Under Armour Hiking Shoes for Elk Hunt - Talk me out of it

bobinmi

WKR
Seems to me that everyone's feet are different and your experience will dictate the right decision. I'm a light boot type of person, but I've never rolled an ankle in my life and I wore Oakley combat boots for years. Disclaimer: I don't do nearly as much mountain hunting as the rest of you, because I'm in Michigan.

At least get a waterproof version. Heavy dew will go right into those. If you are just day hunting whatever but dont even try it on a backpack hunt.

Titan_Bow

WKR
If your feet and leg muscles are accustomed to them in uneven terrain and with a load then go for it. I’ve packed out elk wearing Merrell Trail Gloves, but my feet are acclimated to that type of foot wear. Everyone is different and only you can answer what’s right for you. I’d be more worried about them falling apart LOL, I too had a pair of Under Armor boots that did not hold up well to mountain hunting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdp22

FNG
I started wearing my heavier boots while hiking in steep terrain but the weather warmed up and my feet starting sweating a little too much. Switched to my Speedcross that I had along for my camp shoes and was impressed how much easier it was hiking, my other boots were there in case of a heavy pack out. Last year hunted lower elevations and warmer temps and now wear lighter, cooler footwear in those conditions, but always have sturdy boots available. A blizzard hit half way through the hunt so was nice to have the taller, waterproof boots along.

dsayer

FNG
I switched to a trail runner last year (Altra Lone Peak 4.5) and don't plan on going back to a heavy stiff boot. Some important notes have been brought up though. Make sure you do plenty of hiking with a loaded pack on uneven terrain. I also disagree about needing a waterproof boot in early season. I'd rather have a lightweight shoe that dries drains and dries.

Marble

WKR
I loved my under armor boots. Did second season CO in them. Stayed dry and warm. Never carried a heavy load with them.

But, the first pair shrunk. Don't know why. UA covered it unaer warranty. The second pair did the same thing. I called to tell them and they said they wouldn't help me anymore. So, I don't get their boots and never recommend them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mtnlomo

FNG
One year I was trying out new boots on an early season elk hunt, honestly can't remember the brand, and after two days I had to switch to my water resistant nike running shoes (being a broke college student limited me to one pair of boots lol). My feet were much more comfortable, and the increase in stealth (i.e less foot noise) made it worth it. On early season hunts I would highly recommend a sturdy hiking or trail running shoe, maybe not a Nike Air Pegasus. I also keep my Gore-Tex Asolo or Salomon boots on hand for days with moisture. The shoes don't bother me on ruck marches when I train with a weighted pack so I would be comfortable wearing them when packing meat, but that to me is a personal choice you probably should make based on your own testing.

As stated everyone's feet are different. My feet and legs would hurt a lot with regular shoes/light hikers. Once going to a stiff sole I will never go back. I tried one time. Never again