Unit 7 Wyoming 2020 elk hunt info

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I live across the state lines from WY in SD and it takes forever to draw an elk tag in SD. I want to hunt elk as often as possible, but I am not a high roller so guided hunts, outfitters, and private ranches are out of my price range. I have been looking at the WY game and fish website to try and figure out what I need to do to be able to hunt elk, even a cow would be fine. It looks like unit 7 has the most out of state tags available. Does anyone know anything about unit 7 and what could be expected there? Private vs public land? Is there a rule against out of state hunter on National Forest land? Where should I go to get more info on that area etc...?
Thanks In advance

Timeee123

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 7 has a lot of private land vs other parts of the state. Also hard to draw. I grew up in wheatland and had a bull and cow tag every year. I went into the military and it changed. I dont know what happened but it turned into a trophy area. Dad as a resident I believe draws every 6 or 7 years me as a non resident still hasn't. Goid luck but you wont draw a tag for area 7 next year . If you want s guaranteed hunt I would look other areas. Even into idaho, Montana or Colorado.

cnelk

WKR
There are better areas to hunt cows each year as a NonRes. Do some digging around on the Wyo Draw Odds site and you'll find something. ;)

• Banned
OP
Timnterra

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. The reason I thought 7 would be a good unit to try for a cow, was in the draw statistics there were 46 out of state cow tags available and not a single person listed that as a first choice. I figured if I put in for the cow tag as a first Choice it would be almost guaranteed? Maybe I don’t understand how the draw works.

Timeee123

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. The reason I thought 7 would be a good unit to try for a cow, was in the draw statistics there were 46 out of state cow tags available and not a single person listed that as a first choice. I figured if I put in for the cow tag as a first Choice it would be almost guaranteed? Maybe I don’t understand how the draw works.
That's because out of staters want a bull . It's a trophy area so they pay to get on somewhere. For most it's to much money and effort for a cow. If you did draw a cow you do have some areas around sugarloaf, Laramie peak and eagle peak. But imo the good hunting is on private. Not sure it's good success on public. But there is pretty much. 100 percent general area for nonresidents

• Banned
OP
Timnterra

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. I did read a little more of what the WY game and fish website has t say about unit 7 and it seems like any public land there is basically going to be vacant after the first day of ride season.

wapitibob

WKR
By the time cows are down low in 7 the snow has most people locked out of the area. It's the one hunt area with constant "where do I go to shoot a cow" on the hunting wyoming facechat page.