Unicorn Tacoma- toyota pros

amassi

WKR
Helping family member move and their neighbor has a 2002 Tacoma crew cab 4x4
84,000 miles
Service records every 3500 miles.
I couldn’t find a scratch or dent, garage kept and it shows.
I’m going to buy for a hunting rig that’s easier on narrow roads than my king bed F150

Despite all the positives I’m knowledge poor on toyota, is there anything I should look for or have a mechanic check over.

CorbLand

WKR
If its a v6, it has a timing belt. I would see if that has been replaced. If not, plan to have that done at 100K.

Last edited:
I'd mostly be worried about plastic/rubber stuff.

Belts, hoses, to a lesser extent seals and wiring connections.

Time is hard on them, regardless of usage.

Check and see if it falls under the frame recall. Other than that, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I just sold my beloved '09 single cab this past weekend. Growing family needs more space....sticking with a Tacoma but upgrading to an access cab next. Love them!

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
My brother had a 2001. Solid pickup, gutless little thing but it would go pretty much anywhere, just not fast.

The engine leaves some to be desired for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
Any review of copper discover trek all terrains? They’re basically new look beefy.

Eagle

WKR
As already mentioned, check on the frame recall, and get underneath it and see how the frame looks. I'd be AMAZED if it's not rusted all to hell, regardless of whether it was garage kept or not, unless it's spent life in the desert SW. Some trucks had a goopy material applied to the frames by toyota to mitigate the rust issue, it didn't really work, so look for that as well.

X1000 on changing the ball joints even if they appear to be fine. That gen Taco is infamous for catastrophic, unexpected ball joint failure that will result in the truck parting ways with the steering knuckle and tire at the worst possible moment.

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
As already mentioned, check on the frame recall, and get underneath it and see how the frame looks. I'd be AMAZED if it's not rusted all to hell, regardless of whether it was garage kept or not, unless it's spent life in the desert SW. Some trucks had a goopy material applied to the frames by toyota to mitigate the rust issue, it didn't really work, so look for that as well.

It’s a ca truck. Snowbirds in Palm Springs in the winter, very dry not cal in summer. No salt on roads. I crawled all around and frame looks great

Nice find!, Other than power (or lack thereof) you'll enjoy it. Taco's make nice little woods trucks.

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
Yes trd package

Gutshotem

WKR
Wash/rinse that frame up really good and keep it clean. Fluid film at least once a year.

I have the exact same truck. Picked it up in '13 with 52k on it. Now has 136k on it. Great truck. Would not hesitate to take it anywhere. Sure, everything made more recent has more power, but I didn't buy it for that. It gets me where I need to go. I've never had the ball joint issue, however, I did just have to redo the rack and pinion. Mostly because I have been hard on it and have pretty much beat the hell out of it over the last 10 years hunting. Other than minor annoying things hear and there given it's a 20 year old truck, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. I just put my second set of Cooper ST Maxx on mine. Only replaced due to age, not tread wear.