Unlimited cow elk, SE WY

Actually... Having read the article, this is better than I thought. They're trying to keep it from becoming a cash cow for ranchers by prohibiting resale, but allowing gifting of tags. And making it cow only will reduce the temptation for shenanigans as well.

OP
eldeuce

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
IF WHAT THEY SAY IS TRUE, I'm kinda surprised at the population density/disparity.
Western WY/CO elk and deer populations were decimated to some extent by the rough winter last year.
But in the East, there are so many elk that at least some want an "open season"... ??!!

Jaquomo

WKR
Actually... Having read the article, this is better than I thought. They're trying to keep it from becoming a cash cow for ranchers by prohibiting resale, but allowing gifting of tags. And making it cow only will reduce the temptation for shenanigans as well.
Noble, and unrealistic. CO gives out thousands of private land vouchers. By law it is illegal to broker them through a third party, and also requires permission to hunt the land for which it was issued. My Democratic State Senator who co-sponsored the bill to increase vouchers (taking them out of the general pool) told me there was no evidence of brokering of vouchers. I sent her a dozen links to websites. No response.

The only voucher I ever obtained came with the caveat that I couldn't hunt his ranch (vouchers are unit wide). It was a wink-wink agreement, because it says right on the voucher that I would have permission. But I agreed because it was my only opportunity to hunt my area of 30 years when I didn't draw.

Ranchers will get around it, and F&G will look the other way. They will sell them as part of the fee to hunt cow elk.

Jaquomo

WKR
IF WHAT THEY SAY IS TRUE, I'm kinda surprised at the population density/disparity.
Western WY/CO elk and deer populations were decimated to some extent by the rough winter last year.
But in the East, there are so many elk that at least some want an "open season"... ??!!
They live on the giant ranches, which have become sanctuaries. Same deal in northern CO. Huge herds of hundreds and hundreds of animals. Big $ to hunt, even cows. Ranchers complain and get game damage payments. The herds continue to grow, and the cycle continues.

fmyth

WKR
What would stop a rancher gifting the tag but charging a 2k trespass fee?

wytx

WKR
Yep, elk by the thousands around this area. Little to no access unless you know someone.
Elk herd up when season opens, well pretty soon in Oct, then travel in huge herds to areas they aren't hunted or were not hunted until recent years.
Ranchers started this problem, some of them anyway, by wanting trophy bulls so they limited access and provided sanctuaries for elk in season. El learned fast and now they go back to those areas on specific ranches. Still little access but thousands of elk.
I will say once they herd up they do tremendous damage to fences. A couple of shots into the herd and off they go right through whatever fence is there.

Says they would not be able to sell the tags but transfer them, well can they transfer to an outfitted client that pays the outfitter for guide services? Wonder who the outfitter pays for access?

I've hunted this area for about 35 years now, access is still hard to get for cow elk and we have some. Elk are not a given by any means either.

Not in favor of this at all and will be contacting our representatives in the state.

wapitibob

WKR
Even if this passes, there is ZERO chance these ranchers are going to give away Elk licenses to joe blow so he can come hunt on their ranch; they could charge $2500 now and they don't do it.

Weldor

WKR
You can gloss over New Mexico landowner tags and see some big pricing for tags. They don't have a population issue.

TaperPin

WKR
Follow the money. Elk eat money. Hunters pay money. Politicians do what they do for money.

Anyone who says there’s money left on the table out of the goodness of their heart, doesn’t realize how hard people scrape for it & love it.

geterdone

FNG
I'm sure they will find a way to make money off it. Lease the land to an outfitter for a large sum of money and "give" them the tag.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
This permit is thrown out there as an alternative to the "helicopter hunt and let them rot" proposal earlier in the year

LostArra

WKR
The "elk problem" for ranchers reminds me of the "hog problem" in Texas and Oklahoma (and elsewhere).Ranchers want the problem solved by getting paid.

When a rancher leases to an outfitter at least the elk are getting hunted. Some ranchers have zero hunting and the elk really stack up. (Kanye West)

go_deep

WKR
Wyoming Game and Fish will happily pay them to put their land in an HMA or WIHA and manage the hunters. Many ranches do this with the exceptions of after bull season and for cows only.

I don’t know the extent of damage in these areas nor do I know any of the landowners in these areas. I will also agree that landowners abuse the system to make money off of these types of permits. However until you have large numbers of elk on your property causing massive amounts of damage and harming your livelihood, you have no right to call this a money grab by greedy landowners.

Pro953

WKR
I don’t know the extent of damage in these areas nor do I know any of the landowners in these areas. I will also agree that landowners abuse the system to make money off of these types of permits. However until you have large numbers of elk on your property causing massive amounts of damage and harming your livelihood, you have no right to call this a money grab by greedy landowners.

I think the issue being pointed out is, that the landowners have a large range of options to address the elk damage, but they do not like any of them so they are basically complaining, but not willing to accept any viable solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the issue being pointed out is, that the landowners have a large range of options to address the elk damage, but they do not like any of them so they are basically complaining, but not willing to accept any viable solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t disagree with you, however there really isn’t a great solution currently and none of them really solve the problem.