Unit 16a NM Outfitter recomendation

OP
S

stxhunter

FNG
Talked with Frontier Outfitters and G3 today, both sounded pretty good. Will add hunt hard to the list.

Talked with Frontier Outfitters and G3 today, both sounded pretty good. Will add hunt hard to the list.
I would give Chris at Compass West a call. They kill a ton of big bulls every year, and they guide in 16A along with a bunch of other units. I have put in through him for the last couple of years but haven’t drawn anything yet. Check out his Instagram page as well

Mojave

WKR
if you have any idea how to hunt elk...... you sure as HELL don't need an outfitter to hunt 16a!!!
It's just bad advice.

Tag is too valuable for someone to not invest either the time or money.

Saying that it is important to have the right outfitter.

OP
S

stxhunter

FNG
Spoke with Gila and Apache today and Dave Mathew’s yesterday. Still have a couple more to go through.

WRO

WKR
if you have any idea how to hunt elk...... you sure as HELL don't need an outfitter to hunt 16a!!!

I’ve killed a pile of elk, I’d still hire an outfitter for a great tag. I’ve done this long enough that I’m not going to bumble through trying to figure out how the roads, drainages, etc work on limited time in a place that I probably won’t get to hunt again.

Gapmaster

WKR
There you go again. 1st time applicant draws a 16a tag. I have heard about that soooo many times, including myself. You'll never draw another 16a tag ever again, so hire a guide. Game & Fish suck you in to get the licensing fee every year.
You aren’t far off…. Drew it two years in a row ‘00 & ‘01. Struck out ever since. Of course the word got out and now every guy with a bow thinks he can elk hunt. Odds are horrendous now.

OP
S

stxhunter

FNG
You aren’t far off…. Drew it two years in a row ‘00 & ‘01. Struck out ever since. Of course the word got out and now every guy with a bow thinks he can elk hunt. Odds are horrendous now.
They’re not that bad … out of state gets a whopping 15 tags for this hunt out of 1500+ applicants, LOL!