Understanding Bino Harness - what keeps them down?

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
When I recently upgraded my binos from Eagle Optics to Vortex, I was excited to see them arrive with a bino harness - the standard, tan, Vortex harness. What I do not like, nor understand, is that the harness is free to move up the body - nothing is built in to hold it down, in place, on the chest. Maybe I'm supposed to strap it up tighter but I can't check that now, I took the straps off that harness so fast and use it just as a case now. If I recall correctly, there wasn't much to the straps that came with the harness compared to what i see in the recommended harness here.

What am I missing?

When I saw this KUIU harness, I saw a clip on the bottom and thought that's supposed to attach to your belt, but I don't think that's the case (pardon the pun) is it? (2nd photo I see two...)

ArticleImage3000w600MAR.jpg
ArticleImage2951MAR.jpg

Newton's law of universal gravitation is usually stated as that every particle attracts every other particle in the universe with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between their centers.

The weight of the binos holds them down. Or at least thats how my bino harness is held down. I haven't ever noticed it riding up my chest.

I used a simple Cabela's hybrid harness this year. It uses a combination of nylon and stretch webbing which I prefer more than the original all elastic Vortex harness I used for the previous 5 years. YMMV.

Rob5589

WKR
The weight of the bino will keep it from riding up, more often it will move down. Unless I am misunderstanding what you're saying.

Physics, agree... The weight of the Bino's holds them down as said above.

However with my post above, I am referring to the fact they don't bounce around with the solid nylon webbing for the chassis of the harness. The only stretch is when I lift the binoculars to look through them.

Gravity works for my harness, the clip on the bottom of mine is for a bow string so you can glass and not have to lay your bow down, works pretty good.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I DESERVED the gravity comments - especially the more scientific explanation from @Mountain_Life LOL.

I guess I meant when extracting the binos, you need two hands to do it and almost have to fight to get them out. A simple bino harness (without the pouch) keeps them in place and super-easy to get at and lift up - but unprotected from the elements. I guess it's a trade-off.

Mind you, I feel like the case my wife and I each have is the same while she has 8x42 and I have 10x50 Vipers HDs. I'm thinking hers are a better fit and easier to remove.

I did notice that - in someone's video on youtube - not sure of the brand - that he simply dropped his 10x or 12x into his harness and they seemed to simply fall in...

Jgriff

FNG
My experience was they were pretty tough to get out initially, but as I used it more, they became easy to use and get in and out with one hand. I still regularly use the Vortex harness that came with my binos.

I DESERVED the gravity comments - especially the more scientific explanation from @Mountain_Life LOL.

I guess I meant when extracting the binos, you need two hands to do it and almost have to fight to get them out. A simple bino harness (without the pouch) keeps them in place and super-easy to get at and lift up - but unprotected from the elements. I guess it's a trade-off.

Mind you, I feel like the case my wife and I each have is the same while she has 8x42 and I have 10x50 Vipers HDs. I'm thinking hers are a better fit and easier to remove.

I did notice that - in someone's video on youtube - not sure of the brand - that he simply dropped his 10x or 12x into his harness and they seemed to simply fall in...
That makes more sense, I was wondering what the heck you might be doing that they weren’t just hanging there. 😁 sounds like you’ll need to find a harness that fits your binos better. That’s probably why there’s so many used ones for sale, they all are going to fit a little different. My 10x42 els drop into my mystery ranch easily but it’s not so loose they flop around. Maybe Find a harness you think you want and then ask if someone is using them with you particular binos, surely someone would be and could tell you how they fit? Good luck!

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like the 50mm objective is causing more resistance when you pull them out. The vortex harness you have is a "universal" one, go for a different brand and get one that is made to fit the 50mm objective and yours will fit better.

Ah. I understand you now. Tighter fitting binos hanging up on the case which cause it to lift is a common problem. You need to find a larger or possibly more rigid case for your binos. You'll find multiple threads on here where sizing of certain brand harnesses are discussed.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Kuiu off Facebook Marketplace for 60. I'll try it out. Seller indicated it was a "first generation" pack with the rain cover. I couldn't find any info on Gen 1 so I went ahead and tried it anyway.