Unit 16a New Mexico archery tag!?!?!

Got archery tag for 16a NM this fall. So excited. Just wondering a few things (more to put my wife at ease). I have a guide for two days and the rest on my own. I’ve hunted for the last 20+ years so not new to it just new to the state/area.

Anyone know roughly How far Silver city is? I see that’s it’s the nearest larger city if anything is needed or if family come with they can have other things to do.

Also how is cell service in the unit?

Trying to decide between hauling my camper or just tent camping, suggestions?
Any other advice?
Thanks!

BBob

WKR
Has nearly nothing in it.
Ice cream and burritos at the Black Gold general store, what more could you want? ;)

2 hours Reserve to SC. 1hr Glenwood to SC. Gas in Glenwood and Reserve. You’ll want to stay mobile in that unit. Waste of time driving back and forth to a camper or even a base camp everyday IMO. If you do bring it I’d be open to moving it at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:

Brooks

WKR
If it was me I would take the camper. Some years no rain and sunny skies and mid 70’s other years it can be big thunderstorms on and off for a week or more. Be nice to get back to a dry bed if it’s pouring rain on and off all week. A few years ago I had my camper and I met 4 guys from California that were hunting out of tents and it rained all week. They didn’t have anywhere to cook or sit around without getting wet. Good luck on your hunt.

Scoot

WKR
Where are you coming from? With $5/gallon gas I'd be hesitant to pull the camper... If it's not that far, no biggie. If you're coming from the east coast, different deal in terms of how much it'll cost you to pull the camper. If it were me, I'd just tent it. But... that's my general preference anyway. If you're truck camping you can have a lot of creature comforts in and around a tent. Brooks is definitely right though and if it rains a ton camping can be a bit of a grind.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
congrats, that is a great tag draw...elk nirvana.

Bring along an InReach device for emerg, regular communitcations. Cannot rely on cell only in those areas.
Unless family enjoys staying, hanging out at campsite, not much to do in the area without a long drive. Be prepared for weather variations.

I relied on my 10x10 Kodiak canvas tent w/front awning set up. Lots of room being I was solo. Note: there are restrictions & limitations about WHERE you can camp in NM.
Camp setup did not let me down and comfortable in all weather. Had propane heater and even a lithium battery fan to move the air inside tent. Fan was great inside tent during hot temps to keep some airflow moving.

Got archery tag for 16a NM this fall. So excited. Just wondering a few things (more to put my wife at ease). I have a guide for two days and the rest on my own. I’ve hunted for the last 20+ years so not new to it just new to the state/area.

Anyone know roughly How far Silver city is? I see that’s it’s the nearest larger city if anything is needed or if family come with they can have other things to do.

Also how is cell service in the unit?

Trying to decide between hauling my camper or just tent camping, suggestions?
Any other advice?
Thanks!

Which season did you draw? I have a second season tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
congrats, that is a great tag draw...elk nirvana.

Bring along an InReach device for emerg, regular communitcations. Cannot rely on cell only in those areas.
Unless family enjoys staying, hanging out at campsite, not much to do in the area without a long drive. Be prepared for weather variations.

I relied on my 10x10 Kodiak canvas tent w/front awning set up. Lots of room being I was solo. Note: there are restrictions & limitations about WHERE you can camp in NM.
Camp setup did not let me down and comfortable in all weather. Had propane heater and even a lithium battery fan to move the air inside tent. Fan was great inside tent during hot temps to keep some airflow moving.
Thanks for your response! Is any of it difficult hiking? Trying to decide if it will be easy enough for my dad to come. He’s not a big hiker if it’s lots of up hill/rugged terrain.
Also do you find a side by side necessary or does truck get you everywhere you would need to go?

OP
E
Where are you coming from? With $5/gallon gas I'd be hesitant to pull the camper... If it's not that far, no biggie. If you're coming from the east coast, different deal in terms of how much it'll cost you to pull the camper. If it were me, I'd just tent it. But... that's my general preference anyway. If you're truck camping you can have a lot of creature comforts in and around a tent. Brooks is definitely right though and if it rains a ton camping can be a bit of a grind.
Thanks for your response! Is any of it difficult hiking? Trying to decide if it will be easy enough for my dad to come. He’s not a big hiker if it’s lots of up hill/rugged terrain.
Also do you find a side by side necessary or does truck get you everywhere you would need to go?

BBob

WKR
There's both easy and hard terrain in there. Elk could be in almost any of it, depends. You didn't answer as to what hunt you have. Might make a difference on how you might hunt it.

OP
E
There's both easy and hard terrain in there. Elk could be in almost any of it, depends. You didn't answer as to what hunt you have. Might make a difference on how you might hunt it.
Thanks. Archery

Scoot

WKR
Yep what he said! Both easy and rugged. A side-by-side is helpful in some areas but definitely is not necessary.

ShakeDown

WKR
Elk across the entire unit, don‘t get too hung up on areas. Be mobile. Lots of 280-310ish bulls.

Plenty of trailer spots off the Bursum (159) or Reserve Beaverhead. Road is decent as the fire team operates out of Negrito. Some large potholes out of Reserve on the pavement so drive slowly if towing. These roads bisect entire unit and we generally set up a big base camp along one of them and run satellite camps if we get into elk too far away.

Silver City would be too far of a hIke. Easier to access Reserve or Glenwood as mentioned For necessities or fuel/ice.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. I won’t give areas but happy to answer specific questions you have. I grew up in Silver.

Missed If you’re 1st or 2nd. That would change my strategy some as well depending on monsoons. I won’t be in the unit this year unless we finish early and I head over to help, but it’s possible I’ll be there during 2nd.

Congrats on a great tag and goodluck.

AT&T has cell service there. Not Verizon. 1 gas station, 1 local bar, 1 restaurant with limited hours. Very limited hours, even during hunting season. Be prepared.
Lots of dope & meth heads. Nothing else to do in Reserve.

Gila

WKR
I hang in-reach mini from the roof of the side by and text with my cellphone. I pack in everything, fuel, ice and food for the hunt. No reason to stop in Reserve for anything. Once i go into the unit I am in there until the hunt is over. Plenty of places to stop off of the road and drop off an RV or setup tents.

okcrew

FNG
I would take utv much quicker to get around. Hunted first season 2020. Feel free to PM questions

OP
E
Elk across the entire unit, don‘t get too hung up on areas. Be mobile. Lots of 280-310ish bulls.

Plenty of trailer spots off the Bursum (159) or Reserve Beaverhead. Road is decent as the fire team operates out of Negrito. Some large potholes out of Reserve on the pavement so drive slowly if towing. These roads bisect entire unit and we generally set up a big base camp along one of them and run satellite camps if we get into elk too far away.

Silver City would be too far of a hIke. Easier to access Reserve or Glenwood as mentioned For necessities or fuel/ice.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. I won’t give areas but happy to answer specific questions you have. I grew up in Silver.

Missed If you’re 1st or 2nd. That would change my strategy some as well depending on monsoons. I won’t be in the unit this year unless we finish early and I head over to help, but it’s possible I’ll be there during 2nd.

Congrats on a great tag and goodluck.
Thanks for your response. 2nd season archery is my tag. Hopefully not too wet during then.
Would you recommend a side by side or can I get every where in my truck?
I planned on doing a toy hauler but gas prices are a lot right now and I’m out of state.
Just got a ZOLEO hoping that helps boosts some cell service to check in with family.

Hear there’s lots of bears. Think tags fill up pretty good? Wondering if I should get a tag since I’m there.
If I bring camper are there only certain spots I can set up? Rules?
In Colorado we have a lot of mountain lions and rattle snakes. Anything like that around there I need to be cautious of?
Any other safety tips? My wife is nervous about me going so as much as I can reassure her will be great.