Up in smoke

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, writing a contract with your friend after the fact to try and acquire coverage would be insurance fraud. Prior home adjuster 20 plus years.

1. As noted check on replacement cost for your personal property .

2. Most home policies have trailer coverage to a specific limit for both trailers for watercraft and non watercraft. My policy is $3000. This would be by way of covered perils, which fire is.

3. Most home policies reference coverage for items not yours and using. If covered would be acv only.

4. Within the provisions portion of the policy it references whether there is other insurance for the items, this would be your friends other insurance. He would have to file a claim and if covered they would settle at prorata between the two coverages if both cover.

Glad no one is hurt.

Even if it is a rental you need to check with your agent. We rented an aluminum car hauler to take quads out west a few years ago, my dad was pulling it and had state farm. He called to check for coverage prior to the trip and they DID NOT want to cover it. The rental place didn't offer any coverage either. Took several phone calls and a few days before state farm would do anything with it.

sivart

WKR
I'd be very curious as to what the cause actually was? Some could learn here? I'm guessing the battery shorted out or was arched?

Dang sorry to see that.

I think you have until August to get an 80% refund on the kids elk tag in Montana.

If you can swing the deductibles and trailer cost from your savings, I would bet you can get enough free/loaner gear to hunt this year.

I have lots of gear and I’m close to MT. Probably right in your way through.

KenLee

WKR
Get a lawyer. It won’t cost you anything to reach out to one and they will get ahead of any issues. With it being such a small claim (to insurance) a lawyer will cost them more to deal with than it will cost them to pay the claim.
Most of the large auto insurance companies have defense firms on flat fee contracts.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
was the bike hot when you tied it down? we had a strap touch the exhaust once and it started to melt the strap and was smoking heavily to the point it almost ignited. so anything in there touching the exhaust could have done the same thing i would imagine.
Nope. Hadn’t been driven for a a while before it was tied down, and we were on the road for an hour already.

Cougar,
Glad to hear that nobody was injured! It doesn’t sound like your insurance is going to help much. There are many fine people on here with way too damn much stuff. I’m certain most would help another out of a jam. You lost a lot of items that may be hard to replace but, having to turn your son’s MT tag back in just breaks my heart! You can replace stuff but, memories and experiences with little ones outdoors are irreplaceable!

I, like many other Roksliders would be more than willing to contribute! Let’s have that list! I want to see some pics of that boy’s hunt this fall!

Sincerely,

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
Glad no one or any dogs got roasted. Too bad about the gear. Things will work out and a few lessons learned.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
is the trailer salvageable? just by a quick glance you could replace those planks and maybe some wiring and be good to go.. just looks like your run of the mill cheap utility trailer.

Ammo popping off in fires is generally very low risk with almost no risk of serious injury beyond eye injury. It can't develop much velocity without being confined to a gun barrel. Lots of real tests by agencies involved in firefighting.

Jethro

WKR
Glad you’re all ok and nice job getting the truck unhitched.

Those trailer tires/axles look pretty clean. That fire started in the gear.

Don’t rush to turn your son’s tag back in. Won’t be cheap and won’t be quick, but eventually you’ll have gear replaced. The trailer fire will become just a story you retell while on future trips. A hunt with your son though, you only get so many of those. Make the most of every opportunity.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in Montana and would be willing to loan gear for the hunt as well. Just PM if you need anything. I don't have a quad or a trailer but anything else.....

CorbLand

WKR
OP, I would wait for the deadline to return the tag. Like others have stated, many times we make things worse in our head than reality. I am sure Rokslide can come together and get you the stuff you need to make that hunt.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Dang sorry to see that.

I think you have until August to get an 80% refund on the kids elk tag in Montana.

If you can swing the deductibles and trailer cost from your savings, I would bet you can get enough free/loaner gear to hunt this year.

I have lots of gear and I’m close to MT. Probably right in your way through.
I appreciate that… I’m going to hold onto the tag until the last minute, but it probably won’t be in the cards. The cost of the tag combined with the cost of the hunt, rental truck, gas, etc is probably going to just be a bridge too far. I’m already financially committed to a DIY AK moose hunt, so that takes precedence.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Cougar,
Glad to hear that nobody was injured! It doesn’t sound like your insurance is going to help much. There are many fine people on here with way too damn much stuff. I’m certain most would help another out of a jam. You lost a lot of items that may be hard to replace but, having to turn your son’s MT tag back in just breaks my heart! You can replace stuff but, memories and experiences with little ones outdoors are irreplaceable!

I, like many other Roksliders would be more than willing to contribute! Let’s have that list! I want to see some pics of that boy’s hunt this fall!

Sincerely,
I appreciate it. Let me see how this plays out. I make a good living, and I think there are others out there in greater need. The biggest hits are the trailer and the ATV - the former was uninsured and the latter is going to get low-balled by the insurance company.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Ammo popping off in fires is generally very low risk with almost no risk of serious injury beyond eye injury. It can't develop much velocity without being confined to a gun barrel. Lots of real tests by agencies involved in firefighting.
Good to know. I didn’t know that at the time and I was sure I was going to take a bullet when I was getting the trailer off. I feel a lot less heroic now!

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
is the trailer salvageable? just by a quick glance you could replace those planks and maybe some wiring and be good to go.. just looks like your run of the mill cheap utility trailer.
I think the trailer is salvageable. The issue is the cost. The trailer isn’t covered, so I’ll probably get hit with a tow fee. The guys said the salvage fee is $260 and the storage is $40/day. Add in gas there and back, plus two new tires, wiring, and decking and it very well be a better use of my time to do some overtime and just buy a new trailer.