Unimaginable 120 yard shot on bull

Marble

WKR
Valid Point indeed…..But I’ve seen rigor set in on bulls farely quickly after death with no meat loss.
Generally as fast 6 hours, onset starts at 2 hours and as slow as 12 for full rigor. Then after 24ish it begons to go away. With it mostly gone within 48 hours.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

And I’ve done the same. Also hunted pronghorn in overgrazed pastures that are practically dirt in New Mexico. I’ve taken 10+ animals at over 70 yds with a bow with none wounded. Also taken countless inside of 30yds. If you know your gear and are proficient with it, you can safely kill and animal with a bow at long ranges. At 100yds my arrow is flying at 272fps and hitting with over 70ft/lbs of memetic energy.

People say the same thing about shooting animals at 1000+ yds with a rifle. Just because the everyone can’t do it, doesn’t mean it can’t be done.
"memetic energy" haha. So true.

Seeknelk

WKR
it's not a question of whether it can or can't be done. It's is it ethical. There are variables outside of your control, regardless of how dialed you are. I shot a mule deer a couple weeks ago at 60, I'm not opposed to longer shots. It's just not ideal and I try and get closer. I too regularly practice well past 100 and can hit a paper plate nearly 100% of the time in perfect conditions. A slight breeze makes a big difference at 100 though. Even on elk-sized game your impact can shift 6-8".

Can you show your math for your speed claims at 100 yards? Not many hunters I know in the west are shooting an arrow over 300fps. I'm assuming you're also shooting mechanicals? From my own experiments my arrow loses about 5fps consistently every 10 yards. I'm shooting a 452grain arrow out of a 70lb Ventum pro 33 at 29".
Someone can always out-ethics the shit out of the next guy. This discussion goes nowhere but circles until combustion. Ethics are entirely YOURS AND YOURS ALONE! The end.
Heck of a shot he MADE there!

I cannot imagine taking this shot but I guess those who do have the well-practiced skill and confidence to pull it off. It's just an amazing thing. The arc on that arrow...holy FN cow! Start at the 22 minute mark.

His wolf video is the craziest to me… looks about 150 yds, wolf walking pretty quick, and he pinwheels it… people can say what they want about Wells, but his killer instinct with a bow is nothing short of incredible… I think a lot of the hate stems from people comparing Wells to themselves, which doesn’t really matter in the context, he is wired different than most.

His wing shooting is crazy too

There is no bravado. I took no hardline stance saying everyone should shoot at long range. I said it can be done, which there is a lot of evidence to prove so. I also wasn’t the one throwing out insinuation that I was shooting a mechanical like it’s an insult.

I personally think it’s unethical for people to buy a bow off rack and shoot arrows out of box from same ones. The same people who don’t do any tuning.

I also think it’s unethical for a person to launch an arrow when they have buck fever and are shaking before the shot. I’ve seen more wounded animals inside of 30yds from people unable to control emotions.

Ethical hunts are subjective. Is it more ethical to put a 338RUM into shoulder of an elk than a .308? Is it more ethical to shoot an animal with a rifle than a bow? Is it more ethical to kill an animal at 40yds with a compound over a traditional bow at 20yds?

Each one or those represents a greater likelihood of a dead animal than before, but no one thinks any of those are any less ethical.
I agree (and I probably will never shoot another animal past 50yds with a bow) but every region is different, every person is different, everyone’s skill level is different, and all of our personal ethics are different… I try to stay in my lane and not worry about what others do unless it has a negative effect (not a hypothetical negative effect)

There are people out in the woods who have no business shooting at an animal at 25yds, and others that shoot well at long range and well under pressure… no one size argument here

I also don’t floor it on passing lanes just to make sure I stay ahead of everyone so I can dictate their speed, haha

Randy Ulmer wont take shots at animals beyond 60 yards. That tells me I probably cant justify more than 3 pins on my hunting bow until i get a lot better.

I agree with you. But would you say the same for a 1000yd rifle shot or 300yd muzzleloader?

Nothing is jumping the string on a muzzleloader or rifle.

1000 yard rifle shot in almost all actual hunting conditions is pushing it IMO even with an elite shooter.

I'll take the odds on the right modern muzzle loader with proven load, shooter, and scope @300 yards over Levi Morgan shooting his compound @ 80 yards on most big game.

Love it when guys want to impose their ethics and lack of ability on others. I think we all hunt with a bow because we want to be close.......

KurtR

WKR
Tim wells shoots birds out of the sky with his bow better than most do with a shot gun. For the average guy probably shouldn’t for Tim wells the proof is in the bodies he stacks

Hnthrdr

WKR
Agreed, I’d put this in the category of guys shooting over 600 plus yards with a rifle I know a lot of guys that can… but it gets to a point that it’s ridiculous. I know I shouldn’t be divisive in the hunting community but 900/1000 yard rifle shots or 100 yard bow shots are really questionable

Hnthrdr

WKR
Tim wells shoots birds out of the sky with his bow better than most do with a shot gun. For the average guy probably shouldn’t for Tim wells the proof is in the bodies he stacks
Well you see the birds that he hits, they don’t have a video editor on his show because he never misses. He is a great shot, but if you are a person in a position of influence should you be putting stuff like this out there?

Bighorner

WKR
Furthest bull I’ve taken with bow was at 95 yds. Furthest animal taken was a pronghorn at 105. Regularly practice out to 125 yds. Todays technology and sliding pins open up a whole new world of possibilities. Just need a well tuned bow and know your gear.

Personally I have no problem with a guy shooting to his comfort, but I also think those stats should get backed up with #s like animals killed, animals not recovered, and misses.

That paints a little more of a clear picture than just max yardage. I think it's a fair ask.

Sadler

WKR
He’s a different kind of human. His archery skills are damn impressive.

KurtR

WKR
Well you see the birds that he hits, they don’t have a video editor on his show because he never misses. He is a great shot, but if you are a person in a position of influence should you be putting stuff like this out there?
If people think they can do something just because they watch it and don’t know there own skill set you can’t fix stupid.

MattB

WKR
Furthest bull I’ve taken with bow was at 95 yds. Furthest animal taken was a pronghorn at 105. Regularly practice out to 125 yds. Todays technology and sliding pins open up a whole new world of possibilities. Just need a well tuned bow and know your gear.
Add to that the ability to freeze an animal in its tracks.

How many have you missed or wounded at those ranges?

Tx270WT

FNG
Literally eating popcorn and reading this… good entertainment over all. Does make you wonder how far we are from the day when archery season gets split in half with traditional vs compound. Right or wrong you can’t ignore how tech has revolutionized what’s able In the compound arena.

3forks

WKR
If people think they can do something just because they watch it and don’t know there own skill set you can’t fix stupid.
Hate to break it to you, but probably 85% of the non-western guys coming on this site have been inspired by what they’ve seen on tv and from Instagram and been told that even though they’re novices - they can do it, too.

Bighorner

WKR
Hate to break it to you, but probably 85% of the non-western guys coming on this site have been inspired by what they’ve seen on tv and from Instagram and been told that even though they’re novices - they can do it, too.

Half the western guys are "late onset elk hunters" and every bit as bad. And there are alot of them.

KurtR

WKR
Maybe the western guys should watch more seems a few like to shoot mule deer in the head.