I sometime carry. The solo is going to be my day pack and my sky 5100 is enroute

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for ku 3700. They come up for sale on ocassion and are worth waiting for. You will be surprised at the weight and comfort.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Sleepy Creek ~ Feel free to contact me and we can swap your belt out for a Large. I would be interested in your insight on the waist measurements as I want to provide the most accurate sizing we can. While all of the belts can go larger than the listed size range, the length of the foam inhibits going smaller than listed size, which is why we want to make sure information is accurate. Those that are right on the listed lower limit of each belt size I do suggest the smaller belt size as it does offer more adjustment down, like if you are in minimal layers under heavy load.
Best,
Kurt
[email protected]

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was just curious as I find I don't mind it at all and don't notice it. To each their own :)

Mike

I've never heard them referred as back braces but man, my back brace holds a lot more than a wet noodle. Especially when you find those matched set of sheds that you have to hump out about 5 miles.:cool: And my back brace is a wonderful rifle rest..............plus you never know what you'll run across that you may want to pack out.

Randy

DaveC

WKR
Was just curious as I find I don't mind it at all and don't notice it. To each their own :)

Mike

It's interesting getting the perspective of folks who (seemingly) only backpack for hunting or hunting-related activities. I backpack twelve months a year, and less than 10% of those nights are hunting related. I wouldn't want to do a 3 day BC ski trip with a pack designed to carry 4 times the load I'm hauling.

It's interesting getting the perspective of folks who (seemingly) only backpack for hunting or hunting-related activities. I backpack twelve months a year, and less than 10% of those nights are hunting related. I wouldn't want to do a 3 day BC ski trip with a pack designed to carry 4 times the load I'm hauling.

I also like to backpack recreationally. I used to own a granite gear blaze a.c 60. A very light backpack. I feel like my Stone glacier is more comfortable even at sub 30lbs then the GG.

Just cause it's designed to handle heavy loads doesn't mean it's any less comfortable at light loads. That's the beauty of a Kifaru and other packs mentioned here.

Mike

I have never tried a SG pack but I have used Kifaru for a good 15 years. I have purchased over 50 packs in my life and NOTHING has come close to my Kifaru's. I am curious about the new Exo Mountain packs but have always suffered disappointment except for kifaru

jns9661

FNG
anybody have a pic of the stone glacier solo compacted down to as small as it will get to the frame?

Mike, you'll have to forgive my skepticism on that.

i can see where youre coming from dave and maybe one day ill get there, i backpack quite a bit. not 12mo a year but a lot. i typically take the kifaru, even when alot of gear isnt necessary as the weight ends up heavy. (only 15lbs of gear, hell lets bring a pony keg and couple bottles of wine!) haha
if a guy truly commits to the ultralight mindset, theres no need for a heavy duty pack, but if not, its training for hunting season!

Mike, you'll have to forgive my skepticism on that.

Nothing to forgive, you feel how you feel. I just know that I would MUCH rather pack 30 lbs in my Kifaru around then 20 lbs in my old school backpack (which is comparable to the UL packs I've handled) that I used in college for going to/from campus. Weight off my shoulders and just more comfortable in every way.

Mike