Unlimited cow elk, SE WY

Post 17. Get paid, the cow elk get killed, and the G&F manages the hunters.
I’m unfamiliar with these programs as I don’t live in Wyoming, however generally speaking many landowners are hesitant to allow access to people when they don’t have control over who those people are. For both liability reasons and due to the general public not being very respectful to others property.

wapitibob

WKR
I’m unfamiliar with these programs as I don’t live in Wyoming, however generally speaking many landowners are hesitant to allow access to people when they don’t have control over who those people are. For both liability reasons and due to the general public not being very respectful to others property.

A landowner can easily control who, when, and where hunters are allowed on their property. I helped a 93 year old lady do just that in NE Oregon.

go_deep

WKR

HMA's are the answer. As the hunter you have to submit all your personal information through the G&F ahead of time along with plates of your vehicle. Owner can allow vehicles on their land, restrict it to walking only, whatever they choose, make a specific spot you have to park so they know when someone's out there, restrict hunting till after antlered hunt season so they can guide, or hunt themselves, they can even restrict it to a specific number of hunters per week or month, day hunts only no camping allowed. G&F pays the landowner, and then manages it all too.

jmez

WKR
They will require the hunters to have a licensed guide.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

LaFever

FNG
south east Wyoming is " the great plains" , I assume there are elk there in the late winter , on private land. so hunting elk there would requiring finding a rancher and paying for land access fee and trespass fee , that's okay but different then hunting elk in the fall . you could kill a cow for the freezer but it's an additional trip with the possibility of bad roads and heavy snow . might want to lookup the phrase " ground blizzard"

LostArra

WKR
I don’t know the extent of damage in these areas nor do I know any of the landowners in these areas. I will also agree that landowners abuse the system to make money off of these types of permits. However until you have large numbers of elk on your property causing massive amounts of damage and harming your livelihood, you have no right to call this a money grab by greedy landowners.

I don't think anyone (me) is calling it a money grab or greedy landowners but just stating they want to be paid for the damage the state's animals are doing to their property and there are multiple means to do this. Some of these methods involve having hunters on their land which is not acceptable to them.

wytx

WKR
south east Wyoming is " the great plains" , I assume there are elk there in the late winter , on private land. so hunting elk there would requiring finding a rancher and paying for land access fee and trespass fee , that's okay but different then hunting elk in the fall . you could kill a cow for the freezer but it's an additional trip with the possibility of bad roads and heavy snow . might want to lookup the phrase " ground blizzard"
The elk are there year round, Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer. Season opens in Aug and goes until Jan 31.
The problem is elk got to ranches that were once sanctuaries for them and now there are thousands. Access is very limited and most LOs only want folks they know on their property.
Poaching is a real issue in this area for all species and that also hampers access, LOs get real tired of dealing with poachers an tend to look at all hunters in a bad light because of it, not fair but how it happens.

Hunted in those ground blizzards many times, not fun but it can get done.

I don't think anyone (me) is calling it a money grab or greedy landowners but just stating they want to be paid for the damage the state's animals are doing to their property and there are multiple means to do this. Some of these methods involve having hunters on their land which is not acceptable to them.
My original post was not directed at anyone specific. I just wanted to have another perspective in this thread before it devolves into a “rich landowners bad” type of thread as has happened in the past with this sort of topic.