upgrade......or not

bnsafe

WKR
So want some thoughts, no controversy.
I have a b14 hunter in 308 that is my go to rifle. Not a top of the line by any stretch but shoots a little better than moa so no need for me to buy another rifle. When I bought it money was a bit tight so I put a 3x9x40 vortex diamondback on it with low talley rings. The bolt clears, but barely. Scope sits very low to barrel. 95 percent of the time I am hunting whitetails and shots are 50-75 yds. Some low light some mid day. Scope is clear, just cheaper.
I am thinking about upgrading the scope. I have a mule deer hunt this fall where shots could be 200 or closer, planning on a elk and moose hunt in the next 2-4 years but those shots would be a 100 or less also where I hunt.
I have great discounts on leupolds so thinking about putting a 3x9x50 vx freedom on it beings its not a top end rifle, or a vx3hd in 3.5x10x50 but hate to spend the extra money.
Is the freedom a step up from the diamond back or just another entry level scope.

Last edited:

49ereric

WKR
FX3 straight 6X is Worth consideration.
I mostly have vx3 low power variables but 2 of the straight 6X’s.

The Freedom line is the previous generation VX3.

Yes it’s a noticeable step up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The vx3 was replaced by the vx3i and now the vx3hd. The freedom line replaced the vx1, vx2 and rifleman scopes.

I’m not a fan on the diamondback and prefer the the diamondback hp better if you can find one. The eye relief on the standard diamondback is pretty short. I had a vx3i for a while and found I like my vortex vipers better. If you wait around you can find the hs or hslr for around $300, close to what the freedom will run, and I think it’s a much better scope. But it’s all opinions, I would suggest you go to a store that carries them all and look thru them. The one thing to keep in mind while looking thru a scope in store is it’s awful hard to compare them in low light situations, and that’s what usually sets them all apart.

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
I have a vx3hd 3.5-10 on a 7mm-08 and a VX freedom 4-12 on a 223, both are excellent scopes but the vx3 is definitely worth the extra $. The freedom might not be much of an upgrade to your vortex

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys, I think I will go with the vx3hs in 3x9x50. I love the vx5 in 2x10x42 but not sure its worth the extra money for what I do.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
You can get a 3-12x42 Diamondback HP for well under $200 and its easily nicer than the cheaper VX Freedom scopes. Just as good of eye relief, glass and you get side focus too. The VX3 HD is probably a reasonable step up

It has basically the same glass/coatings as the Vipers but in a 1" tube.