Unique Caliber...just one more gun honey...

Which one?

• 7mm 08 AI

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • .280 AI

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • .284 Win.

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

MattB

WKR
Theres an old saying, "Beware of the man with one gun"

Just kidding...do what makes sense to you......

That sort of applies to Kota, you hang out with him for any amount of time and he will talk you into one (more) gun.

treillw

WKR
I actually have a couple of AR’s by DTECH! I love my AR’s but not for mountain hunting.

Awesome. I would be curious to hear your thoughts on them if you get some time. Maybe add it into my post for the benefits of others.....

Thanks!

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Whitegirlproblems? So thats what they call it? I’ll add my 2 cents and take it for what it’s worth. I‘ve been a ballistics/rifle nut for the last 4+ decades and have built, fired and burned out more barrels than I care to remember(I’m sure I’m into the triple digits). Everything from .17/204 thru 375 AI to 50BMG in bolt guns, with many wildcats including many of my own design. I have several regular 7mm-08’s but have never messed with the 7-08 AI and am sure it would be a fine short action caliber; the standard 7-08 certainly is. I would assume ballistics would be very close to a standard 280 Rem but with a few ounce weight savings of the short action so could see it’s benefits. I recently have worked on a few 280AI’s and really love this caliber. One in a Kimber Mountain Ascent and another Bergara; at my age I don’t have the patience to wait a year for my “Smith” to do the barrel work, although my 2 sheep hunts are still 2 years away so there is time. I still use my Oehler 33 that I bought back in the early 80’s to work up my load data and I was amazed that I was getting full 7 Rem Mag ballistics out of the Bergara with RL26 and was only slightly behind my custom 7STW, but burning a lot less powder with less muzzle blast and recoil. But you said you have had several 280AI’s so you know what the caliber is capable of. I personally think there isn’t a better mountain rifle caliber out there with ballistics of the 280AI. By the way, a few months back I was actually able to hold in my hands one of the new Weatherby Back Country Ti’s in 6.5 RPM. It was at my smith’s shop for a photo shoot for an up coming magazine article. That was one “stupid lightweight” rifle and may have to order one when they are finally available. It certainly peaked my interest and gives me an excuse to buy another set of Redding Dies. Although I wasn’t sure about that new recoil pad since it seemed as hard as a brick. I also see you had a Banser built rifle; his rough blanks were my go to for builds back in my early build days and I see he is back producing again. My standard 280 Rem is built on one.

Last edited:
OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Whitegirlproblems? So thats what they call it? I’ll add my 2 cents and take it for what it’s worth. I‘ve been a ballistics/rifle nut for the last 4+ decades and have built, fired and burned out more barrels than I care to remember(I’m sure I’m into the triple digits). Everything from .17/204 thru 375 AI to 50BMG in bolt guns, with many wildcats including many of my own design. I have several regular 7mm-08’s but have never messed with the 7-08 AI and am sure it would be a fine short action caliber; the standard 7-08 certainly is. I would assume ballistics would be very close to a standard 280 Rem but with a few once weight savings of the short action so could see it’s benefits. I recently have worked on a few 280AI’s and really love this caliber. One in a Kimber Mountain Ascent and another Bergara; at my age I don’t have the patience to wait a year for my “Smith” to do the barrel work, although my 2 sheep hunts are still 2 years away so there is time. I still use my Oehler 33 that I bought back in the early 80’s to work up my load data and I was amazed that I was getting full 7 Rem Mag ballistics out of the Bergara with RL26 and was only slightly behind my custom 7STW, but burning a lot less powder with less muzzle blast and recoil. But you said you have had several 280AI’s so you know what the caliber is capable of. I personally think there isn’t a better mountain rifle caliber out there with ballistics of the 280AI. By the way, a few months back I was actually able to hold in my hands one of the new Weatherby Back Country Ti’s in 6.5 RPM. It was at my smith’s shop for a photo shoot for an up coming magazine article. That was one “stupid lightweight” rifle and may have to order one when they are finally available. It certainly peaked my interest. Although I wasn’t sure about that new recoil pad since it seemed as hard as a brick. I also see you had a Banser built rifle; his rough blanks were my go to for builds back in my early build days and I see he is back producing again. My standard 280 Rem is built on one.

Thanks for the info. Good stuff... I really wish I had that Weatherby in my hands right now. I ordered pretty much the day they became available, so I’m hoping mine will show up sooner than later.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. Good stuff... I really wish I had that Weatherby in my hands right now. I ordered pretty much the day they became available, so I’m hoping mine will show up sooner than later.
As I was writing my reply I realized I should have inquired about that Weatherby Back Country (although I am sure it has been returned by now). Many times they offer the guns in for review to the shop for purchase instead of sending it back since it has already been transferred on a 4473. I may have been able to actually own one by now! Good luck with yours....would like to know what you think of it when it arrives

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
I'd get a 25-06, which will be my next rifle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You are missing a classic caliber gun... 30-30, 300 savage, 32 special? How about a 250-3000 to cover your quarter bore? 45-70?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
NULA 284 if you want the best. I have no issues with brass...it takes longer to type this than to resize 6.5-284 Lapua & Winchester makes fairly regular runs of 284 brass. Just got my matching 6.5-284 so now have both choices...waiting on a new scope & dies to start load development. 284 is a fun caliber to play with.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
When I was shooting my 284 5+ years ago, finding brass was impossible. Winchester told me personally via phone they were done making 284 brass. So I read your post and thought I'd check for myself. First search, bam, bunch of it at Grafs, including Win head stamp. Still like the 7/08 but the choice has become more interesting now.

I think you need a wildcat and a short action.
The 7mm-08 ai would do it, but have you looked at the Sherman shorts? A 7ss would be great. If less recoil is better maybe a 6.5 SS or even the 6.5 Or 6 SST

Last edited:

Mace man

FNG
I'm working on a 7-08AI for my son. I would have done the 280AI but i already have a 280win. Slowly gathering parts for a 7LRM.

Rrobason

Lil-Rokslider
I love my .280AI ... it is a cooper M52 Jackson hunter... 24” pipe... I am able to get right at 7mm rem mag velocity out of it with hardly any kick and it shoots lights out... currently one of my favorites in the safe!

Pick a bullet first that you want to use and then decide. Do you reload? 7 Sherman Max is pretty sweet looking and would launch the 180's nicely. Standard 7SAUM using ADG brass and 180's would be nice as well. I'd get a 458 Lott though if I were you shooting some 500 grain Barnes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Pick a bullet first that you want to use and then decide. Do you reload? 7 Sherman Max is pretty sweet looking and would launch the 180's nicely. Standard 7SAUM using ADG brass and 180's would be nice as well. I'd get a 458 Lott though if I were you shooting some 500 grain Barnes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes, I reload. In a light 7, I’m looking at the Barnes 139 or 145 LRX.