Unicorn Tacoma- toyota pros

So much cheaper and more convenient to just replace the ball joints before the wheel falls off the truck going down the hiway.
I agree, super easy to DIY and save money too. I've seen those BJ's fail at 70 MPH, crushing the fender and door to the point that the door wouldn't function. Not to mention the potential for a serious accident, BJ's are way cheaper than a body shop, all new steering components, CV shaft or a one way trip to the morgue.

kickemall

WKR
I had the same truck, 4 cyl. manuel trans. Great truck and plenty of power for hunting and running around. As said above, ball joints are a weak spot and if they break while driving it can be catastrophic. Get it before someone else does.

I did mine at 150k and while they were fine, The piece of mind is worth it
They typically look fine with zero slop/play ect. They're fine until they break. Swapping em out is cheap insurance in my opinion, BJ's are one of the few real problems on these trucks and failure comes out of nowhere.

highcj5

Lil-Rokslider
Change the lower ball joints. Change the oil. Then drive the piss out of it. That has the 3.4 in it. That’s a good motor. Enjoy it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a pile of junk, pm me with details and I’ll take it for salvaging 😎

Tbeavers

FNG
You definitely won’t regret it, I have a 02 double cab solid axle swapped on 37s and It’s a daily driver, hunting rig for me, with 260k miles

cjdewese

WKR
Given the insane market for Tacomas in CA an embarrassing low amount. It would be an easy flip but I’ve been really looking for a small hunting rig and this just dropped into my lap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats perfect then. Enjoy it for another 250k.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Bad idea. Don't buy it, you will regret it!. ON a completely unrelated matter, can you pm me their phone number?

100% on the timing belt replacement. If it hasn't been done, add $1500.00 or so into your calculations. I believe for those years, IF the timing belt goes, engine is toast so its not something you want to wait and see what happens .

CorbLand

WKR
Bad idea. Don't buy it, you will regret it!. ON a completely unrelated matter, can you pm me their phone number?

100% on the timing belt replacement. If it hasn't been done, add $1500.00 or so into your calculations. I believe for those years, IF the timing belt goes, engine is toast so its not something you want to wait and see what happens .
It is an interference engine. If the timing belt goes the pistons meet the valves.

If it’s bad enough, your hood could end up with some extra ventilation holes.

Mpmoody15

FNG
I hope you bought it by now. I got rid of an '04 five years ago because it needed some maintenance and I was too impatient to fix it myself. I sold mine with 150k miles for $5k to a buddy's brother. I bought a Gen 3 Tacoma that turned out to be straight garbage. My buddy's brother put money back into the Gen 1, put 90K more miles on it, and just sold it for $15k. I kick myself for getting rid of it.

That's awesome it just landed in your lap and they're going to sell it to you for a decent price! Great find. Pics or didn't happen haha

I'll echo several others and say go ahead and get the timing belt/water pump done and flush the radiator. I'd go ahead and change all the fluids as well(trans, diff,etc) if that hasn't been done.

Also might want to pickup a rear diff breather hose if it's going to be your hunting rig and you might get into some water.

As far as those coopers go, truck in the plant has them and they seem to be good tires but the truck doesn't see much over 50mph ever.