Upgrading clothes, dropping pack weight

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Reviewing my 2013 high country mule deer hunt and gear I think one of the areas I can improve is my clothing.

Currently for the upper body I have an ultra light bug skinz top (only worn during hiking), long johns, light polyester sweatshirt (0.886 lbs), med fleece hoodie (1.06lbs), and 1950’s military wool coat (1.545 lbs). While the system gives me the performance I need it’s very bulky and heavy. I was hoping to replace the light polyester sweatshirt, med fleece hoodie, and 1950’s military wool coat with a single piece of packable clothing and save about 2.5 lbs.

The time of year I hunt in the high country can be everything from mid 80’s deg F to mid 20’s. This year it ranged from 80 to 30, and I needed every bit of clothing I had to stay warm while glassing in the cold mornings, so dropping R value isn’t really an option. When I am on the move, I stay very warm, so just my long john top is enough (in fact I usually where the ultra light bug skinz top when hiking).

I am looking for something that packs small, is light, camo (or at least earth tones), and quiet moving through brush. Living and hunting in the PNW down is really probably not a good idea for me, so looking at synthetic puffy jackets.

These are the three that have cropped up on my list:
-Kryptek Kratos (19.5oz?)
http://www.kryptekstore.com/Kratos-Jacket-P37.aspx
-Sitka Kelvin-lite Jacket (14.4 oz from website)
http://www.sitkagear.com/products/big-game/jackets-vests/kelvin-lite-jacket
-UnderArmor cold gear infrared ridge reaper jacket (unknown weight)
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/...-ridge-reaper-primaloft-jacket/pid1233117-946
-First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy (19oz?)
http://www.firstlite.com/product_detail/666/uncompahgre-puffy

Any other options I missed?

Do people think that replacing my light hoodie, med fleece, and wool coat with one of these jackets will be a push in terms of warmth?

Any other ideas in general? See below for a picture and list of my clothes.

GOPR4978_zpseb07125f.jpg

Lightweight hat (in pack while hiking): 0.11lbs
Fleece Balaclava (in pack while hiking): 0.19
Camo Handkerchief (so I don’t have to bring sunscreen): 0.079
Blaze Oarange Vest (in pack while hiking) 0.214
UA long john top (in pack while hiking): 0.646
UA long john bottom (in pack while hiking): 0.419
UA compression shorts (always worn): 0.309
Cabelas Bug skin top (worn while hiking): 0.384
Light polyester hoodie (in pack while hiking): 0.886
Med Camo Fleece hoodie (in pack while hiking): 1.06
Wool Coat (in pack while hiking): 1.545
Pants (worn while hiking): 1.435
Gators (usualy in pack while hiking): 0.311
Fingerless light wool gloves (usually in pack): 0.106
Glacier gloves (usually in pack): 0.17
Thin facemask for stalking (usually in pack): 0.088
Second sock liner (always in pack): 0.046
Second Light wool socks (always in pack): 0.183
Heavy wool socks (almost always in pack): 0.269
Cabelas space rain jacket(almost always in pack): 0.60
Cabelas space rain pants(almost always in pack): 0.474
Camp shoes (always in pack): 0.445

Total clothes weight (on me and in my pack): 10.198 lbs

Total clothes weight that is usually in my pack during hiking: 7.841 lbs

Sorry for the long post, I like to be thorough. :cool:

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
I have been really happy with a primaloft jacket (Kuiu spindrift in my case) when worn under a shell of some kind. Shell can be either rain gear or a soft shell, but you need somethng to stop the wind.

I also carry a windstopper hat (Mtn Hardware) to put on when stopping for a while. You can bundle up and stay pretty warm. I like puffy pants with full leg zips for the same reason.

boom

WKR
i am far from an expert. your list looks like a lot!! (like why two hoodies?)

for example. i use a first like neck gaiter. it does a couple of things for me. keeps my neck warm, and if an animal is coming..i pull it up over my face for a facemask.

i have long ditched the bakclava and facemask since.

none of my clothing on a pack trip is a single use thing. i wouldnt have that wool jacket. i bring a light puffy, that can work into my layer system. all together, the system can handle super cold temps..and as it warms, or i move/sweat..i can strip down layers to adjust. i only wear merino wool now. i like how it doesnt stink, and i can slide into my sleeping bag wearing the stuff, without having to smell myself. :) the puffy jacket is also my nighttime pillow. it is some random Marmot jacket that packs into a pocket and is super light. down filled.

i still need merino wool bottoms, more underwear..and i need to rethink my pants. i just wear jean-like predator camo pants now.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Don't worry rain gear is on their and thats my outer shell. I live in the PNW after all, can't go anywhere without it.

Why two hoodies? Well, because I would have been cold with less. If I didn't have the wool jacket I wouldn't have been glassing at first light without a fire next to me. Thats why I want to replace my two hoodies and wool jacket with one warm, light, quiet, packible jacket.

I am prob going to ditch the thin facemask next year, but what I like about the bakclava is it's a hat, facemask, and neck gater. Really important because my sleeping bag has no hood, and I am in a bivy with a tarp.

How quiet are these puffy jackets? Would your try a stalk in them or still hunting wearing them?

I have the Sitka kelvin-lite jacket. It is really warm for it's size and weight. I use it with my 90% jacket and Traverse zip T for late season coyote hunting. I have been in the wind and around and below zero deg with this setup and haven't been cold. I think if you had your UA top and a good outer shell you would be fine. I don't know how the rain gear would work for an outer shell as far and wind and breathability.

As for sound I can't say that it is a little loader then my other jackets, but not much. I just don't think it would hold up going through the brush as well as other jackets. Almost like a beefier material that a lot of sleeping bags are made of.

On my Washington high hunt this year for clothing I took an orange adidas climalite ss shirt for my hunters orange and hiking/base shirt, the first lite chama qz, kuiu superdown hooded puffy and kuiu chugach rainjacket for tops. For bottoms it was first lite Allegheny bottoms, kuiu attack pants and chugach rain pants. I also had the guide beanie, first lite neck gator and some rubber type gloves. It snowed on us and I had just barely enough clothes but it was enough. Any of the puffys are going to be "loud and I wouldn't wear them alone for pushing brush. The only one from what I have heard is possible tough enough is also the heaviest one the uncompahgre made by first lite. I would even try it wearing my kuiu superdown.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input guys, so what I am hearing is this type of jacket really isn’t going to do what I hoped (cut my jackets from 3 to 1). At best I will cut from 3 to 2, save a bit of weight, but have more warmth than needed.

Any other ideas on how to accomplish this? It would still be an improvement, but far from optiomized.

boom

WKR
How quiet are these puffy jackets? Would your try a stalk in them or still hunting wearing them?

mine isnt loud..but it is fragile. thorns would blow it out. i have only worn it while glassing. if i move, i take it off and put my 90% back on. i cannot imagine hiking with that down jacket on. i would melt.

i admit. most of my time..i can wear my two first lite tops, a fleece vest, and the 90%. i get hot if i am walking. by the time i get to a ridgeline, i am down to one wool shirt and either just the vest or just the sitka. i set up the spotting scope and put on puffy. i;ve done this many times in the low 20's. i sweat alot. i really have to pay attention to sweat management.

you're probably in better shape than me, and sweat less. ;)

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
So given the feedback in this thread, it seems this is about the best I can do here:
Ultra light bug skinz top (.384lbs) long johns (.646lbs), med fleece hoodie (1.06lbs), and puffy coat (about 1 lb), blaze orange vest (.214lbs), and rain jacket (0.60lbs).

Total: 3.904lbs

Old list:
Ultra light bug skinz top (.384lbs) long johns (.646lbs), light polyester sweatshirt (0.886 lbs), med fleece hoodie (1.06lbs), 1950’s military wool coat (1.545 lbs), blaze orange vest (.214lbs) and rain jacket (0.60lbs).

Total: 5.335lbs

Improvement of 1.431lbs

I was really hoping there was a way to get another 1 lb out of there (by not taking my med fleece hoodie), but it sounds like the puffy coats have too many limitations for general use.

Any other way to skin this cat that I am missing? It still feels like my clothing is too specialized

you should be able to get by just fine with a merino baselayer, 230weight midlayer (poly or merino), a puffy, and a hardshell.
your long johns are also heavy. i dont bring a top but my bottoms in size L are 3-4oz.
my 230weighs 12oz, puffy 13oz, hardshell 13oz. baselayer 10oz.
3lbs
bottom for early season is shorts, gaiters, longjohns, rain pants. midwt merino and liner socks. merino underwear.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
you should be able to get by just fine with a merino baselayer, 230weight midlayer (poly or merino), a puffy, and a hardshell.
your long johns are also heavy. i dont bring a top but my bottoms in size L are 3-4oz.
my 230weighs 12oz, puffy 13oz, hardshell 13oz. baselayer 10oz.
3lbs
bottom for early season is shorts, gaiters, longjohns, rain pants. midwt merino and liner socks. merino underwear.

Ok, I see what you are doing. You are doubling up on base layers and then not having mid coat, where I am going the other way around. My "long john" are about 230 weight equivalant. I guess I could ditch the bug skinz I use to hike in, get a merino baselayer like you are talking about and go the one coat + rain shell route. That might save me a bit more.

when its wet and cold you should have no clothes left over. and when its hot and hiking you should be down to you merino base. maybe even a light poly shirt in the summer scouting, it is a layering system and you should have sufficient pieces to cover the typical weather you expect

marc

Lil-Rokslider
I use a KUIU Spindrift which is not really a puffy but it is quiet enough, and light weight enough, that I can still hunt in it. I also use 2 layers of merino, a KUIU 185 for base and a First Lite as my second, a russell outdoors primaloft puffy vest, the Spindrift, and KUIU rain shell.

2ski

WKR
What about one of those sitka or kryptek fleece lined shirts. Not as heavy as a sweatshirt. And a fleece vest. Shave a little weight without sleeves. So go merino base layer, fleese lined shirt, fleece vest, puffy, and then rain coat for outerwear. It might give you the piece of mind that you will be warm enough.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why not several layers of merino?
Both KUIU, First Lite, (and others) have multiple weights that would do you well.
Since you like hoodies here is an example:
Base: KUIU Merino 145 LS Crew or T (6-7ozs)
Mid to Heavy: First Lite Chama Hoody and/or go a little heavier with the Springer Vest (don't know the weights on these)
Then add a light weight puff jacket and your rain jacket.
I always wear a hard or soft shell over my puff jacket as it is fragile (Mont-Bell Thermawrap). But its only 12oz, so super light.

Smartwool also makes a Merino hoody. If you are still cold look for a super light puff vest to add as needed.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
when its wet and cold you should have no clothes left over. and when its hot and hiking you should be down to you merino base. maybe even a light poly shirt in the summer scouting, it is a layering system and you should have sufficient pieces to cover the typical weather you expect

Thats basicaly where I am now.

I use a KUIU Spindrift which is not really a puffy but it is quiet enough, and light weight enough, that I can still hunt in it. I also use 2 layers of merino, a KUIU 185 for base and a First Lite as my second, a russell outdoors primaloft puffy vest, the Spindrift, and KUIU rain shell.

The KUIU spin drift didn't make my list because they don't seem to sell it anymore. What is the weight of the setup you listed? That doesn't look like a bad path at all.

What about one of those sitka or kryptek fleece lined shirts. Not as heavy as a sweatshirt. And a fleece vest. Shave a little weight without sleeves. So go merino base layer, fleese lined shirt, fleece vest, puffy, and then rain coat for outerwear. It might give you the piece of mind that you will be warm enough.

I took a look at those, and assuming you are talking about the sherpa or transverse they are about same weight as my med fleece. I might save an oz or two, but nothing huge.

Why not several layers of merino?
Both KUIU, First Lite, (and others) have multiple weights that would do you well.
Since you like hoodies here is an example:
Base: KUIU Merino 145 LS Crew or T (6-7ozs)
Mid to Heavy: First Lite Chama Hoody and/or go a little heavier with the Springer Vest (don't know the weights on these)
Then add a light weight puff jacket and your rain jacket.
I always wear a hard or soft shell over my puff jacket as it is fragile (Mont-Bell Thermawrap). But its only 12oz, so super light.

Smartwool also makes a Merino hoody. If you are still cold look for a super light puff vest to add as needed.

Why not two base layers? Well, I do now. I run an ultra light base for hiking that all it really does is keep me from getting sunburned then a secound heavy set that for normal operation. What I think you are aluding too is I could ditch my two base layers for merino base layers gain enough warmth that I don't need my med fleece, but still not get too hot while hiking. I might have to finish up adding the numbers on that and see where that sits. Good idea.

Last edited:

marc

Lil-Rokslider
3 pounds 10 ounces, I wear medium in all of it. Add to the 2 pounds 4 ounces for my KUIU rain pant, attack pant and Patagonia merino base layer and you have my clothing list.

worx53

WKR
I wish Kuiu would make a superdown puffy with a queiter, more durable outer shell material even if it adds a little weight (like the Yukon outer material or even the new chugach nx). I wore the puffy alot by itself in Co this year and its fragile and noisy in any brush. I would even wear it alone treastand hunting here in the east if it was quieter and more durable. It's a great product but you have to wear something durable and quiet over it. Oh yeah I ripped mine in 5 minutes first time out.....tenacious tape I guess.

flatfoot

FNG
Thought I would add some additional weights in case you are still looking at the two wool and puffy option.
First Lite llano qz 8.2 oz; chama hoody 11.6 oz and uncomphagree 19 oz. These are all medium size with camo.

Just me but I don't see how you're going to replace 3 items for 1! The puffys are good but I think this might be a little of a stretch IMHO

but maybe a CHAMA HOODIE combined with the UNCOMPAGRE for that layer of merino!

I run FIRST LITEs clothing and LOVE IT!!

I had on my entire system elk hunting in 14 degree temps and 6" of snow couldn't have been more pleased