Uncompahgre+Brooks vs Chamberlin

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
First trip to Colorado to hunt deer in November this year and I’m bracing for the potentially brutal cold weather in North Park. I currently have Wick crew long sleeves, kiln hoody, Klamath hoody, sawtooth jacket and a uncompaghre 2.0 puffy. I also have a North Face rain jacket to help cut wind and shed moisture. I’ve also got the uncompaghre puffy pants, grizzly mittens, merino gloves and some fleece beanies, neck gaiter, schnee pack boots and a box of chemical heat packets. I use a glassing pad to insulate my rear off the ground. No intent to backpack hunt this time of year.

All that to say, my concern is that I would not be warm enough during glassing sessions in the torso, especially if the weather decides to turn on the wind and cold. I’ve got a gift card to First Lite so I’m trying to weigh my options on insulation there. I know the Chamberlin is super warm and that is the direction I am leaning but it would probably be too warm to hike/hunt in whereas my Uncompaghre is fantastic for that but not quite enough to sit in the wind and cold for a couple hours to glass. Would a Brooks Jacket paired with the Uncompaghre 2.0 along with my sawtooth jacket and a wick base layer be enough? I’m 5’10”, 160 lb and lean. I run warm when active but lack much natural insulation. Lol. I like the idea of two puffy jackets to layer as it is more versatile based on the weather and activity. This is my first year with most of the first lite gear I mentioned and first year in the Rockies during November so I don’t have a lot to base from.

Adammn

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same FL pieces minus the brooks and sawtooth. Will the uncompahgre and brooks combined be as warm as the chamberlin? I would guess not, the chamberlin is pretty much the warmest down jacket available from a hunting company. But, will that combo be warm enough for you? Thats really hard to say and frankly, can best be answered through your own trial and error. Warmth is so subjective from person to person and ambient air temps are only one piece of the puzzle.

With that being said, your current setup seems really good with the exception of a super warm outerpeice like the chamberlin. I personally think that the uncompahgre and brooks serve similar purposes and having both would be a bit redundant. The uncompahgre seems like it would also be more durable than the brooks, but of course it comes with a weight penalty.

You mentioned wanting extra warmth while glassing but still wanting warmth for hiking. I would considered running the kiln as a base, Klamath as a mid, and sawtooth as an outer when active. Then throwing on the puffy pants and chamberlin when glassing. Since you're not backpacking, you can always bring all of your pieces and grab or ditch layers in the truck as necessary. I am also tall, skinny, and run cold while stationary. I am pretty dang warm glassing while wearing a wick, kiln, Klamath, and chamberlin with puffy pants. I hope you find a system that works.

OP
E

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response. You bring up a lot of good points and yes, warmth is so subjective. I was just hoping to get a good feel from the masses on this subject.

I did call First Lite and talked with Duke and explained my set up,upcoming hunt in November and style of hunting. He was extremely helpful. He said because I already had the 2.0, he agreed that my base layer of Wick, mid layer with light insulation in the torso of the Sawtooth jacket and pairing the Brooks with the 2.0 would be extremely versatile and would probably be warm enough for 90+% of my trip given I have puffy pants, warm gloves, neck gaiter, beanie, glassing pad, pack boots and warm packets. He did suggest bringing a spare, heavier weight base layer in the pack to swap out with once I get to my glassing point, stripping off the sweaty Wick and air drying while enjoying a dry/warmer base shirt. It’s a good idea but I’m not sure how much I want to be striping everything off to swap shirts. I was hoping that the puffys would pull moisture.

We’ll see, I might just end up getting the Chamberlin and if it is really cold while I’m actively hunting, wear the 2.0 over the Wick, Sawtooth but when I sit to glass, throw on the Chamberlin.

Adammn

Lil-Rokslider
I have talked to Duke a couple of times also and he seems like a good dude who hasn't steered me wrong. But, I agree with you about not wanting to strip everything off and replace your baselayer. That seems like a big hassle. Adding the Brooks in combination with the Uncompahgre does sound like a warm combo for cold, late season temps.

For me in warmer temps though, I would use the Brooks or Uncompahgre for the same purpose. That is why I mentioned that it seemed redundant to me. Would you plan on using the two pieces for separate purposes? Like the brooks for warmer backpack hunts and the uncompahgre for day hunts?

I second your thoughts on the uncompahgre. Its a great jacket for glassing in cool temps and lower exertion activity in more open country. But, not the best for glassing in cold temps with wind. That is why I think I will end up selling mine and just using my wick, kiln, klamath, catalyst, and chamberlin in different combos. The nice thing about Rokslide is that if you end up getting some peices that don't work well for you, its usually not too hard to sell them on here.

OP
E

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Adammn. Its a great question you ask about them serving different purposes. From talking with Duke and reading other posts on forums, I would use the Brooks for my puffy during spring, summer months recreating when its chilly in the early am/late pm and my 2.0 as a go to during September/October. Both jackets would be my go to jackets around town as well throughout the year. I've got the 2.0 in dry earth and would buy the Brooks in black. I really hope my proposed layering system keeps me comfortable when weather turns colder.

Leroy91

FNG
I am currently pondering the same thing and am leaning towards purchasing the Uncompaghre to wear on top of my OR Transcendent down jacket. Was considering going with the Chamberlin for really cold temps, but I am pretty certain I can accomplish the same thing with layering the Uncompaghre, although this setup would be a little bit heavier than just the Chamberlin, I like versatility.

I have both jackets and they aren't really meant to pair. More of a one or the other. Living/hunting in Colorado I get to often see how well my layering setups actually work. I’ve found my favorite is a Llano long sleeve with a puffy vest, then add a chama hoody and puffy. If need be I can throw a rain jacket over that, but it’s rare.

crich

WKR
I have both jackets and they aren't really meant to pair. More of a one or the other. Living/hunting in Colorado I get to often see how well my layering setups actually work. I’ve found my favorite is a Llano long sleeve with a puffy vest, then add a chama hoody and puffy. If need be I can throw a rain jacket over that, but it’s rare.
Which puffy vest do you have? I have a sawtooth vest but feel that it doesn't quite provide the warmth Im looking for on a cold hike.

what about a rei, eddie bauer or ll bean down jacket? can usually find them onsale sub 100. I don't think the uncompaghre is very warm static but I had the 1st gen. i went aerowool top, llano hoodie, sitka heavy weight hoodie, and uncompaghre vest and over that the umcompaghre jacket and thought id be warmer on a az december deer hunt that got into the teen temps. . i ditched the uncompaghre vest for an eddie bauer puffy and think that will work better.

j33

WKR
what about a rei, eddie bauer or ll bean down jacket? can usually find them onsale sub 100. I don't think the uncompaghre is very warm static but I had the 1st gen. i went aerowool top, llano hoodie, sitka heavy weight hoodie, and uncompaghre vest and over that the umcompaghre jacket and thought id be warmer on a az december deer hunt that got into the teen temps. . i ditched the uncompaghre vest for an eddie bauer puffy and think that will work better.

Amen to non hunting brands puffy’s. I Rock a few Eddie Bauer.
Had an uncompadre vest fit was terrible, short and baggy on me, got rid of it right away and bought Eddie Bauer for a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

WKR
I have both the uncompaghre puffy and vest in L and find the puffy jacket is much roomier (makes sense as the vest would be layered underneath outerwear). They say the Brooks will be tighter than the puffy as it’s meant as an insulation layer. The vest in L fits pretty perfectly. Would you say the Brooks in L could comfortably layer over the puffy vest in L or would it be too tight as they’re fitted similarly? Thanks!

The brooks is definitely more of a slimmer fit, I have both puffy jackets in a medium and my vest is a small. I’m planning on wearing my vest over the brooks, if I combine them.

Bearsears

WKR
I live in Colorado and hunted 2nd season last year with the Uncompghere. I agree it was a bit cold while sitting. Here is the route I'm going themis year for 3rd season.
Uppers
FL Wick t shirt
FL Fuse long sleeve
FL Klamath
Sitka Kelvin Active
FL Uncompghere
Sierra designs windshirt
Kuiu Yukon Rain layer

Bottoms
FL wick 150 zip offs
FL Corrugate guide pants
FL Uncompghere pants
Kenetrek gaiters

Minus 33 beanie, sealskin waterproof merino gloves and OR down mittens.

I'm sure it seems like alot of layers but I like versatility of layering rather than bigger warmer single pieces. I also tried to choose pieces tha t will move moisture fast. That why I opted for a kelvin active puffy that I can wear while actively hunting and still layer my Uncompghere over. Windshirt is super light at 6oz and is much more breathable than my rain layer for hiking. Im also packing in with a tent and wood stove so I need to be ready for any weather events.
I think the brooks and Uncompghere could be a great setup for your application. Just make sure one is sized big enough to fit over the other. If you compress down it doesn't insulate well. Sorry for the long rambling post. I geek out on this stuff. Feel free to beat up my list.